May 15, 2024, 07:03:39 AM

Author Topic: When do people play this on OCTGN?  (Read 4008 times)

atljr17

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
When do people play this on OCTGN?
« on: October 09, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »
Hello everyone I want to see how active this site is and octgn. I love this game and want to learn more and play more, but i don't know people around my home that plays so I have to use OCTGN. Can people post on here there game tags and when they play? Everytime I get on there isn't anyone that is on to play against therefore not allowing me to ever play. Only time I do get to play is live with my brother in law, but thats been like 10-20 games in the last 2 years. Any help would be great as I would like to be more active in this game, but if I can never play I feel my love for it will diminish soon. Thanks!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: When do people play this on OCTGN?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 02:41:54 PM »
Hey man
I think most people are waiting for the new sets to come out. I usually play on weekends that I'm home, or after 8 pm on weekdays. I've noticed a ton of activity on our Facebook and YouTube lately. My guess is when Thebes new sets are available you'll see a lot more people playing.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

atljr17

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 06:19:59 PM »
Hey Coshade thanks for replying. Yes I love your videos and watch most of them keep them coming! Yea I try to check on the weekends and no activity then checked some late on week nights I got one game in against Werekingdom and he suggested I need to play in the ADMW tourney? Idk if I'm that good yet but trying to learn more and more.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:52:17 AM »
I used to play pretty often in the evening. (west european time)

But as coshade mentioned, i dont play anymore because the database is outdated. No warlock or priestess academy and no PvS.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 06:08:32 AM »
I played last winter and will play again during winter. And also I am waiting for academy cards to be included.

atljr17

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 07:11:19 AM »
So basically people only want to play against new mages or possibly new invented spellbooks. Winter season does make sense. I suppose I'm just behind with everyone as I was introduced to this game not very long ago and just now have played each expansion Mage and all academy mages one time with the presuggested decks. That's why I'm trying to get more games in and learn more so I can actually play competitively with people. I love to just play for fun but I'm sure most people that play still are fairly experienced and good players. Is there an estimated release for academy and PvS cards to be launched on octgn? Thanks for the input!

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 07:38:21 AM »
I don't think people only want to play new mages. But there has been a lack of a new mage for years and people are waiting really long. That is why that hype is probably huge.
Some missing cards are important since new metas are developing and people want to play their books as they are now, not a retro version of it. But most books will only need a small bunch of cards from acadamy. I guess it's more the feeling of incompleteness thats that's stopping octgn.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 08:00:39 AM »
I don't think people only want to play new mages. But there has been a lack of a new mage for years and people are waiting really long. That is why that hype is probably huge.
Some missing cards are important since new metas are developing and people want to play their books as they are now, not a retro version of it. But most books will only need a small bunch of cards from acadamy. I guess it's more the feeling of incompleteness thats that's stopping octgn.

I think this is exactly it. It's not as simple as only wanting new mages, most sets (to be successful) will have cards that find homes in all sorts of spellbooks. I'm only interested in playing and refining my current versions of spellbooks, not getting games in with last year's version of that book. Take a set like Academy:WvB - even if you forget the rest of the set, consider just 3 cards - Leather Chausses, Crumble and Disperse. Those cards are staples and most books will have one of each, and certainly one or more of those cards. Not having them available makes everything artifcial (and for me, and players like me at least) pointless.

Now Academy Priestess and Warlock have less of an impact, with PvS probably having in between, but each set release is not just about new mages (exciting as that is) but the fact it shakes up old ones. And having planned and played those changes, no-one wants to go back to old versions, in a metagame that doesn't exist any more.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
When do people play this on OCTGN?
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 08:22:04 AM »

I think this is exactly it. It's not as simple as only wanting new mages, most sets (to be successful) will have cards that find homes in all sorts of spellbooks. I'm only interested in playing and refining my current versions of spellbooks, not getting games in with last year's version of that book. Take a set like Academy:WvB - even if you forget the rest of the set, consider just 3 cards - Leather Chausses, Crumble and Disperse. Those cards are staples and most books will have one of each, and certainly one or more of those cards. Not having them available makes everything artifcial (and for me, and players like me at least) pointless.

Now Academy Priestess and Warlock have less of an impact, with PvS probably having in between, but each set release is not just about new mages (exciting as that is) but the fact it shakes up old ones. And having planned and played those changes, no-one wants to go back to old versions, in a metagame that doesn't exist any more.

Excuse me, but do people have a problem with block formats or something?

I think we should be encouraging more people to play in block formats. They're more friendly to newer or poorer players who don't own as many expansions yet. If almost no one is playing simply because they don't want to use spellbooks from an older block, that's kinda sad.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:25:44 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 08:54:13 AM »
Excuse me, but do people have a problem with block formats or something?

I think we should be encouraging more people to play in block formats. They're more friendly to newer or poorer players who don't own as many expansions yet. If almost no one is playing simply because they don't want to use spellbooks from an older block, that's kinda sad.

Yes - I am utterly opposed to them.

I DO play mages from older blocks, but with new cards in them (where applicable). The biggest problem MW has  is not enough cards coming through quickly enough, why would I make that situation worse on myself, and go back to playing 2013 books?

If that works for you then great, but it's absolutely the opposite direction to my desire and interest. I want massively bigger environments and cardpools - the entirety of MW is about equivalent to a single old MtG block, let alone a Standard environment (2x blocks + base set).

No, playing with anything other than all cards available is of no interest, until the card pool grows far bigger than it's likely to get in the next 10 years.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »
Hopefully THIS will help
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »
I hate block formats.

That being said, tpark17, I am not against playing old mages. I still love playing with every core mage. I didn't like the wizard in the past but with his errata I even enjoy him now. But I have played for a very long time with the current meta, and I just don't like playing with mages knowing I have cards at home that would boost your deck a lot but I can't use on OCTGN.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

atljr17

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 02:51:27 PM »
For me to be honest I love seeing the new mages and there abilities I do but at the same time the core set had 300 some cards I believe and what I loved about the game is everyone had the same access to the same cards so you could see who plays the best with just those cards now with all the promos and extra cards out of school every set it makes for a newcomer or inexperienced player hard to catch up with all the options of cards. Like I said I've only played with each Mage and the preset decks given with them so there are tons of cards I haven't even seen reach the board and just when I try to catch up there's new cards. But part of that is my fault for getting into the game late. I'm really looking forward to PvS but I know it's more cards. But I understand u need new Options and flavors to keep the business going.