May 15, 2024, 04:37:11 PM

Author Topic: Bashcon 2014  (Read 29706 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bashcon 2014
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 03:16:06 PM »
I am changing all list to forum code format
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

JollyRahjer

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
These look pretty cool!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »
Let me know what you think I am looking for feedback before our next event @ Origins Game Fair 2014
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 06:00:34 PM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:30:07 PM by Shad0w »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
I am looking at a few different tourney programs. If anybody knows a good program I can use for android let me know.

The one I used this time does not like byes so Carlos did not get a win credit for round 2. When it did the math overall it said Thomas was worth more points on ties than Jackson was. That is why Carlos got 4th and Jackson got 3rd. Even though Carlos won v Jackson in round 4. I can agree with that since Thomas won against 2 players.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »
Let me know what you think I am looking for feedback before our next event @ Origins Game Fair 2014

I loved the reports. I really got excited and into rooting for my favorite mage. Being able to see the spell books that was used is really cool too as I can try to imagine how the matches went and what challenges they could pose for each other. I really wish I could have seen the actual matches. With that in mind I have two suggestions:

1) recordings of the matches. I don't honestly expect this to happen as it would require equipment, labor, and probably legal waivers.

2) commentary on the matches. Again I guess this is unreasonable because you can't really watch all of the matches to give us a detailed report, but I'm dying to know how things actually went down, lol.

Other than those very unreasonable suggestions, I think you did a very good job keeping us informed about how the tournament was going. Who played what, who played against whom, who won, what else could we really ask for? Thank you so much Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »

1) recordings of the matches. I don't honestly expect this to happen as it would require equipment, labor, and probably legal waivers.

2) commentary on the matches. Again I guess this is unreasonable because you can't really watch all of the matches to give us a detailed report, but I'm dying to know how things actually went down, lol.

Other than those very unreasonable suggestions, I think you did a very good job keeping us informed about how the tournament was going. Who played what, who played against whom, who won, what else could we really ask for? Thank you so much Shad0w.

I do know somebody that can do both. He works in the movie industry so he has all the video and audio equipment, but like anybody else he would need to get paid for the work. I know his day rate  :o and I do not see this happening anytime soon.  8) Thanks for the feedback.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:49:57 PM by Shad0w »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
I am looking at a few different tourney programs. If anybody knows a good program I can use for android let me know.

The one I used this time does not like byes so Carlos did not get a win credit for round 2. When it did the math overall it said Thomas was worth more points on ties than Jackson was. That is why Carlos got 4th and Jackson got 3rd. Even though Carlos won v Jackson in round 4. I can agree with that since Thomas won against 2 players.

I don't know of any good programs to use, but I am curious what the official scoring system is? I had heard it was something like:

Win = 5 points
Timed win = 3 points
Draw = 1 point
Loss = 0 points

Is this correct? If so, what about the following:

Buy = 5 points or 3 points?
Timed loss = 1 point or 0 points?

Assuming the above is correct and assuming a buy is worth 3 points, I come up with the following:

Josh = 20 points
Thomas = 8 points
Carlos = 8 points
Jackson = 5 points
Alex = 5 points

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2014, 07:24:02 PM »

I don't know of any good programs to use, but I am curious what the official scoring system is? I had heard it was something like:

Win = 5 points
Timed win = 3 points
Draw = 1 point
Loss = 0 points

Is this correct? If so, what about the following:

Buy = 5 points or 3 points?
Timed loss = 1 point or 0 points?

Assuming the above is correct and assuming a buy is worth 3 points, I come up with the following:

Josh = 20 points
Thomas = 8 points
Carlos = 8 points
Jackson = 5 points
Alex = 5 points

It was 3 points for a win and 1 for a tie

In addition to that 5 tiebreaker points for Win before time
3 for timed win
Loss was 0 TB points

Drops removed you from standings

Josh      12 + 20 tbp
Thomas 06 + 08 tbp
Jackson 03 + 05 tbp + Strength of schedule
Carlos   03 + 05 tbp + Strength of schedule
(Carlos did not get a win credit for round 2 software does not credit byes)

Alex      03 + 05 tbp (Dropped)

So with a tie for 3rd it looked at strength of schedule. When it did the math overall it said Thomas was worth more points on ties than Jackson was. That is why Carlos got 4th and Jackson got 3rd. Even though Carlos won v Jackson in round 4. I can agree with that since Thomas won against 2 players.

If it was a win because the other play no showed it would have been 3 points 5 tbp and the player that did not show is auto dropped.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:27:42 PM by Shad0w »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 07:54:58 PM »
Thank you for sharing that. I can see where my info was off by not distinguishing tie breaker points.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
Thank you for sharing that. I can see where my info was off by not distinguishing tie breaker points.

Big thing is none of the swiss tourney software I found would let me do a 5/3 win. Only 3 or 2 and  for draws 2, 1, or 0 points and 1 or 0 loss

JollyRahjer

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2014, 08:39:50 PM »
Perhaps an annotation system would be handy (like they have in chess)? People at home could do it themself. Players in tourneys could do it if they feel they could still focus on the match. Volunteers could be drafted to annotate the more important rounds.

(Man i hate foruming on my phone :p )

JollyRahjer

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
Perhaps an annotation system would be handy (like they have in chess)? People at home could do it themself. Players in tourneys could do it if they feel they could still focus on the match. Volunteers could be drafted to annotate the more important rounds.

Ooh an idea just popped into my head as i hit submit. Perhaps there could be an app for that...

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »

We tried something like that at Origins and Gencon last year. Even knowing they had to do it some players did not. So when it came time to verify for draw breaker they could not and the other person got the win.

JollyRahjer

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
Unless it was as simple as the chess anotation system (e.g. e2-e4), I would find it time consuming and distracting. I don't really see a simple system happening for this game, either.

Perhaps I should dust off my Android development for dummies book and get busy lol