May 20, 2024, 12:08:00 AM

Author Topic: FIF: Combustion Preview  (Read 11133 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
FIF: Combustion Preview
« on: May 27, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »
Things go "boom" with today's preview, Combustion. You can find it ]>>HERE<<. Time to blow things up!

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: FIF: Combustion Preview
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »

Nice card if you have a bunch of burns stacked on something and you think your opponent is going to play Renewing Rain, Geyser, or Surging Wave to get rid of them. Instead of them being gone for nothing, you get to make one final attack with them!

http://magewars.weebly.com/news/combustion
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
I will definetly try a "Burning Warlock" build. Smoldering curses = Flame +1 and i am afraid, Warlock would have to pay a great insurance fees for his building when he will face a Warlock oriented on flame+burn.

Will there be some kind of creature which will actually benefit from BURN tokens? :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
Will there be some kind of creature which will actually benefit from BURN tokens? :)

Well, if you're using the Adramelech Warlock, all of her Demons get to heal when attacking an enemy with a burn.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:22 PM »

Good question!!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

lettucemode

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »
Nice replacement for finisher attack spells.

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »
There is another nice use for this card. If you want an opponents creature dead rather in this round than to wait for some more rounds, it might be good to use this card.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »
This is very cool. Can't wait to just explode all the burn tokens on an enemy. The really cool thing is I really don't care if they have a Nullify on them, what's the worse that can happen? They keep their Burn tokens? Bwahahahahaha! So much fun.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
Nice replacement for finisher attack spells.

Especially since there are plenty of conjurations with Flame +2. So with only 1 burn marker on them you get 4 attack dice for 5 mana, which is not to bad at all.

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 10:23:32 PM »
I'm so ready to rebuild my Malakai priest spell book around this one... any takers?
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 10:40:27 PM »
I'm so ready to rebuild my Malakai priest spell book around this one... any takers?

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with at least Toxziq. The Priest remains one of the mages I've yet to get competent with.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:52:15 AM »

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with at least Toxziq. The Priest remains one of the mages I've yet to get competent with.

It seems like people have trouble with him but all he really needs to be competent is a battleforge, a HA'd cleric to soak hits (when the time comes), and a HoB for versatility. Boiled down its fairly typical battleforge strat...

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 12:54:17 AM »

With asyran defenders becoming legal in addition, this set definitely seems to give the priest some nice new options

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 02:16:27 AM »
The Priest has a love/hate relationship with this set, in my opinion. There's a lot of cards that benefit him greatly and will really improve his game play, but there is also the new Warlock. Since she not only neuters his primary ability, but can actually use it against him, it creates a terrible match up for him. One bad match up out of 12 possibilities (15 if you count the different variations of Wizard) is not horrible and certainly no reason to stop playing him, but it does make him sad.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 02:27:45 AM »
I really like the look of Combustion. It adds an interesting trade off to stacking Burns and letting them run their course vs using them for damage now for earlier kills and to avoid losing them to Geyser/Surging Wave/Renewing Rain. I can see it being an important tool for the Adramelech Warlock and the Priest.

So far I would estimate that Combustion is something that will generally become worthwhile once you hit 4 Burns, but I'll have to see it in practice to get a better sense for that.

I'm looking forward to trying the Priest once these new options are available. Except against the Adramelech Warlock. I figure I'll just have to increase my channeling and play more creatures in that matchup.