May 13, 2024, 01:51:45 PM

Author Topic: The problem with minor buddies, and trouble coming up with good spellbook ideas  (Read 12380 times)

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
And I think that it worked brilliantly.  When I was telling people about it at GenCon, the $30 price point caused a few raised eyebrows and people perked up at the value of the product.  There were mini-expansions to games at the fair that cost $30.  Academy, in my opinion, was by far the best value I ran into.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

riastradh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Also, for those who've played a full game of Academy (not just the demo), how does the gameplay compare with Apprentice mode?

I have never felt like I am playing a truncated version of a wizard in Academy. The game rhythm is different, but scaled down spell book points, health, and channeling are the right size to hit the intended mark. I always feel like I want four or five more points to include a couple extra spells to bulk up a book.

For what it's worth, I think minor buddies are viable. I won a game just last week with an enchanted Wytchwood Hound (notably Panther Stealth) doing the bulk of the wizard damage.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Still waiting for the release  :(

Also, for those who've played a full game of Academy (not just the demo), how does the gameplay compare with Apprentice mode?
I always feel like I want four or five more points to include a couple extra spells to bulk up a book.

That's a good thing. This means that it's balanced. If you would feel you needed an extra 30 points it would be bad. If you feel you have enough... What's the challenge?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Rather reprint.
You're from Netherlands, right? If You have group of MW players then get to your local store and ask them to use German distributor to get Academy next time. You could also get whole Dutch MW community to ask a single online store and do the same. Somehow Polish online stores got Academy even though Polish distributor doesn't offer it yet.
There are still copies of Academy at amazon.de, if You're okay with getting the game from Germany.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
We wanted a lower cost of entry into the game, and wanted to provide the best value possible.

Except that much of it has no value to me ... I'll probably never buy it, even to get cards for Arena that are not available any other way. (I am actually somewhat offended that I would have to buy extra content for another version of the game that I don't want to get them.)
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

rant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • p00pstar on Octgn
    • View Profile
We wanted a lower cost of entry into the game, and wanted to provide the best value possible.

Except that much of it has no value to me ... I'll probably never buy it, even to get cards for Arena that are not available any other way. (I am actually somewhat offended that I would have to buy extra content for another version of the game that I don't want to get them.)

I look at like I'm getting an arena expansion that also has a very awesome mini game in it.   ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

riastradh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
That's a good thing. This means that it's balanced. If you would feel you needed an extra 30 points it would be bad. If you feel you have enough... What's the challenge?

Agreed.

ajbloomie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
I absolutely cannot win with minor buddies. My Wizard friend has 2 mana worms out after setup, and combined with minor essence drain, supression cloak, and exiling my fairie (the only way to combat my mana disadvantage), I'm behind in 4 turns. I can sometimes get a creature or two attacking in before I completely get screwed by mana disadvantage that snowballs. I can't beat this. I'm usually running wolves, occasionally get a hog out, and am basically loaded on equipment. Joktari has been no help. Maybe I shouldn't invest in armour or the staff at all? Halp!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:10:06 AM by ajbloomie »

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Rather reprint.
You're from Netherlands, right? If You have group of MW players then get to your local store and ask them to use German distributor to get Academy next time. You could also get whole Dutch MW community to ask a single online store and do the same. Somehow Polish online stores got Academy even though Polish distributor doesn't offer it yet.
There are still copies of Academy at amazon.de, if You're okay with getting the game from Germany.

Belgium. I'm pretty sure it didnt arrive here yet. I prefer buying it in a local store if I have the option. There is a store here were a dencent amount of people pre orderd it.
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile

I don't want to derail this conversation too much.

That said, all of the cards work in Arena. If you don't want to pick it up that's fine, but this isn't like Domination where the cards are only part of the product, and there is a lot to pick up there. In this product it's all cards. Now, as I said, if they're not cards you want that's cool, then it's just like any other expansion. Pick up the ones you need.

Now, all of this to say, we tried to give the most product (value) for the price, and I think we did. But, I respect your opinion DaveW, and I'm sorry you were offended.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Sorry... I probably was thinking about the other one... Domination. Someone mentioned dials which sounded like they were something I would never need, so I thought it had a lot of things like that.

Anyway, switch products in my rant, and know that I might get this one... if for no other reason than to get familiar with all of the spells for when I have to face them.

• Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess