May 03, 2024, 09:05:19 AM

Author Topic: Charm/Mind Control Between Action Phases  (Read 3365 times)

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Charm/Mind Control Between Action Phases
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:22:27 PM »
This comes up in many games I play. Can Charm and Mind Control be revealed between the QC action phase and the normal action phase? I have always assume yes, because they are both action phases in the action stage. The wording is not quite clear in several places.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Charm/Mind Control Between Action Phases
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:40:38 PM »
Because of the rulebook wording, i wouldn't consider the quickcast phase part of the action phase, as it's two separate subjects. The action phase is when players start taking actions with creatures starting with the player with initiative. My opinion is since it specifies between action phases one player has to take an action first as going from the quickcast phase to the first action phase isn't between action phases. Don't take that as official though.

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 03:30:11 AM »
I can't disagree with you, but because they are both phases and both in the action stage it remains fuzzy to me. Would love to get something official on this.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:05:17 AM »
Well my reasoning is that the card mind control specifies action phases. There is the quickcast phase and the action phase, and then they are part of the same action stage. But i don't consider the quickcast phase an action phase because.. well they are specified as different. I always waited to use it after someone got an action, but I'm waiting to see if there is a small gap before the first action is taken. I feel there shouldn't be, as the normal timing is at the end of a phase, and the end of the quickcast phase is still not the action phase, but mind control specifies timing overrides kind of.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »
From the v2 rulebook:

You may choose to reveal your enchantment at any time, as long as you do not interrupt an action or event, even if it is your opponent’s turn!

So if are the controller and one of these hidden enchantments and you choose to utilize your Quick Cast during the Action Phase before you utilize the Mages Action, you would still meet the wording requirements of the spell as it is before your Mage Activation, you also could do it after your Mages activation. The same would apply if it is the opposing mages "turn" and he performs the same action above. It might up set him as you would more than likely interrupt his planned chain of events (a good thing in my mind).

To summarize: if an action marker for a creature in the Arena has not been turned over you may cast Charm/Mind Control.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
I think this makes sense. I usually cast it in the QC phase and then reveal before the creature would take an action. A Quickcast itself is referred to as a "Quickcast Action" both in the original codex, the new one, the FAQ, etc.

Edit: Sorry, I mean I reveal it as soon as the QC phase ends and before either mage begins the regular action phase. To me that is taking place "between action phases".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:55:41 PM by somaddict »

Silverhaze

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 08:23:21 AM »
So if i'm correct i can't enchant and reveal charm with my mage's full action ?

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 07:42:35 PM »
Enchant on your Mage's action, then as soon as your action phase is over, you can reveal it.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess