May 12, 2024, 03:13:34 PM

Author Topic: The Bait...  (Read 14241 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: The Bait...
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
Hmm. A lot of these discussion seem to boil down to who is dictating the play. If you are dictating the play, the opponent is responding to you. If the opponent is responding to you, then that means less time and mana for them to do what they actually want to do. A mage on the defensive isn't guaranteed to lose, but if that mage can't dictate play eventually they will lose. A part of dictating play is forcing the opponent to deal with your threats. Dealing with threats takes time and mana, which means, for the opponent, less time to set up a winning strategy and less mana to cast powerful spells. The power in this bait strategy is that it is in the opponent's best interest to deal with the bait and this is exactly what you want them to do. It almost reminds of how in chess your opponent will make the smartest move possible in their position.... but it is the move you wanted and expected them to make the whole time!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:34:00 PM by MrSaucy »
"See you space cowboy..."

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 08:25:57 PM »
Have you read the Go: A tandem study thread? A lot of what I put into this, and a lot of what you just discussed is in there. You should check it out!
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »
Have you read the Go: A tandem study thread? A lot of what I put into this, and a lot of what you just discussed is in there. You should check it out!

Will it make sense if I don't know what"Go" is? I have heard of it but I don't know how it works.
"See you space cowboy..."

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 09:01:50 PM »
Completely, the concepts I explain are general, and easily explained out of game context!

On the other hand: LEARN GO!!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Aschab

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 12:19:35 AM »
I hate to revive a post. But I'm really interested on this subject. I just know this game for a week, and i've been playing and reading all I can.

A well played bait, in any game, gives you a substantial advantage, but also a bad played bait set you back.

I play mostly a beastmaster with a spellbook with enough tools to play a swarm or a fewbigs. I play with local friends who met the game for a few weeks too, so we're basically newbies, and the way I've been dealing with the popular gorgon so far is just walling. As she is slow I just need to deny her LoS while i focus heavily on the opposite mage, and it amazes me that nobody mention way to deal with her.

So my questionsare: Is there any reason why casting walls to force the gorgon to move (or be moved) is a weak move? If the dude, or anyone who shares his bait point of view could also tell me: If I'm playing a Gorgon and I got a wall in front of her, how should I deal with it? If I'm being forced to attack the wall in order to let the Gorgon get her attack wouldnt I lose tempo?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »
Cast Eagle Wings on Gorgonne. Problem solved.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
The Bait...
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »
You can teleport a creature past a wall if you have LoS to both the creature and the zone you want to send it to.

Also, tempo isn't everything. Sometimes it's worth losing some tempo for another resource. Like if you had a powerful creature behind a wall, you could convert tempo to your attack action to damage on the wall to your creature's new position to your creature's attack to more damage on the enemy mage.

I recommend reading the article on resources next:

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=13197

And wildhorn is right about eagle wings. That would be much simpler than destroying the wall in this case.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:55:34 AM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 09:05:18 AM »
Most people who play the Gorgon and the other Arcane related Slow trait creatures load up on Force Push (+Wand) and/or Teleport (+ Wand). Typically when using a Wall to separate a Gorgon from her mage means that your are in Range of the Gorgon. If you use a Wall to separate you from the Gorgon you have also typically separated yourself from the opposing mage also.

Many times, if you take the option to block LoS between you and the Gorgon, the opposing mage will also cast walls to separate himself from the Gorgon in a Maze / Alley pattern that channels you to the Gorgon and you have to deal with her any how.

The best way to deal with the Gorgon is to pit kill her via teleport, which is why she is the bait.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Dr.Cornelius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 01:52:59 AM »
Anyone try using Teleport Trap in the Gorgon's square? 

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 07:45:22 PM »

You can not cast Teleport Trap in a zone where there already are opponent's creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 08:15:53 PM »

You can not cast Teleport Trap in a zone where there already are opponent's creatures.
But you can cast it into a zone next to her (that has no "friendly" to her creatures in it) and then Force Push her into that zone....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest