May 04, 2024, 03:58:25 PM

Author Topic: Tournament Report: Spandex City Comics & Games Charlotte NC  (Read 3273 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Hi folks I'm back with another tournament event that took place here in Charlotte NC. We got word of this event rather last minute as it was originally scheduled for the 30th but was changed due to a scheduling conflict. My normal judge, JasonBourne Zombie couldn't make it so I handled this one. As a note matches go for 60 minutes at this venue.

Mage Warriors in attendance:

Sarah: Though primarily a Force Master this night Sarah decided to try a secondary book: Druid.
Jimillia: The Necromancer returned with it's skeletons in tow.
Jon the Earth Wizard: Jon returned with his super hard hitting Wizard.
DevilsVendetta: Despite his infernal name the devil actually primaries as a Priestess and used her tonight.

ROUND 1:

Jon VS Sarah
Jimillia VS Devilsvendetta

Sarah managed to take out Jon with his primary mage! In what can only be seen as an upset the Druid got it's first win. Jon played Deathlock early on and that was NOT his friend against a Bleed happy Druid.

Jimillia beat Devilsvendetta. The dark side slide a victory by due to a timing error on Devils part. It looked fairly close for a while but Jimillia don't often lose with the dark one.

ROUND 2:

Jimillia VS Sarah

Jon VS Devilsvendetta

Sarah defeats Jimillia. I'll admit I didn't expect the Druid to beat the Wizard in Round 1, and I REALLY didn't see this one coming. Again Deathlock turned out to be the opposing mages downfall. Sarah seems to be perfectly fine letting her tree take her damage for her even if it can't heal.

Jon defeats Devilsvendetta. Heavy offense at the start and the effective use of a Wizards Tower spelled the end for the Priestess. Corrode does make for shorter life spans and it became too many issues to deal with all at once.

ROUND 3:

Sarah VS Devilsvendetta

Jon VS Jimillia

Sarah defeats Devilsvendetta and goes 3-0 securing the tournament win. This match actually went a little over due to our policy of "equal number of turns with Initiative" and the Devils life just finally gave out. Sarah went in doubting  herself strongly but ended up with store credit as the victor.

Jimillia defeated Jon. Oh the bitter irony of your own wall dooming you. We've all been there, you cast it to give yourself a respite and it blocks your ability to destroy the enemy for turns to come. An early lead was whittled away as Jon was looking to slow Jimillia down. Sadly for him she spent the breather summoning up enough hated creatures to turn Jons poor Wizard inside out.

Prize for this event is store credit. Sarah spent some of it on a milk shake. Her new philosophy is "Oh we get store credit? Then I'm just going to keep winning and getting more milk shakes." It's awesome seeing a Mage Warrior with their priorities right. As a note we were short this week as one of our regulars had family obligations.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Report: Spandex City Comics & Games Charlotte NC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 09:55:40 PM »
Go Sarah!  Although no Forcemaster and an 0-3 Priestess makes me a sad panda.

Thanks for the report, Grizz!  Keep them coming!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »
Spandex City is a pretty casual little venue that's been running Mage Wars tournaments for us since the beginning really. The owners a great guy and we even held a Wounded Warrior tournament there once. Plus there's an ice cream bar inside the shop, I mean you can't beat that.

Sarah, like many of us, is preparing for Gen Con.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:46:15 PM »
A small event tonight at Spandex City. Most of Charlottes Mage Warriors are resting up and preparing for HoshiCon this weekend and out charity tournament to benefit Time Out Youth. Still a fun event. Mages in attendance:

DevilsVendetta: Awesome Charlotte resident Holy mage got like 6 copies of Academy and learned got sick with them. Priestess got nasty.

Jimillia: Deciding to prove Wizards don't need fancy towers or training in anything but Arcane and Air my roommate Millie brought hers to the fight.

Silverclawgrizzly: I brought my Straywood Beast Master and while I intended this to be practice for the big event Saturday a large stack of Dragonscale Wolverines came in today and I altered my book to not be big event legal and put one in.

ROUND 1:

Jimillia VS Silverclawgrizzly: I hate mana denial, especially as I've limited ways to deal with it. Millie built this book two days ago and refined it today. I've lost an Emerald Tegu to Essence Drain twice in as many days. Mana Siphon, Suppression Cloak, Enchanters Wardstone, and some curses made my life a living nightmare. She lacked on creatures after I took out her gate and had she summoned more I would have been dead but I was able to barely eek out a win and take the mana denial apart slowly. Still I won solely cause my pet Dragonscale Wolverine(whom I named Darthgokuverine) so it's a somewhat tainted win as I won via promo. She'll continue working on it I'm sure and I doubt the Rage machine will save me.

Round 2: DevilsVendetta VS Silverclawgrizzly: Holy crap is Academy Priestess nice! Yeah yeah looking at cards online are cool but you don't realize the true reality until lazer clerics are zapping every time your opponent heals. I failed miserably to kill the Eliran even though I did manage to bring down Brogan and Aurora as well as a White Cloak Knight and enough Level 1 scrubs to make a Beast Master jealous. This wasn't so much a match as it was a beat down alley fight. Cervere and Slovarg both got themselves nicely butchered not to mention my two falcons that were one shot killed by a Temple Sharpshooter. I destroyed his temple early but it didn't matter. Alter of the Iron Guard just meant he summoned super guards like the Temple High Guard to fight me and I do NOT like messing with those guys at all. I got the win in the end but based on life and some VERY judicious use of Tanglevines to keep his heavy hitters from beating the crap out of me.

Round 3: Jimillia VS DevilsVendetta: I had the buy round for this so I went to go read my comics. I looked in on the match at times and it looked like a horrible slug fest with Hydras, Brogan, and all sorts of carnage. I saw two archers from different schools go at it and in the end Jimillia squeeked out a win from what I understand.

I took the win and used the store credit I won to get a copy of Academy Priestess for our charity tournament Saturday.