Mage Wars > Mages

Thoughts about the Priestess

(1/3) > >>

Obsidian Soul:
So, I was wondering what people thought about the Priestess now that we are in the sixth year of Mage Wars.  One of the base mages, she is the premier healer mage, though she does have competition from the Paladin and Priest.  She is also my favorite mage.

In my mind, the Priestess has two strengths: healing and protection.  With her special abilities, she can easily achieve 40 life in a game.  With her healing, she can easily survive taking 60 points of damage in a game.  With cards like Circle of Protection, Consecrated Ground, Eye for an Eye, and the Pillar, she does not terribly care or worry about being swarmed, as she can usually recover from the damage within a turn or two while her enemies cannot.

In addition, her creatures are generally powerful and, if expensive, tend to punch above their weight limit and have surprising synergy, which anyone who has gone up against two Knights of Westlock backed up by two Guardian Angels can agree with.  While a number of her legendary creatures tend to be too expensive, such as the majority of the named angels, her non-legendary creatures tend to be solid.  I think that she is still a competitive mage, but what do you think?

silverclawgrizzly:
So I don't think there's any doubt the Priestess remains competitive. The biggest challenge I see new players have with the mage is the balance between defense and offense. It's too easy to fall into a trap of just wanting to hide in a hole hoping your enemy is nice enough to kill themself. Especially as of late you need offense tactics like Crusade Griffins, Temple of Light, etc.

wtcannonjr:

--- Quote from: silverclawgrizzly on May 23, 2018, 10:10:46 AM ---So I don't think there's any doubt the Priestess remains competitive. The biggest challenge I see new players have with the mage is the balance between defense and offense. It's too easy to fall into a trap of just wanting to hide in a hole hoping your enemy is nice enough to kill themself. Especially as of late you need offense tactics like Crusade Griffins, Temple of Light, etc.

--- End quote ---
Agreed. This is a common issue with new players until they understand the risks better and how to manage them using aggressive play. The Priestess is most effective when modeled after a Wonder Woman styled character who can heal and restore her creatures in the midst of battle.

silverclawgrizzly:
I think that's the best way I've ever heard that put actually wtcannonjr. A strong warrior who can provide the best support in the game. Well said.

I'll note it's not just the Priestess new players hesitate with but her strong defense capabilities almost invite it.

Reddicediaries:
I tend to find many people overate the priestess over the other two holy mages.

Training wise the paladin is better, that's just a fact (as of now). And to be honest, I don't think Divine Reward and Restore plus the 10 channeling is as good as level two war training, Divine Challenge, and Auras.

Whenever I see people play the priest like the priestess (no cheap Holy Avenger, meditation amulet with Temple of Asyra) I cry because if you are not making use out of a mages abilities/training, why are you playing that mage?

That being said, she is very strong, even if I rarely lose to her with paladin. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version