May 02, 2024, 05:32:05 AM

Author Topic: Wizard vs Warlock  (Read 5134 times)

Dragonsborn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Alea iacta est.
    • View Profile
Wizard vs Warlock
« on: January 29, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »
I build my deck according to air wizard by jmoodie, I only added a wizard tower instead of seeking dispels. The game started as I moved one up and played Gate to Voltari. He played enchanter's ring. Then, I harmonized my gate. He played a hidden enchantment. The game evolved as I got a lot of mana, I spawned a Gorgon archer and began to shoot his Adramalach. He finally killed my Adramalech, but the next turn I played Wizard's tower with thunderbolt. I just shot him every turn and his mage was stunned every turn. My opponent didn't like our game. Is it correct that you can shoot with wizard tower after your quickcast action with your mage? And what's a defense against this strategie? It's based around Gate to Voltari and Wizard's tower. In combination, my opponent had no answer to it. Does anyone have an idea?
Dragonsborn

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard vs Warlock
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »
Yes you can shoot after your QC if its before you creatures activation ,but you can't bind thunderbolt to wizard tower because it is a full cast attack spell

labartels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
Yes- similar thing happened to me - I played my third game with thunderbolt attached to a wand.....wooops!

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:18:40 PM »
Thunderbolt can attach to a wand the elemental wand doesn't have the NON EPIC QUICK ATTACK SPELL restriction, it only has NON EPIC restriction

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »
To answer your other question, force hammer kills any corporeal conjuration pretty good.

lettucemode

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:31:14 PM »
Remember that a mage can still cast non-attack quick spells while Stunned. Your friend could have put up a Block, used Teleport to get out of range of the tower, or put down a Wall to block line of sight from the tower.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:06:58 PM »
You can not cast with the wizards tower during either quick cast phase. It can only be used during the creature action phase before or after you activate a creature. Now you can also use the quick cast marker during the creature action phase before or after activating a creature, so during that time you could use the tower after a quick cast.

As others have pointed out, thunderbolt was an illegal bind, but there are other attack spells with decent stun chances, so the question of how to combat it remains relevant. I would recommend storm hide armor to reduce the damage and stun chance, possibly combined with elemental cloak. -3 to the stun chance is pretty big. I like this better than running away as the warlock probably wants to be aggressive. A block spell to stop it for sure though is a good idea. Destroying the tower is risky though because the wizard might have another one. Separating the tower from both mages with a wall could work, but only if you are both on the same side of the wall. If you leave the wizard with the tower he will be able to simply build up better than you and crush you at his leisure.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 05:18:07 PM »
could also use earthquake and try to destroy the tower

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 08:14:57 PM »
could also use earthquake and try to destroy the tower

Force Hammer would be way better.

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 12:30:23 AM »
I think the main point here is that is is possible to get stun locked without recourse to most defenses.  The offending issue is that the Wizard can clear lots of protective abilities with Arcane Zap and then follow through with a Lightning Bolt for a 5/12th Stun chance.

I think the most mana efficient counter-play to this strategy is probably either Force Orb (because you get to use the defense on what you want and could save it for an L. Bolt or whatever), or to put something like Wall of Fog in the way of the tower.  It's cheap, and any spell the tower would use to blow through it probably costs more.
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."