May 06, 2024, 11:05:22 AM

Author Topic: My first Spellbook. Beastmaster. Comments appreciated  (Read 3855 times)

Cancuino

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
My first Spellbook. Beastmaster. Comments appreciated
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:46:51 AM »
Hi all, I've just made my first spell book, I hope you can help me improve it.

Thank you all.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Beasmaster Redclaw[/spellbookname]
[mage]Beastmaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j13]2 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j15]1 x  Mohktari, Great Tree of Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J01]1 x  Rajan's Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ08]1 x  Renewing Spring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j03]1 x  Tooth & Nail[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c29]1 x  Redclaw, Alpha Male[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c04]4 x  Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC02]1 x  Dire Wolf[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c38]3 x  Timber Wolf[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e01]3 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]1 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e07]1 x  Cobra Reflexes[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]2 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]2 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]3 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e02]3 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]1 x  Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]1 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e23]1 x  Jinx[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]1 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]1 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q22]1 x  Moonglow Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ02]1 x  Hunting Bow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q25]1 x  Ring of Beasts[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q30]1 x  Staff of Beasts[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]2 x  Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i03]3 x  Call of the Wild[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i23]2 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]4 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]3 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i13]1 x  Group Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]2 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]3 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: My first Spellbook. Beastmaster. Comments appreciated
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:20:50 AM »
How do you setup for the kill shot turn. I see no FP or tele
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Cancuino

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:53 AM »
I thought that the beasts could do the job, the BM with the bow attacks too.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »
What you might want to consider is a few Tangle Vines to lock an opponent down or force them to use their Teleports. Creatures can be avoided for a while. Also a Lair will help you if you end up playing a longer game.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »
Welcome to Mage Wars!  Interesting build.  Clearly going for a wolf theme, and I don't see any DvN cards listed.  So, keeping that in mind:

1) Rajan's Fury and no Force Pushes or Teleports means your beasts are chasing your targets over the battlefield.  This is workable, although I find that I usually need at least two of each to help deal with my opponent's attempts to interefere with my plans.  Regardless though, that strategy does not mix well with Mohktari; you should drop that card.

2) Assuming you're using a Straywood Beastmaster with this, I would recommend dropping the bow and going melee with him instead to take advantage of his innate +1 Melee.  Staff of Beasts is actually a rather bad piece of equipment, particularly with all the permanent enchantments you're going to want to cast and all the healing alternatives you've included; I would recommend a Mage Staff or two Instead.  Which means you'll be using Bear Strength on him too, and can drop Hawkeye.

3) Two Sunfire Amulets and a Moonglow is far too much.  You already have two Mana Flowers and the Battleforge; I would drop the Moonglow and one Sunfire.  If the remaining Sunfire is Dissolved, consider it a win; there are *much* better Dissolve targets in this book!

4) With a Battleforge, you probably want more equipment.  Options to consider: Leather Gloves and Boots for cheap armour needed quickly; Gauntlets of Strength if you switch to Mage Staff; Eagleclaw Boots to help keep your mage from being Pushed around; a second suit of armor for if the first one gets Dissolved; and/or an Elemental Cloak in case you need it.  (Note that you should only include one Gloves or Boots in your book, regardless of what you choose.)

5) My own preferences are that you have too many Dispels and Seeking Dispels--but that may be an evolution of your local meta.  My advice here is to think about your games and ask yourself: have there been games where you've used up all of either of those, and where casting the (Seeking) Dispel was the best choice each time?  If yes to both, then go for it!

6) Some other cards to consider including as well: some of the Beastmaster's other great creatures that are not wolves (Thunderift Falcon, Steelclaw Grizzly, Galador); some Tanglevines to deal with guards and runners; an Eagle Wings or two to provide (and help deal with enemy) flyers; and a Retaliate or two for a 'free' Counterstrike (that you also can choose when to reveal).

Overall, looks like a good build.  Have fun with it! : )

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
Agreed that melee might beat ranged and that some sort of force push etc. could be good too!

You're obviously going for the canine-led swarm, but I'd be tempted by a few non-dogs, particularly at lower levels. Cats and falcons can be very irritating for the opponent in some situations and the first couple of small creatures are usually taken down by the time the Alpha Wolf comes out too.

Cancuino

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »
Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate them.
I'll make a new version of this spell book with these pieces of advise.
Best regards.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:32:47 PM »
Your distribution of equipment is poor. Sunfire Amulet and Moonglow Amulet are expensive, and I would only include 1 necklace. You don't have enough armor. Dragonscale Hauberk and Stormdrake Hide are better than Bearskin at the moment. You don't have anything for your hand or foot slot. I'm not a fan of Hunter's Bow, but you can use it if you want to stand back and shoot, but I'd rather do that in a Lair based build than a Battleforge based build. Staff of Beasts isn't as good as Mage Staff. At least Mage Staff gives you an answer to Flying and Incorporeal. Wand of Healing is a nice solution to conditions if you have Druid vs Necromancer.

I prefer Lair over Battleforge for wolf pack. It allows me to efficiently spam Timber Wolves and Bitterwood Foxes. I tend to use Battleforge with Steelclaws and Lair with wolves.

Add Marked for Death. It's generally better than Call of the Wild.

You need Teleport and/or Force Push.

Add a minimum of 3 Tanglevines. They let you keep away from an aggressive opponent, but they also allow you to waste a guard's action.

Galador is a nice solution to Incorporeal and flying (except Valshalla), and helps against Iron Golems.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster