May 05, 2024, 07:07:59 PM

Author Topic: Net Building.  (Read 2921 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Net Building.
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:52:50 AM »
Here is a post where we can debate the pros and cons of sharing your book online and using a book you see online. My views are simple enough. I will play a book I find online if I want to test out that style or to help a new player learn a mage I don't play much. I've never entered a tournament or even casual play meeting with a book I got online as I personally prefer to make my own. I'm cool with anyone using my books, in the unlikely chance I have to fight a mirror match I probably play it better.....or I'll learn something new.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Net Building.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:11:49 AM »

Here is a post where we can debate the pros and cons of sharing your book online and using a book you see online. My views are simple enough. I will play a book I find online if I want to test out that style or to help a new player learn a mage I don't play much. I've never entered a tournament or even casual play meeting with a book I got online as I personally prefer to make my own. I'm cool with anyone using my books, in the unlikely chance I have to fight a mirror match I probably play it better.....or I'll learn something new.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I also prefer to use my own books, but I don't mind if other people use them too. I  encourage it even. I really need to post more spellbooks on here to be honest. Some of them I'm saving until I have the chance to use them in competitive play before I share them though.

Also, I've been meaning to start net decking more so that I can learn how to use some of the other mages better because so far I've mostly specialized in forcemaster with a bit of wizard on the side. I specialized in the arraxian crown warlock for a awhile before i switched to forcemaster. I've also dabbled with the malakai priest a bit, and even less so with all of the other mages except Paladin and Siren which I haven't played as at all yet. Basically no one plays preconstructed formats here, so it's probably better to just netdeck if you want to get better at using a mage you're not as familiar with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:41:08 AM »
And no one says that you cannot modify a netbook.  For example, I would never play most of the netbooks that people post because I do not like the lack of creatures (I prefer to have 3-4 creatures on the board all of the time, meaning that I need a minimum of 6-8 creatures in a spellbook to tolerate attrition).

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »
I have no problem with sharing my books online or with others sharing books.  My view is that the more that is shared about the game the better!  Seeing new strategies and concepts is fascinating and only helps the community build better books.  The constructive criticism for tweaking a book can only be done by posting books in the first place. 

I get that others can see the books and copy ideas but it's no different than watching a match online or spectating a tournament game and seeing all of the cards that are played.  You get the overall idea of the book and what cards are used for the strategy. 

That being said, I am not a advocate of "net decking" where you copy every strategy and card that someone else played for your books.  If you are a mage wars beginner it seems reasonable to do that to get a grasp on what cards work with certain strategies.  But, after that, I believe that you should be of the mindset "This was a cool idea, how can I make this my own using my new knowledge, play style, strategies, etc."?
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:10:40 PM »
I have no problem with sharing my books online or with others sharing books.  My view is that the more that is shared about the game the better!  Seeing new strategies and concepts is fascinating and only helps the community build better books.  The constructive criticism for tweaking a book can only be done by posting books in the first place. 

I get that others can see the books and copy ideas but it's no different than watching a match online or spectating a tournament game and seeing all of the cards that are played.  You get the overall idea of the book and what cards are used for the strategy. 

That being said, I am not a advocate of "net decking" where you copy every strategy and card that someone else played for your books.  If you are a mage wars beginner it seems reasonable to do that to get a grasp on what cards work with certain strategies.  But, after that, I believe that you should be of the mindset "This was a cool idea, how can I make this my own using my new knowledge, play style, strategies, etc."?
I would argue that it's not just beginners at the game overall put also expert players at particular Mages who aren't as familiar with other Mages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
I don't care if anyone uses my books... they turn out to be not all that good anyway :)

As for me, I look through books that seem similar to whatever I'm making or modifying at home. I use them for inspiration and to see whether there are spell synergies that I am overlooking. For example, I started to play around with Cassiel recently and looked through a bunch of books to see what spells were being added to people's books for her to cast (if she was in them).

On posting books... I don't have whatever it is that makes the books look fancy, and find typing all of the spells in and formatting the post neatly to be a pain in the neck.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess