May 04, 2024, 08:15:39 PM

Author Topic: Damage: how big is the package size?  (Read 2762 times)

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Damage: how big is the package size?
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »
When a creature takes damage from a single source does it take all the damage at once or does it take it in singular packets? This is important as there are immediate effects in the game that are triggered on "HIT". I understand I maybe approaching this from the wrong angle, but would like an official call on this.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Damage: how big is the package size?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »
Oh "hit" means the attack successfully reached the damage and effects step. You don't even have to deal damage, unless that's a separate stipulation of the effect. If you do deal damage, it is done all at once. Damage is done before Effects happen though. There was at one point a discussion whether damage and effects were simultaneous, with the consensus leaning towards they were, but it has since been decided that damage happens first. This just works better for a lot of things. For example, Corrode.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
For other purposes, I think the damage is dealt 1 point at a time. For evidence, see how Vampiric type abilities work: you only gain life for each point of damage dealt, up to the "life minus damage" left on the targeted creature. You can't get credit for overkill damage beyond what it would take to destroy the target.

A ruling related to this can be found here:
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16837.msg69761#msg69761
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
Nano has an unique perspective here. What is interesting is the sword of radiance will gain a valor if you do 5 or more damage but the defender had less then 5 total life. This makes me think there is not a standard
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »
There isn't currently a standard, but damage is definitely all dealt at once. You just have to review on a case by case basis whether excess damage matters. There's a bit more to this story, but I'm not sure how much I'm at liberty to say, so we'll leave it at the fact that Arcane Wonders knows this is a bit confusing and is working on a solution.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 06:01:12 AM »
I 'm sure damage is dealt all at once, Vampiric just has a cap on how much damage it references...