May 03, 2024, 01:11:52 AM

Author Topic: Nullify on decoy with enchanters wardstone  (Read 3200 times)

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Nullify on decoy with enchanters wardstone
« on: August 15, 2015, 03:28:47 AM »
Yesterday I was battling and I had my [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard] out.
I played [mwcard=MW1E10]Decoy[/mwcard] on the enemy mage which it countered with [mwcard=MW1E29]Nullify[/mwcard].

First of all I wanted him to pay 2 more mana to counter the nullify but he said that my enchantment was not in play yet so the effect of [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard] did not work.
Secondly, I wanted my 2 mana back from nullify, but my opponent said that, for the same reason, I did not get it back.

I did not know this but if I think about it, it seems correct. Someone that can confirm this?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify on decoy with enchanters wardstone
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 04:10:03 AM »
Yeah, he was right in both questions.

At nullify, there is stated that douring counter spell step, you reveal Nullify. There are three steps when you are casting spell.

1) Casting step
2) Counterspell step
3) Resolve step

In 1) you choose target, check Line of Sight and pay mana. In 2) things with ability tou counter your spell can trigger. Because your spell never get to the 3) step, it never came into game as an enchantement thus Wardstone could not affected it. Same reasoning is applied on "2 mana back from decoy". That spell never start to exist, thus his ability also could not be trigered.
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 04:21:16 AM »
alright. I just never thought about it. And when he explained briefly I believed he was right but I wanted to make sure.  :)
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »
I have to bump this.

I want Wardstone to be triggered even when enchantments are countered by nullify.

I do not think its the same case as decoy granting mana when countered by nullify.

Ward stone is already summoned, so its effect it is in play.

When you are casting a spell you already control it at this point. (otherwise reverse magic does not make sense.) I believe The spell type is also defined - otherwise how can we know if nullify should trigger? (only incan. and ench).

The text on wardstone does not care if the enchantment is in play or not.

*When an enchantment you control would be destroyed by a spell or ability an opponent controls, prevent that destruction unless that opponent pays 2 mana.*

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »

When you are casting a spell you already control it at this point. (otherwise reverse magic does not make sense.) I believe The spell type is also defined - otherwise how can we know if nullify should trigger? (only incan. and ench).

Correct, control is granted at step 1) casting a spell:

Controller:
"Each spell or object in the game is controlled by the player who cast it. The controller may use and act with that object, and makes all decisions and choices for that spell or any abilities that object may have. Exception: Equipment is controlled by the Mage it is attached to."

However when you look at step 3)

Step 3: Resolve Spell At this point, the spell takes effect. The spell type (e.g., conjuration) and the text on the spell card determine the effects of the spell. If you have cast an attack spell, you must now resolve the attack. When a spell resolves, if you find that the target of the spell is no longer a legal target or has moved, then the spell is cancelled.

The game does not register that you are casting a specific type of spell until this step, which you never get to in the above example, and so wardstone will not trigger.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »
Destroyed
An object can only be destroyed from play. It has to have entered play, and then is usually destroyed by a spell or ability which specifically destroys it (such as Dissolve or Dispel), or if it has Life it can be destroyed when it receives enough damage to equal or exceed its Life.

If it never makes it into play it's not helped by Wardstone because it's not destroyed.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 09:21:06 PM »
Ringkichard is correct on this. It is a little confusing if you just look at the codex, because the entry for counter uses the term destroy for what happens to the spell, but Laddin has said repeatedly that these two terms are not meant to be connected and it was cleared up in the most recent supplement update with the passage ringkichard quoted. You can only destroy things in play. Countering is not the same as destroying.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 09:26:16 AM »
Thanks.

Sad though. The card is too weak when it doesnt help against nullify.