May 14, 2024, 08:44:54 PM

Author Topic: Is stranglevine and wall of thorns vine spells?  (Read 3800 times)

tubex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Is stranglevine and wall of thorns vine spells?
« on: December 02, 2014, 03:42:23 AM »
As the title says, are they vine spell? If not I might've just cheated on my every win with the druid :(

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Is stranglevine and wall of thorns vine spells?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 04:01:29 AM »
they are vine spells and the vine tree can deploy them in the deployment phase.

Why are you not looking at your cards? subtype says *vine*.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 04:01:53 AM »
Strangelvine is a Vine spell,

Wall of Thorns is not a a Vine spell.

You can tell by its subtype in top right corner :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

tubex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 04:08:42 AM »
I am looking at my tanglevines right now and nowhere do they say vine, except in tangleVINE ofc :)

Old cards?

Right, so that makes wall of thorns much less useful. Can't cast it with the vine tree then.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 05:02:46 AM »
Tanglevine spell was changed to Vine subtype in the Druid V Necromancer expansion. A few new cards were included in that expansion. All previously printed cards should have this subtype added.

Wall of Thorns is not a vine.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 05:28:11 AM »
Wall of Thorns isn't a vine but Bloodspine Wall is. So eh at least your Vine Tree can cast those.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »
There are 2 different types of cards that cause the druid problems, Vines and plants.  All Vines are Plants, but not all plants are vines.  For example, all of the "Trees" are plants, but none of them are Vines. The Wall of Thorns, while it looks like a Vine, (and may someday become one) is currently only a plant.

Tanglevine and Stranglevine were both Plant conjurations and got added the Vine subtype with the Driud Vs. Necro expansion. The cards may gain or change a subtype over time. Look at Magic the Gathering, many creatures had subtypes changed to allow smoother game play. In MW - Skeletal Sentry for years was not a solider, but with the 3rd printing of the Core set it is now considered a soldier and fits wonderfully in a Skeletal warlord build.

Just so you are aware, and an idea for you - Seedling pod is a vine conjuration. During your deployment phase, it my deploy a plant (remember all vines are plants, but not all plants are vines). You could use the seedling pod to deploy a Wall of Thorns, or the samara tree, to give the seedling pods cantrip.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
Like other people have said, the best thing to do is to check the cards. Subtype is listed in the top right hand corner below the Type. The only snag here is the fact that cards do occasionally get errata, so it might be best to check them on the card database rather than your physical cards in case you have outdated cards.

I also think V10lentray's suggestion for how to get around the subtypes is a good one if you don't need the spell immediately.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
Alas the Card DB does not reflect that errata as do many other items in the DB, I know Arcane Wonders is looking for a new web dude to take care of items like this.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest