May 03, 2024, 06:04:32 PM

Author Topic: FIF: Break the Warlock's Curse  (Read 19758 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: FIF: Break the Warlock's Curse
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 03:14:14 AM »
Zuberi just come on over to the dark side buddy. We're gonna get you eventually and it's so much better if you don't fight it ;D

Aylin I'm seeing a lot of synergy with her and the cards previewed earlier. Yes Adamelechs Torment and Touch are going to be in a lot of her books I imagine. A lot of the older stuff will obviously work well with her too. I honestly see her using Sectarus more than I do the Lash of Hellfire for example. I could also see a nice little combo of her putting a number of burn tokens on a mage then bringing out the Ghoul Rot for extra pain.

As for the Priest, yeah he's going to have a hard fight against her no two ways about it. You're gonna have to be real creative to find a way for him to counter her.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 11:48:25 PM »
I'd be tempted, as the Adramelech Warlock, to cast a curse on either myself or one of my own creatures.

That way at the end of every one of my action phases, I could put another burn on my opponent for the low price of 2 mana. One curse in particular comes to mind... >_>

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 02:08:30 AM »
Quote from: Aylin
One curse in particular comes to mind... >_>

Indeed. I would totally do this.

YoungDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2014, 02:58:16 AM »
Good morning guys,

I'm obviously being very dense this morning.  Aylin, your post (2 back) had me going back to the Mage's stat card, and I just can't figure out what you're driving at.  I don't see it - could you possibly explain - I know I'm probably going to look really dopey - but I had a late night last night, and I've not finished breakfast yet, so please be gentle.

All of us over here in sunny Cambridgeshire are still very much newcomers to this awesome game - but we'll get there!

Thanks in advance.

Dave I

Dr.Cornelius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2014, 03:04:29 AM »
some cool variant come into my mind if your opponent starts the game with initiative and move at least one field in first round. of course it will work only for careless player or focused on sth. else then armor at the beginning.

1. round (move one field)
hawkeye, ring of fire

2. round (move one field)
marked of death, fireball

so you he face 10 dice attack from fireball  and 83% chance for at least one burn.

of course against Dwarf Warlord chances  for burns are lower, and facing forcemaster you have 50% chance to hit so you would probably think about some other opening, but in othe cases it can be nice start :)
A strong opponent will get a Nullify down early, and follow with Elemental Cloak.  With so much focus on fire, the Aldramech warlock is going to be very vulnerable to the Elemental Cloak, and will need to pack counters.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2014, 03:46:36 AM »
YoungDave, the way I am interpreting Aylin's comment (and I could be mistaken) is that she means to combine it with the previewed card "Adramelech's Torment" that will be released in Forged in Fire and the Curse card "Rise Again" on her own creature. This would allow her to put a burn on her creature for 2 mana and then immediately transfer that burn onto her enemy with the new Mages Ability. All the while, her creature will have a beneficial enchantment on it that will allow it to reanimate should it be killed.

Edited for correct pronouns
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:21:09 AM by Zuberi »

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2014, 04:01:06 AM »
YoungDave, the way I am interpreting Aylin's comment (and I could be mistaken) is that he means to combine it with the previewed card "Adramelech's Torment" that will be released in Forged in Fire and the Curse card "Rise Again" on his own creature. This would allow him to put a burn on his creature for 2 mana and then immediately transfer that burn onto his enemy with the new Mages Ability. All the while, his creature will have a beneficial enchantment on it that will allow it to reanimate should it be killed.

Rise Again is it.

Though I think Main Wings would also work for books that focused on having Adramelech out early...

Also if you could use the proper pronouns in the future, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2014, 04:21:31 AM »
Quote from: Aylin
Also if you could use the proper pronouns in the future, that would be awesome. Thanks!

My apologies madam. It has been corrected.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2014, 04:29:00 AM »
Maim Wings could work, but it's certainly not something I would really want on my own creature. Definitely not on one of my flyers. We can put it on a non-flying creature meaning it essentially has no effect at all other than to allow us to apply burns, but I'd much rather have something like Rise Again where I actually get a benefit other than the burn trick being discussed.

I might consider using Death Link. It is an optional effect which can be used to your advantage when applied to one of your own creatures. Such as by waking them from a Sleep effect. If the creature has vampiric or regeneration it provides an effective way to heal your mage also without too much stress on the creature.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2014, 08:31:16 AM »
A revealed Rise again on a decent (i.e. Blood) demon would almost have to result in an auto-Dispel once revealed (its not a curse when it is hidden).

@Aylin, I apologize in advance if I have a dangling participle hanging out here somewhere!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »
Didn't think you could put Maim Wings on a non-flyer.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2014, 12:24:05 PM »
Didn't think you could put Maim Wings on a non-flyer.

The target line does not require the creature to have flying

YoungDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 01:23:13 PM »
Thank you Zuberi.

I hadn't picked up on that at all, and it was doing my head in.

I should just stick to playing games!

Cheers

Dave I

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »
Maim Wings could work, but it's certainly not something I would really want on my own creature. Definitely not on one of my flyers. We can put it on a non-flying creature meaning it essentially has no effect at all other than to allow us to apply burns, but I'd much rather have something like Rise Again where I actually get a benefit other than the burn trick being discussed.

I might consider using Death Link. It is an optional effect which can be used to your advantage when applied to one of your own creatures. Such as by waking them from a Sleep effect. If the creature has vampiric or regeneration it provides an effective way to heal your mage also without too much stress on the creature.

My main issue with Rise Again is that I doubt I would have the mana to revive the creature, especially if I was using an extra 2 mana every round to apply extra burns. The Infernian Scourger might work for this, though since it doesn't have Flame attacks it wouldn't get a benefit from Smoldering Curses... Also as sIKE said it might be a Dispel target (though that would probably apply to any curse you use to do this, Rise Again is a bit easier to get rid of).

The appeal Maim Wings has to me though is that I could use it on myself and still have Adramelech as my creature (or any future Flame Immune demon, since that is typically associated with having Flame attacks).

It's a bit hard to tell which one is better, though I think I'm leaning towards Maim Wings since it would work in almost any strategy.

I hadn't considered Death Link though. Plagued might be a good option as well if your opponent was playing Swarm. Both of those are expensive to cast though.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
It is kind of a double edged sword. Spells that are cheaper to cast are easier to Dispel. I'm not certain how tempting a target it would be to Dispel our friendly Curse though. Rise Again would certainly be more so than Maim Wings, but I can think of a few things that should be a higher priority for them. Marked for Death springs to the forefront, as that may be granting 2 extra attack dice to all of the new Warlock's creatures.

You are correct to be thinking about something that would work in almost any strategy. Rise Again is only more useful if you think you may have the mana to reanimate them when they die, and as you pointed out we will be hemorrhaging mana. Maim Wings meanwhile has the benefits of being able to cast it on your Mage and being able to shift it over to an enemy flyer if necessary. Another similar option would be the new Adramelech's Touch, which can be shifted over to any enemy creature you're trying to focus down including their Mage if you should ever want to.