May 16, 2024, 10:45:24 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Bane  (Read 5721 times)

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Bane
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »
What is the bane of your existence when playing Mage Wars. Mine apparently is resilient but only when I am playing a druid and my opponent is playing a Necromancer. I cannot seem to role critical damage for the life of me when I play a druid. Ever try killing a zombie with 21 life when it is resilient because it had 5 growth markers on it?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: Mage Wars Bane
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
Raptor Vine. No matter what, these things always end up with 1 hp left then they vampirise to almost full. I seem to be unable to kill them at all.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »
I do love my raptor vines but even they were not getting me crits.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:55:07 PM »
Lately anything that I am directly trying to kill that is trying to kill me......Mage v Mage or Creature v Creature
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:12:26 PM »
My bane is the Jed...I mean Force Master. I know the counters you do, I use the counters, and 60% of the time I still end up streaks of bloody meat. There are two guys in my normal gaming group who REALLY know their stuff with that lovely lady. I can sometimes beat her but it's a huge uphill fight for me every time. I've purposely not made one yet just so I can keep her as an "antagonist" mage.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:15 PM »
I hope this doesn't sound arrogant, but I kind of feel my biggest bane in this game is myself, lol. Every time I play I seem to make a big mistake at some point and the rest of the game is trying to minimize the damage I've caused for myself.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:34:17 AM »
I think I've had the most trouble with an opponent's Enchanter's Wardstone.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:44:54 AM »
I hope this doesn't sound arrogant, but I kind of feel my biggest bane in this game is myself, lol. Every time I play I seem to make a big mistake at some point and the rest of the game is trying to minimize the damage I've caused for myself.

Not really arrogant Zuberi. We're all our worse enemies/critics honestly. That's the nature of the beast with gaming in general I believe.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 01:56:16 AM »

I feel like MW is similar to chess in that regard. It isn't so much about making the best movies... it is about limiting your mistakes.
"See you space cowboy..."

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 03:01:15 AM »
Indeed. Limiting your own mistakes and capitalizing on your opponent's mistakes are very important aspects of the game.

If we are limiting this discussion to cards or mechanics within the game itself, then my biggest bane are probably Defense Rolls. I absolutely loath having my attack miss. That's why I have a huge crush on Brogan and I always pack some Falcon Precision spells with me.

lil_drag_n

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 04:56:50 AM »
My mage war nickname is '1 life left'. Can u guess why?  That's right, every thing I try to kill ends up with one life left and I have to waste another action to kill it.
Jedi vs that orc guy from L of the R, wow what a mix,... i wonder if AW would consider Dhalsim a mage.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 07:49:20 AM »
@ Zuberi I feel you there 2 out of my last 3 losses were mostly caused because I made dumb mistakes.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »
I am totally my worst enemy. I get wrapped up in the "cool" thing. Then, three turns later I realize, "Dang I shouldn't have done that, but it was cool at the time."

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »
My biggest bane? Keeping track of all the important little details. So much multitasking. I'm a lot better now than I used to be, but I still sometimes forget to pay upkeep if my opponent doesn't remind me...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »
I think the "own worst enemy" thing is what separates  upper-medium skill players (like me) from the really excelent tournament players.

There's one guy I play who doesn't know the rules quite as well as I do, doesn't spend nearly as much time reading and thinking about the game, and doesn't really care as much about the game, but when he plays his execution is often flawless, and I only win maybe 40% of my games against him.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.