May 17, 2024, 09:18:55 PM

Author Topic: Grappler Attacks on non-Prey  (Read 2966 times)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Grappler Attacks on non-Prey
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:35:52 AM »
Am I correct in the following:

• Whilst Grappling a Prey, the Grappler is not required to attack it's Prey with a melee attack, but can attack anything in the Zone, whilst the Prey is constrained to only attack the Grappler?
  • Attacking a non-Prey Target in this way, in no way breaks the Grapple.
  • Similarly, Grappler is not constrained from making a Ranged Attack, that doesn't use the Grappling attack attached to the Prey (theoretical, no current application)
  • In light of #1, if the Grappler is Taunted (say by Sosruko) then it must attempt to fulfill the Taunt on it's action, since the Grapple doesn't prevent it from doing so
  • On the other hand it could ignore a Taunt from Thorg in the next Zone, because it's Restrained

All seem a little strange, but correct - I can't find anything in the Grapple entry to contradict these, and nothing in the FAQ.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Grappler Attacks on non-Prey
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
Let me check the rulebook... oh wait its not published here 6 months since release....

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
Let me check the rulebook... oh wait its not published here 6 months since release....

There's a very lengthy set of rules for Grapple in the Codex, v. 3.1, which is online.

1. Whilst Grappling a Prey, the Grappler is not required to attack it's Prey with a melee attack, but can attack anything in the Zone, whilst the Prey is constrained to only attack the Grappler?

That's correct. But it cannot use the attack that caused the Grapple against any target (including the Prey), and some creatures that Grapple (like the Crocodile) can't use their non-Grapple attack against a creature that isn't Grapple'd, so... sometimes there is no choice. But the Kraken could use the Beak attack against a non-Prey target even when it has a Prey attached.

Also, the prey isn't required to attack the Grappler. For instance, the rules suggest that a Grapple'd Prey Azurean Genie could still spend a Wish token as its action. The restriction is that if a Prey makes a non-spell attack, then the only non-spell attack it may make is a melee attack against the Grappler that rolls -2 dice. Hmm... makes Grappling a creature that only has Ranged attacks really strong (e.g. consider Grappling Artemis)!

2. Attacking a non-Prey Target in this way, in no way breaks the Grapple.

It does not. But you can't use the attack that was used to cause the initial Grapple, as above.

3. Similarly, Grappler is not constrained from making a Ranged Attack, that doesn't use the Grappling attack attached to the Prey (theoretical, no current application)

Yes, as long as that Ranged attack wasn't the attack that caused the initial Grapple (see Kraken).

4. In light of #1, if the Grappler is Taunted (say by Sosruko) then it must attempt to fulfill the Taunt on it's action, since the Grapple doesn't prevent it from doing so

Correct. Attacking its Prey is not a mandatory action.

5. On the other hand it could ignore a Taunt from Thorg in the next Zone, because it's Restrained

Yes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:28:44 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:04:33 AM »
iNano78 has covered everything completely. I have nothing else to add.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »
Yes, this is exactly what I thought - I agree all those caveats and tried to include them (looks like I lost a couple in the edits), but it raises some interesting uses and counters with Grapple.

There's a very lengthy set of rules for Grapple in the Codex, v. 3.1, which is online.

As iNano says, the Codex is your friend, and is very useful. It's what I was referring to in all of this.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:09:08 PM by Kelanen »