May 07, 2024, 05:52:58 PM

Author Topic: So I played my first 8 Academy games  (Read 3012 times)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
So I played my first 8 Academy games
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:28:58 PM »
So yesterday I played for the first time Academy and I played 8 games. Here are my conclusions:

- IT IS AMAZING! It gives the feeling of Arena when everyone are in the same zone for the final confrontation and it is all about managing guards and attacks and denying your opponent the opportunity to do what they really want to do. I am loving it.

- Tarraki is "overpowered". Currently there is only 2 source of unavoidable attacks. Tarraki and Arcane Missiles. Once Tarraki is fully buffed (only require 3 cards), it has 8 hp, 1 armor, infinite defense of 5+ (only 33% chance to hit him), regenerate 1 and 4 dice attack. Also he is elusive, so basically, he hit whatever he want to hit. You can also have a Giant Size on him to prevent any sudden death and add extra damage. Since he is Legendary, you can't get out a Tarraki to kill it and Arcane Missiles won't kill it either with only 2 dice. And if you try to waste normal attack against him, the opponent will win.
TL;DR: Spells similar to Arcane Corruption to deal with alot of buff on a single creature need to make their appearance in Academy ASAP.

- I have no doubt in Priestess vs Warlock will bring ways to remove condition, but this need to be added to Academy ASAP too. When everything get weakened or staggered, games start to get very slow because everything roll only 1 attack dice.

I can't wait for more cards to be added to get more customization to spellbooks, but even with the limited card pool right now I think I prefer Academy to Arena.

orion87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: So I played my first 8 Academy games
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:57:29 PM »
Would you not just exile Tarraki?

gulden

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: So I played my first 8 Academy games
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »
I have a similar experience. I really relly enjoy this game, but this dodge mechanic, where cards have a 33% chance to get hit is quit annoying. It's also for each attack and not only the first attack each round. Though I think in the next realease there will be good cards to deal with it, for examle the just recently spoiled card Curse of Decay! :)