May 11, 2024, 09:16:45 PM

Author Topic: Secret passage and siren's call/chant of rage  (Read 2830 times)

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Secret passage and siren's call/chant of rage
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:57:35 PM »
Does a creature which is siren's called or enchanted with chant of rage have to use a secret passage to get closer if the secret passage is the shortest way to the target?

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Secret passage and siren's call/chant of rage
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 01:57:18 AM »
yes

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:23:20 AM »
I would think that you can choose, as long as both routes gets you closer to the Siren than you were before. Sirens call does not state the you must move along the shortest path.

So, in this scenario I would argue the shark has 3 choices. And I think it is worth noting that if the shark moves through the passage to get closer to the Siren, he can use his second action to retreat back through the passage. I think players often forget that you can work around sirens call in this way. It does not work if he moves to a zone with a Sslak, since he would be hindered.

I think I am right, but if not then please correct me.  :D
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 02:30:43 AM »
Uh, I thought Gogolski was talking about the passage attack trait of a wall. So you have to move through a wall and get the attack if that is the shortest way to the hate token.

keejchen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 03:06:25 AM »
Even on chant of rage it does not specify you have to take the shortest path, as long as each individual move takes you closer to the hate marker. So in the example, if the shark had rage and the hate is on Siren, he may choose to move to one of the Sslaks (and stop there because he is hindered), or he can go through the secret passage, after which he would be forced to move closer to the siren again.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 04:49:27 AM »
keejchen is completely right on all counts. Neither Siren's Call nor Chant of Rage forces you to take the shortest route. All they require is that you move closer to the target than your current position.

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:29:00 AM »
Last night a situation nearly came up (but didn't) presenting this choice and it spawned a small conversation and this question in the forums.

Thanks a bunch!