May 05, 2024, 02:45:50 PM

Author Topic: A few questions...  (Read 2347 times)

JCD

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
A few questions...
« on: June 01, 2013, 01:00:46 PM »
I recently played through my first couple of games of Mage Wars. During our play, a few rule issues came up that we didn’t quite know for sure if we got it right. We’re pretty sure we got them mostly right and think I've clarified through some of the posts, but I wanted to clarify anyway. The issues are as follows:

1. If a creature has counterstrike ability and during the initial attack the creature takes enough damage to die, do they still get to counterstrike? I think I read that it does NOT occur, but I’ve read some conflicting posts.

2. If I have a burn token on a creature, I have the ability to either roll a die (to see if the creature can remove the token for free or if they take additional damage) OR I can pay 2 mana to remove the token before taking damage. This scenario would be true for any of the tokens/conditions with a stated removal cost.

3. Using the Beast Master as an example, if he attacks unaided, he uses 4 die – the stated 3d on his mage card and +1 for his melee attack bonus. If he were to use the Staff of Beasts, he would get 5d (4d + 1d). The Warlock would have a similar bonus as the other mage with the melee attack bonus.

4. If a flying creature attacks a ground based creature, that same ground based creature can counter strike during that same action, but later cannot attack the flying creature when they take their action. Similarly, none of the other opponent creatures can attack that flying creature, assuming they don’t have the flying creature.

DallasSooner87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
I recently played through my first couple of games of Mage Wars. During our play, a few rule issues came up that we didn’t quite know for sure if we got it right. We’re pretty sure we got them mostly right and think I've clarified through some of the posts, but I wanted to clarify anyway. The issues are as follows:

1. If a creature has counterstrike ability and during the initial attack the creature takes enough damage to die, do they still get to counterstrike? I think I read that it does NOT occur, but I’ve read some conflicting posts.

2. If I have a burn token on a creature, I have the ability to either roll a die (to see if the creature can remove the token for free or if they take additional damage) OR I can pay 2 mana to remove the token before taking damage. This scenario would be true for any of the tokens/conditions with a stated removal cost.

3. Using the Beast Master as an example, if he attacks unaided, he uses 4 die – the stated 3d on his mage card and +1 for his melee attack bonus. If he were to use the Staff of Beasts, he would get 5d (4d + 1d). The Warlock would have a similar bonus as the other mage with the melee attack bonus.

4. If a flying creature attacks a ground based creature, that same ground based creature can counter strike during that same action, but later cannot attack the flying creature when they take their action. Similarly, none of the other opponent creatures can attack that flying creature, assuming they don’t have the flying creature.

1. They do not get to counterstrike if they die. So you were correct on that one.

2. You may remove them if you have an ability to remove them. IE You can't just play the mana, you must use something like the Priestess ability, or a spell card to remove the tokens (and also pay the mana cost).

3. Correct. BM gets +1 to any of his melee attacks.

4. Correct, I am fairly certain at least.

Enjoy the game. It hs probably become one of my favorite games since I got it.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »
4. Unless they have a Melee weapon with the Reach trait or have a Ranged attack. Even if the range is 1-2 they may attack a flying creature in the same zone with their ranged attack.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
#4. If they attack a creature without flight then they lose Flight for the entirety of that attack. Once the attack is over they regain the Flight ability. So the Counterstrike would work
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.