May 17, 2024, 08:52:20 PM

Author Topic: Finally! Victory is mine!  (Read 6507 times)

RARodger

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Finally! Victory is mine!
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »
After maybe a dozen plays with a few different mages I won my first game of Mage Wars last night. Most games played out roughly the same for me, I come out strong, pressure my opponent and then fail to seal the deal at a critical moment allowing him to get his strategy coming and defeat me in the end. This happened regardless of which mage I was using, whether it was a deck of my own design or one of the spell books, whether it was someone who played before or was their first time. I was getting convinced it wasn't him, but me.

Maybe I'm just not good at this game.

The last number of plays I've been tweaking a Warlord build. I'm not that into creatures and like the idea of suiting up and burning my opponent to the ground. But still, I never quite got it to work. A few times I knew what I did wrong. I changed my plan at the last minute. Things like, "Hmm, instead of suiting up and charging why don't I spent two turns getting out whassname, the 24 point demon to put on some pressure while I get all my armor and buffs on?" Not a horrible plan, but not one the book was put together around.

But last night... it worked. It was honed.Curses, a Battle Forge, and a supply of utility spells including my much beloved Teleport.

First turn I pop out the Battle Forge, drop a Harmonize on it and advance. With the extra action and mana boost I soon had my Lash and armor on. Instead of dicking around or getting distracted by what the Warlord was up to I brought out Bear Strength and Vampirism. My opponent helped me out by camping out in his corner with a line of Spear Walls to defend himself. His Iron Golem came out and that gave me a moment's pause. A huge, burnproof, poison proof, nonliving collosus should give any fire mage a bit of a pause. But the golem is slow, and I had two copies of teleport... and two mage wands.

I beat up a couple of his goblins while letting the golem cross the spear walls and get to me. Then out comes the mage wand, a teleport into the Warlord's corner and started beating the hell out of him. No pun intended.

I was further helped by a number of bad rolls on his part. His hurled boulder which should have given me some real grief turned up blank. Litterally blank. No armor needed, but I was slammed which slowed me down a little. Not enough, but a little. The Helm of Fear kept some of his goblins from harrassing me, but even when I got hit, being able to vampirise 9 dice of attack took most of the sting off.

When we first started playing this game, the guy I was playing last night expressed disbelief that you could finish a game in under three hours. Well, an hour and a half in last night I put an end to that as I drained the last of his life, and won my first freaking game of Mage Wars.

I have to play a couple more times with a couple other guys to prove to myself that it wasn't just the bad die rolls that got me this game, but... I did it. I finally did it.

Maybe I should stop playing now.

Nah...

I love this game.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Finally! Victory is mine!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 12:25:46 PM »
Congratulations! I played a game on Wednesday, I was suited up to Fight a Warlock,  and setup an 8 dice roll attack with Staff of Assyria, Bim-shalla, and a Dawnbreaker Ring. Yes the Priestess can hit hard. However a reverse attack and a good roll took me for 9 points of damage. He then hit me with his LOH for a 7 dice attack and hit me for another 8 points of damage. Not that that was the game but I was never able to recover and lost the game three rounds later. I love the game and that the only thing that is random is the dice. You can plan out the best Spell book ever and still the dice can be against you.

Good luck on your next game!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »
Congrats on the win!

I would be hesitant to post my win:loss ratio here :-)
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »
Congrats on the win.

I actually have the opposite problem, which I attribute to putting ~10 times more thought into the game so far than the other local players, but hopefully things will even out a bit over time.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 08:31:32 PM »
Yeah....I lost my first eight games in a row.(To the solo buff warlock! I hate him so.) Now every week for 12 hours we get about four games in, and I come out 2-2. The forcemaster is the deck I always win with....
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=10594
Yeah....I lost my first eight games in a row.(To the solo buff warlock! I hate him so.) Now every week for 12 hours we get about four games in, and I come out 2-2. The forcemaster is the deck I always win with....

Oh sure, use the Forcemaster, you know she's invincible.  If you really wanted a challenge you would use the creatureless fire Beastmaster build or the arcane only Warlord.  :evil:

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:55:24 PM »
lol.  congrats on the win!  and ya know i love this game.  even though im a playtester i actually dont win all that often.  probibly because the person i playtest with is some kind of card game god that never loses.  it doesnt matter what game if it has cards his win ratio is through the roof, even war machine.  problem is whenever he tries to explain his thought process on his decisions they dont make any sence at all.  but it works for him
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 04:23:38 AM »
Congratz on your first win :D ! it was fun reading your game .

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 08:57:05 AM »
2 days and 25 hours of mage wars:

four large pizzas-$48

Amount of energy drinks to kill two large horses-$36

Bottle of Tums-$4

Amount of Boston Lager to kill three large horses-$43

Wining 16 games in a row with the Forcemaster- Priceless.
Within Shad0w.

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:52:15 AM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=10925
2 days and 25 hours of mage wars:

four large pizzas-$48

Amount of energy drinks to kill two large horses-$36

Bottle of Tums-$4

Amount of Boston Lager to kill three large horses-$43

Wining 16 games in a row with the Forcemaster- Priceless.

Jesus Darth, i wish i could play a game vs you :D but i would probably lose.
I am a noob at this game as i can't find anyone to play with in my area lol.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 03:00:00 AM »
Around Nebraska by any chance? You would be more then welcome to join us! Hopefully we get some more OP in every state...and some National tournaments to look foreword to!
Within Shad0w.

CaptainGeek

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »
Grats, RARodger!  I am so excited about this game that I want to play it even if I lose the first 20 games in a row.  I live in, like, Nowheresville, and my nearest retailer, in dinky London KY, sold out of Mage Wars.  I hope they get more soon so I can enter the arena too!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
Good to hear and remember we are here to help. If you have a question please ask.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »
Yo darth what's your FM list?  Mind sharing?
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Within Shad0w.