May 05, 2024, 08:29:45 PM

Author Topic: More Fathergeek spoilers  (Read 4492 times)

ManofMagic

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "You Shall Not Pass!!" - Gandalf the Grey
    • View Profile
More Fathergeek spoilers
« on: March 14, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »
Two more new spoilers near the bottom, Academy is going to add so many new block spells. http://fathergeek.com/mage-wars-academy-expansion-sneak-peek/
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: More Fathergeek spoilers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
Two more new spoilers near the bottom, Academy is going to add so many new block spells. http://fathergeek.com/mage-wars-academy-expansion-sneak-peek/

Oh man!  Redirect is so much cheaper than [mwcard=MW1E34]Reverse Attack[/mwcard] for protecting your [mwcard=FWC16]Thoughtspore[/mwcard].  And combustion Demon has a fun "enters the battlefield" effect that helps other demons under the Adramelech Warlock's control (via Fireweaving and Demonic Reward).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:40:23 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 12:51:02 AM »
I'm excited about this meditating monk!  Mixed with some zone enchantments from academy set and core set this little guy could kick some butt.  Especially when they need to jump into battle or defend a some, or channel some important mana.  And they are level one so 4-6 of these guys could provide huge mana surges.  I'm pumped for this set.  Also, last thing by being in mind school it could see some play in force master books.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:37:06 AM »
I'm excited about this meditating monk!  Mixed with some zone enchantments from academy set and core set this little guy could kick some butt.  Especially when they need to jump into battle or defend a some, or channel some important mana.  And they are level one so 4-6 of these guys could provide huge mana surges.  I'm pumped for this set.  Also, last thing by being in mind school it could see some play in force master books.

Remember that his "unique" trait means that only one of them can be on the field at a time per player.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 09:03:05 AM »

Remember that his "unique" trait means that only one of them can be on the field at a time per player.

We played Domination yesterday and a Bitterwood Fox spent the match sitting in the zone with the altar that lets you sacrifice creatures for a V'tar and some mana.  This would be a perfect job for the Meditating Monk, as he could act like a Mana Flower that also controls this board position.  Of course, he might meet a Fireball at some point... but the Bitterwood Fox was left alive for the entire match (and pulled out the win), so... you never know!

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »
Thanks for the correction Puddinhead.  My excitement for this guy has dampened.  I should of read the bold print 😆.

Maybe the set will be include more creatures with the monk trait with similar abilities. I just like the idea of these monks being all passive and then a switch is turned and they start to Kungfu some creatures or an opponent's Mage for a bit.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 08:35:02 PM »
Redirect seems very good for protecting a thoughtspore. And it fits perfect to it. Targets a minor living creatures while being a mind school 1 spell. Still it only avoids 1 attack and 2 direct damage ist not that much. On the other hand it is secure damage. For high armor or incorporeal attackers quite helpfll.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:02 AM »
Redirect seems very good for protecting a thoughtspore. And it fits perfect to it. Targets a minor living creatures while being a mind school 1 spell. Still it only avoids 1 attack and 2 direct damage ist not that much. On the other hand it is secure damage. For high armor or incorporeal attackers quite helpfll.

You could always have both Redirect and Brace Yourself ready. The former must be revealed on the first attack (which might be Unavoidable, causing it to fizzle) but the Brace Yourself only gets revealed when you want/need it.

For further comparison to Reverse Attack, I've had issues when attacked by a Flame Immune demon with Flame attack - which turns Reverse Attack into s very expensive Block. Redirect doesn't have that drawback.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 08:37:58 AM »
One trick that is definitely a little sinister is to bank some defensive enchantments on yourself or a second spore and then use Enchantment Transfusion to shift the one you need onto your "defenseless" spore when it gets attacked.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
I should play a lot more enchantment transfusion trickery...

Iudicium86

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 04:28:04 AM »
I'm surprised that the Combustion Demon doesn't have a Flame Immunity or at least Flame -X
And Redirect is going to be so fun as a defense option for any very weak creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock