May 07, 2024, 06:50:56 AM

Author Topic: Wizard-Air Walls/Pushing/Gas/Ect  (Read 8739 times)

Eluem

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Wizard-Air Walls/Pushing/Gas/Ect
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »
The deck has multiple ways of functioning. The basic concepts are to deny and disrupt mana generation early while setting up low cost walls and gas clouds. Late game, use the walls and gas clouds to inflict a lots of damage with push/pull combos. If they spend time to remove the walls, use thunderbolt/lightning bolt to deal some decent damage.

Some major issues I've found though, are when I'm dealing with the Forcemaster's crazy shield enchantment.

So.. any suggestions? Do you think this is viable?

Note: I'm very new. (I've only played about 5 games so far...)

Creatures:
1xHuginn,Raven Familiar-Arcane 3
1xWhirling Spirit-Air 4
Total: 7

Conjurations:
1xMordok's Obelisk-Arcane 2 (Epic)
3xMana Crystal-Arcane 1
1xMana Siphon-Arcane 3 (Epic)
3xPoison Gas Cloud-Air 2
2xFog Bank-Air 1
4xWall of Thorns-Nature 1
2xTanglevine-Nature 1
1xBattle Forge-War 1 and Fire 1
Total: 32

Enchantments:
3xNullify-Arcane 1
1xReverse Magic-Arcane 2
3xTeleport Trap-Arcane 1
1xHellfire Trap-Dark 1
2xHarmonize-Arcane 1
3xEssence Drain-Arcane 2
1xCheetah Speed-Nature 1
1xHawkeye-Nature 1
Total: 22

Incantations:
3xTeleport-Arcane 2
1xDrain Power-Arcane 3
3xDispel-Arcane 1
1xSeeking Dispel-Arcane 1
2xDissolve-Water 1
3xForce Push-Mind 1
1xForce Wave-Mind 1
1xKnockdown-Mind 1
Total: 27

Attacks:
3xJet Stream-Air 1
3xArc Lightning-Air 1
1xThunderbolt-Air 3
2xLightning Bolt-Air 2
1xElectrify-Air 2
Total: 15

Equipment:
1xMage Wand-Arcane 2
1xElemental Wand-Air 2 or Earth 2 or Fire 2 or Water 2
1xArcane Ring-Arcane 1
1xLightning Ring-Air 1
1xStaff of the Arcanum-Arcane 2
1xSuppression Cloak-Arcane 2
1xElemental Cloak-Arcane 1
1xWind Wyvern Hide-Air 1
1xMoonglow Amulet-Arcane 1
1xBelt of Regrowth-Nature 1
1xLeather Boots-War 1n
1xLeather Gloves-War 1n
Total: 17

Final Total: 120

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard-Air Walls/Pushing/Gas/Ect
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
I can add this DoT build into my test and see how it preforms
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Eluem

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:20:06 AM »
Awesome, thank you Shad0w.

Also, the reason there's some oddness in the format.. is because this was formatted for a Python script that I made to calculate skill point totals lol... I forgot to remove things like "1n" and what not....

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:34:21 AM »
I am concerned that you don't have enough damaging permanents. That is, you have to pay mana every time you deal damage, whether it is by lightning bolting or pushing through a wall of thorns.

At the very least, pick up a melee Guard like a golem or hydra. You can sit the golem inside the poison cloud, so that instead of taking 2 damage your opponent takes 8 damage for being pushed or teleport trapped into the cloud. When he moves out, cast your wall of thorns and then force push him through, for 2x5 + 6 + 2direct damage.

It is a gimmicky build and can be countered by sufficient # of teleports, or air units. Bird Swarm would be bad vs Mordoks, but a single Lord of Fire or Valshalla/Samandriel would perform well. Make sure to have some kind of preparation for single large air units. I would personally prefer force hold or force crush, as it simultaneously removes flying and keeps them in your poison cloud.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:31:08 AM »
I will agree this is lacking in a few places. Another thing to fit in is build Gravikor ( I know it is a promo but it is with testing).
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Snotwalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
If facing the Forcemaster, you simply don't have enough attacks per turn to break through that forcefield... You'll want to add in some more appropriate creatures to increase the # of attacks you can throw at her each turn.

Also, I find that doing any sort of mana drain on a Forcemster to be a waste of time... The Forcemaster will spend a lot of time hitting you over the head with long, sharp, pointy things, so typically builds up more mana than she can use in a game.

I'd also include more Seeking Dispells and a couple of Reverse Attack enchantments.

And if you're going light on the Creatures, I'd recommend including a Circle of Lightning enchantment to provide a damage barrier with chance of daze/stun built in.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
Just a note vs the forcemaster. I believe pushing her through a wall of thorns is 5 attacks so it removes 3 forcefield tokens and hits for 2 attacks
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »
You really need some more creatures in this build. 

You're running plenty of Teleports and a Cheetah Speed with which to make Hydras perform well.

A couple Gremlins is a good idea too.  They don't particularly roll high, but they have probably the best survivability for a 7 cost creature, and a pair of them works well.

Do you have Conquest of Kumanjaro?  Screeching Harpies and maybe Galador seem like a good call for any Air Wizard.

If you're going for a Damage over Time build, you really need to be playing Ghoul Rot and Magebane.  I could see Malacoda being good here too, since you have ways to counteract the Slow.

A cool interaction is Idol of Pestilence, Whirling Spirits, and Malacoda/Poison Gas Cloud.  The spirits aren't living, so they don't take damage, and you can probably push creatures back into the Gas Cloud or Malacoda.

I think that overall, you may want to focus your build on either DoT or Mana Denial, but perhaps not both.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:53:44 PM by reddawn »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »
Just a note vs the forcemaster. I believe pushing her through a wall of thorns is 5 attacks so it removes 3 forcefield tokens and hits for 2 attacks

Yes, from what I understand. Pushing FM through a Wall of Thorns is an instant forcefield killer.