May 18, 2024, 03:14:26 PM

Author Topic: Is Counterspelling with walls possible?  (Read 2352 times)

Taruslar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Is Counterspelling with walls possible?
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:52:00 AM »
Hi to everybody,

does somebody know if it is possible to counterspell with walls?

For Example:

A Mage is casting a range Attackspell on me, like Fireball. After step one at the casting-phase i want to cast a wall of stones, wall of fire or fog bank to block LOS. Is the Fireball cancelled? Or will it go through the walls of fire and the wog bank and hits me, the wall of stones blocking complete? Or will it all time damaging the walls?

Thanks for helping me to understand the rules.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Is Counterspelling with walls possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:37:52 AM »
You cannot quickcast or take a quick action when it's not your turn in the round to activate your mage or friendly creature.  The only time I know of that you can do something while an opposing mage or creature is acting is revealing enchantments, and only in between particular events of that creature's action phase.  Hence, why counterspells like Nullify and Jinx are enchantments; no other card type has the ability to do things during the action phases of an opponent's creatures.

I might be forgetting an exception, but long story short, you cannot cast walls when it's not your turn to act.  Thus, you cannot cut off LoS in that way and counter a spell.

There's a section in the rulebook that specifically goes over the steps you go through when casting a spell.  I think going over that again could give you a better understanding of how exactly countering a spell works (since there is literally a step for it).

Also, if you don't feel like trawling through the rulebook, here's a link to the youtube series that goes over spellcasting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0K0e6anR6M&list=PL59opxr_1pUsU2yXOp7CQJqZarwRP9rob&index=6

Go to 4:50 for your answer.  Hope that helps.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:28:59 AM »
Yeah, what he said.  Your 'Quick Cast' is not like instants/interrupts in Magic: the Gathering, you can use it (in initiative order) at the start of a round, at the end of a round, or at the start or end of a friendly creatures action.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »
One thing you could do to achieve a similar result is cast a wall during the first quickcast phase, disrupting your opponent's LoS, if you suspect your opponent will try to cast something on you the first chance he/she gets.  This will only work if you have initiative, however, otherwise you'll cast the wall too late to achieve the desired effect.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock