May 05, 2024, 04:00:29 PM

Author Topic: Favorite aspect?  (Read 6647 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Favorite aspect?
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:15:02 PM »
What's your favorite aspe t of Mage Wars? What I mean is what do you live most about it.

For me it's the competition I have locally.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite aspect?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 01:33:19 PM »
The fact that i can make any book concept i want with very little to no restrictions.
Also choosing any card at any time is sweet!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:00:10 PM »
Mage wars feels real, every creature, every attack magic ... have the qualities one would expect from them.

A good example is "Geyser" not only that he is a water attacking spell he can extinguish fire.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 02:29:29 PM »
Mage wars feels real, every creature, every attack magic ... have the qualities one would expect from them.

A good example is "Geyser" not only that he is a water attacking spell he can extinguish fire.

Yeah, when i first started playing i thought it was awesome that knight of westlock had lightning +2 because he wears metal armor
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 03:26:05 PM »
It's the feeling of scale, for me.
The game's just so authentic in making you feel like there's an actual battle between two powerful Mages going on.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 03:26:11 PM »
I'm just a huge fan of the feel of the game in that it's very much a duel. Just your book, your wits, and your skill against your opponents.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 03:35:55 PM »
Speaking of this topic, if the artwork were not as good as it is I would not be so excited about mage Wars.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 04:14:17 PM »
I remember playing a PBM (really... by mail... that long ago) that was similar... only on a big hex grid instead. The mages cast spells, and gained power from controlling the hexes. This was a reminder of that game when I saw it... so it had fond memories going for it.

What I like about Mage Wars is three-fold: 1) The strategy involved... the movement around the arena, and the flexibility in how you use your resources, 2) The similarities to chess as a game, of which I am a big fan, and 3) The fantasy setting, which I enjoy as well.

My interest is kept in place by not having "killer" spells that can take out one's entire opposition (though some of the recent ones have started to come close... Tsunami and Pillar of Righteous Flame immediately come to mind).
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
My favorite part of Mage Wars is being able to play mind games and predict my opponents move.
There is no better feeling than directly countering your opponents play by correctly reading them and the board state and prepping accordingly.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 06:23:31 PM »
The sheer amount of freedom to customize the game to play it however I want. I actually think of Mage Wars as a tabletop fantasy combat system rather than an individual game by itself for that reason. It's also why I really wish there were a lot more people playing this game. Most people play only vanilla of any particular game, and Mage Wars has SO MUCH potential for customization of strategies and formats that is largely untapped and probably always will be, judging by the fact that the game is 5 years old and there is basically no competitive 2v2 meta that I've heard of. Or domination for that matter.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:26:50 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »
I like the fact that they have strong female characters that play as hard as the male characters.  The Forcemaster is the equal of any other mage in hand-to-combat, especially with the introduction of Academy, and the Priestess is still arguably the hardest mage to kill in Mage Wars.  It is one of the reasons why I think a Mage Wars video game would be so successful because girls and women would have strong female characters that they could identify with.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »
miniatures as cards that enable such a nuanced strategy game that can also be played at a competitive level.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 09:40:13 PM »
S-P-E-L-L-B-O-O-K-S

The pure genius of Mage Wars is the removal of the Draw mechanic.  All of a sudden you have unrestricted access to the spell that you put in your book to deal with that other spell your opponent put in his book.  No hoping for enough land, no hoping for enough removal no hoping for enough pressure no need to draw more cards.

Which, incidentally, is one of the major selling points of Academy to me.  No planning phase.  Go and grab your reaction card instantly.

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 04:32:07 AM »
Tactical gameplay, you have to outplay your opponent, actualliy piloting the deck matters! the player matters much much more than the deck.

the distribution model is great! (except in core ) you can get all the cards super cheap, with playsets!

great deckbuilding,  picking any card you want,  grid,movement, the cards much the flavor

each mage is unique with his own strategies

the art is nice, i dont like the flavor text on many cards , and sometimes the game can take too long, but that's the only things i dont like in MW

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 06:10:46 AM »
I like the fact that they have strong female characters that play as hard as the male characters.  The Forcemaster is the equal of any other mage in hand-to-combat, especially with the introduction of Academy, and the Priestess is still arguably the hardest mage to kill in Mage Wars.  It is one of the reasons why I think a Mage Wars video game would be so successful because girls and women would have strong female characters that they could identify with.

Is this what you like most about Mage Wars?
Your reason to play this game?