May 09, 2024, 11:31:22 AM

Author Topic: Forged in Fire Preview - Altar of Domination (and Talos)!  (Read 16123 times)

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
Forged in Fire Preview - Altar of Domination (and Talos)!
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
Not 1, but 2 cards for you viewing pleasure today as Aaron introduces the Altar of Domination and it's companion... Talos!

http://www.arcanewonders.com/arcane-wonders/forged-in-fire-preview-altar-of-domination

• Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Forged in Fire Preview - Altar of Domination (and Talos)!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:31:14 AM »
Methinks Warlord just saw a huge boost in popularity (and playability).

The Altar itself is a bit fragile so you'd have to protect it well (cause you know the enemy is coming right for it).

Surround it with walls and then unleash Talos upon the arena.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:35:26 AM »
*Drools* oh man, thats crazy. Gonna be a challenge getting him out, but I think it will be worth it. Gotta be super turtley with defending the outposts until this bad boy comes out

Edit: This sort of reminds me of the Iron Golem being a bane to the forcemaster. If the Warlord manages to get this out against the warlock, since its burnproof and most of her and her creatures attacks are fire based, she is going to be in trouble.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:41:17 AM by Death-from-above »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »
aww, I guess I'll remove my FIF reveal of these.  I waited a couple minutes to make sure you guys had a chance to post it but oh well. Talos is that 28 mana creature i saw in the FIF unboxing. It looks like he will be good with war incantations.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:00:47 AM »
aww, I guess I'll remove my FIF reveal of these.  I waited a couple minutes to make sure you guys had a chance to post it but oh well. Talos is that 28 mana creature i saw in the FIF unboxing. It looks like he will be good with war incantations.

I almost did that too lol. We would have had 3 of the same posts. I figured they'd be posting this one themselves though.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »
Edit: This sort of reminds me of the Iron Golem being a bane to the forcemaster. If the Warlord manages to get this out against the warlock, since its burnproof and most of her and her creatures attacks are fire based, she is going to be in trouble.

Most outposts have Flame +2 though, so the Warlock can fight against it before it hits the field. Forcemater vs Iron Golem...not so much.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:08:44 AM »
Why has this guy manacosts, when he is summoned for free via the Altar?
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
Also, why aren't the warlord and god of war (Talos) soldiers themselves? Is it because we don't want to give them crazy bonuses, cuz i do! Maybe the god is too full of himself to take battle orders from mortals, yet command incantations work just fine, and those seem like orders to me.

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »
That is there solely for cards that require a creatures level or mana cost to be factored into the spell  i.e. Rouse the Beast requires mana equal to the level of the target creature to cast. (Rouse the beast was a poor example since Talos starts with an action marker ready, but you get the gist)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:25:53 AM by Death-from-above »
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »

I almost did that too lol. We would have had 3 of the same posts. I figured they'd be posting this one themselves though.

We try to post as soon as possible once the main post is up.  With Facebook, Twitter, BGG, forums, and of course, the presidential library, it's a long list of postings to make, but thank you guys for keeping us on our toes :)
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 11:16:55 AM »

Most outposts have Flame +2 though, so the Warlock can fight against it before it hits the field. Forcemater vs Iron Golem...not so much.

Right, but he's saying that IF it does get summoned, she has no good way to deal with it. Not that anybody really does. Too hard to kill, can't be contained with Tanglevines and such. Best bet is probably to Banish him, like with Sardonyx.

But then again, if he manages to come out, your opponent probably did something wrong. Or they just didn't have the cards to deal with the Warlord's outposts. And in that case, they'd probably lose anyway.

Force Hammers and Fire attack spells are going to be highly increased in the meta after this.

That is there solely for cards that require a creatures level or mana cost to be factored into the spell  i.e. Rouse the Beast requires mana equal to the level of the target creature to cast. (Rouse the beast was a poor example since Talos starts with an action marker ready, but you get the gist)

Rouse the Beast only works on living creatures so either way, bad example :P But to his point, are there any currently released cards that are affected by this?

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 11:26:26 AM »

Rouse the Beast only works on living creatures so either way, bad example :P But to his point, are there any currently released cards that are affected by this?
Yeah, I mentioned that was a poor example. Quicksand is the only one I can think of that would affect him and it would call for his creature level. Since he is Non-living and Physic Immun it pretty much negates almost all cards that require creature level to be factored in.

As far as mana cost goes, I can't think of anything out at the moment that directly relates to a creatures mana cost. Of course I am probably missing som
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Thanks man"

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 11:35:25 AM »
I think quicksand wouldnt work because unstoppable means he cant be restrained. i could be wrong.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
I think quicksand wouldnt work because unstoppable means he cant be restrained. i could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure he could just walk out of the zone since he can't be restrained.

The new defend incatation would as least interact with its level.

But i cant think of a current card which asks for mana costs and can target an unstoppable nonliving creature

Defend can also only target Living creatures, so that doesn't work either. It's gotta be with cards that haven't been released yet.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »
This is just "in case of". Stop to extrapolate about its mana cost :P