May 11, 2024, 09:14:41 AM

Author Topic: The Johktari RUSHmaster  (Read 29872 times)

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Johktari RUSHmaster
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2015, 08:52:51 PM »
I have never played the Johktari Rushmaster, but I play against a lot of Wizard rush decks, so I know what to expect.  My primary mage is the Priestess and my first turn tends to be Mana Crystal and Guardian Angel, my second turn tends to be Brace Yourself and Guardian Angel and my third turn tends to be Mana Crystal and Moonglow Amulet.  After that, I tend to pop out a Knight of Westlock or Royal Archer each turn after that.  If I need to, I will spend a turn armoring up or healing up.  That being said, a lot of people enjoy rush decks and they do hurt a lot.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
I have never played the Johktari Rushmaster, but I play against a lot of Wizard rush decks, so I know what to expect.  My primary mage is the Priestess and my first turn tends to be Mana Crystal and Guardian Angel, my second turn tends to be Brace Yourself and Guardian Angel and my third turn tends to be Mana Crystal and Moonglow Amulet.  After that, I tend to pop out a Knight of Westlock or Royal Archer each turn after that.  If I need to, I will spend a turn armoring up or healing up.  That being said, a lot of people enjoy rush decks and they do hurt a lot.

Fighting against Rush Wizards is wonderful practice. Does this opening work for you most of the time? I mean with your turn 3 being about more economy? Does the game last long enough to make it worth those cards that late?
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 11:30:09 AM »
It does tend to work due to the fact that the Guardian Angel can take a lot of damage before she goes down.  While there are ways to get around her intercept (Tanglevines and Quicksands), you tend to have time to get her our of trouble.  If not, you can summon more protectors and form a rolling defensive wedge, you just have to be flexible with your tactics. 

gerni

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2015, 12:33:39 PM »
I also thought about playing a 'delayed economy' style. All these discussions about 'does it pay off?' (see Mana crystal efficiency thread) suggest playing economy as early as possible, since there is the biggest possible distance between the mages (little threat). I wonder if early aggression or early defensive plays with backup economy can be stronger in some cases. Have to try it, I guess.

My primary mage is the Priestess and my first turn tends to be Mana Crystal and Guardian Angel, my second turn tends to be Brace Yourself and Guardian Angel and my third turn tends to be Mana Crystal and Moonglow Amulet.  After that, I tend to pop out a Knight of Westlock or Royal Archer each turn after that.

That's interesting. I've never built a book around the mage casting creatures (unless it is only 2-3), I always have the feeling of being super behind in actions versus spawnpoints. No time for equipment, dispels, enchants etc, but versus the Rushmaster i think it is a strong opening.

I tend to use a GA in almost every book (i think it is op) to force actions/mana to get rid of her intercept, while i focus on dispel/dissolve to then finish the game within 2-3 rounds, when the enemy runs out of defensive spells. These kind of books are built to have always more armor (and vets belt or defense) than the enemy (forge or druid). I found that it is very hard to do serious damage to these kind of builds with creatures, since there are so little with piercing. Plus they are decent against aggro builds like the Rushmaster.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:36:03 PM by gerni »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2015, 07:13:21 PM »
Druids can be quite phenomenal builds, they have a lot of armor potential and a lot of regeneration, though there are always ways around a defense.  I have two Veteran's Belts in my Druid deck because the first one will always be dispelled.  I have found that the way that I play Priestess is capable of recovering thirty damage in around 2-3 turns, so she is very difficult to kill off before her creatures overwhelm someone.  A Druid with Cervere and two Steelclaw Grizzly's, however, is quite able to dish out some damage.