May 05, 2024, 08:47:12 AM

Author Topic: Apprentice spellbook cheat sheets  (Read 3335 times)

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
Apprentice spellbook cheat sheets
« on: May 08, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
So for the past couple of weeks, I have been teaching a few of my friend about this wonderful game and I found something that I was consistently doing that could possibly be remedied. When teaching a new person the game, I noticed, at least for me, it was difficult to make sure all the essential rules were explained at the beginning. During the game, I would forget to tell them about certain aspect about a spell until it was too late like the range at which they could summon a spell. For the most part, I let most rules slide as the apprentice mode suggest doing because there is no way a new mage could learn everything in the first go.

I was thinking of creating a cheat sheet for each apprentice deck that could contain certain things that a new mage would find very useful and it would, in turn, help cut down on rule explanation mid-battle. I was thinking it could include:
-All of the specific traits in the current apprentice spellbook that they are using and brief explanations about them (This was one of the top things I kept explaining to the new mage. Truthfully, it doesn't bother me at all to explain to them about a trait, but I find it hard not to correctly guess what they are going to summon next if they ask about a specific trait.)
-A breakdown of a spell card and an explanation for each piece of the spell card. ( Some of my friends caught on quickly, others it took them the whole game to try and figure out. Range and what type of actions (Quick or Full) is the top thing I found myself consistently explaining)
-Possibly some tips and tricks for using some of the spells in that spellbook. (Some general strategies to use certain cards in that spellbook)

This is what I have thought of so far. I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions that might be good to go on something like this?

I will go ahead and say the original rulebook for Mage Wars is perfect. I myself think Arcane Wonders has done a fantastic job in explaining all the nuances that go on within the game! This cheat sheet would in no way replace the knowledge that is given from the rulebook. This is sort of a way for new mages to have something available in front of them that would answer almost all the questions they might have for their first game.

If you think this is a bad idea or if someone else has already suggested this, please let me know and I will abandon this pursuit.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

dani20

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice spellbook cheat sheets
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 12:43:41 AM »
I think it would be a very good idea. As I've started to play less than a week ago, it would have been quite useful for me to have some extra explanation nearby. It isn't hard to search for traits in codex, but some examples would be good, especially for people with little experience in boardgames.

Some general strategies for each mage would also be great for beginners. Even the Apprentice spell book has fewer spells, there are a lot of cards for a new player to choose from. I still have trouble opening my games; I can't decide which spells should I play first. Of course there are games online to watch, but some general tips and strategies would be better.
Please excuse my bad English :)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:46:16 AM »
This is a great idea. I'd say you'll need to build it, use it a few times, and figure out what needs to be added/removed as you go.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 07:16:17 AM »
I had mentioned this idea earlier to LordofWinter and he came up with a rough idea of what I was imagining for the Wizard (which I thank him for). I am currently working on the Beastmaster. The link is a screenshot of the basic format for what the cheat sheet would contain. In terms of appearance, I will worry about that after I get down what the finalized information will be.

Any comments, concerns, suggestions? Anything need to be added or taken away? On the one hand, I don't want to put too much information on the sheet because then it sort of defeats the purpose. The new mage might as well just look at the original rulebook. On the other hand, I want to try to include everything a new mage might have questions about. Gotta find the right balance.

http://puu.sh/8FgCI/77c4d2ec73.png
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"