May 06, 2024, 01:42:22 AM

Author Topic: Practice Report.  (Read 2816 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Practice Report.
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:14:25 PM »
So a few of us got together for some practice today. Sadly one of our new players is moving a little further away but he's playing a lot on OCTGN now and he's hoping to make it for our big events.

I made two books to practice, siren and a wizard. Of course I left them both at home so I ended up practicing with my Warlord some more(the Straywood doesn't need practice I ran him a few days ago and owned.) Warlords coming along nice but I need more non-living in the book.

I fought a Force Master from Littlenog today. Seriously he's getting terrifying. I won due to a mistake he made....he won't make it again.

Fought a new and improved Necromancer book from Jimillia. She's going back to basics and trying an entirely different approach. It's scary if you're not ready for it. Why don't more people use Rise Again and Animate Dead? If you can manage your mana they're insane.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: Practice Report.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 09:44:34 PM »
So a few of us got together for some practice today. Sadly one of our new players is moving a little further away but he's playing a lot on OCTGN now and he's hoping to make it for our big events.

I made two books to practice, siren and a wizard. Of course I left them both at home so I ended up practicing with my Warlord some more(the Straywood doesn't need practice I ran him a few days ago and owned.) Warlords coming along nice but I need more non-living in the book.

I fought a Force Master from Littlenog today. Seriously he's getting terrifying. I won due to a mistake he made....he won't make it again.

Fought a new and improved Necromancer book from Jimillia. She's going back to basics and trying an entirely different approach. It's scary if you're not ready for it. Why don't more people use Rise Again and Animate Dead? If you can manage your mana they're insane.
Animate dead is especially nasty when used in the same way its used with double dragon.
Seriously, free creatures are amazing.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:33:37 AM »
Animate dead is especially nasty when used in the same way its used with double dragon.

Sorry, what do you mean by this?

I've always found Animate Dead to be rather poor, although I get good use out of Rise Again on occasion...

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 06:51:00 AM »

Sorry, what do you mean by this?

I've always found Animate Dead to be rather poor, although I get good use out of Rise Again on occasion...
If used in a certain way, you can use animate dead on creature that originally cost you 0 mana to cast. No spawnpoint, just when you cast them, they cost 0.
The Phoenix shall rise.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:04:31 AM »
Mana siphon and essence drain to make upkeep unbearable for the enemy is a solid play. Then use rise again and animate dead on the creatures they couldnt pay for! So much fun!

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:26:54 AM »
It was the 'Double Dragon' reference I didn't understand...

My problem with Animate Dead (and Resurrection), is there is no mana discount, and I'd rather just put an extra copy of the creature I am likely to want to cast in my book, than have to rely on what's available in a discard pile. Given that the game is about killing a mage, not creatures, I find that by the time something I want is dead and waiting, the game is often almost over - the right creature in my book would have come out much earlier...

I get (very) niche use in ForceMaster, etc, but even that's marginal. Essentially it gives you some versatility and choice, but it costs you a lot of precision and control over choice of creature and timing. In a game with spell selection, rather than card draw, that's usually a poor trade in my experience, and especially here.