May 12, 2024, 10:25:29 PM

Author Topic: Library of the White Spires (Spellbook Reference)  (Read 48044 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Library of the White Spires (Spellbook Reference)
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:50:30 AM »
Welcome to the Library of the White Spires. If you but ask we can provide you with the knowledge you seek, even about other mages. Here we simply provide references of various successful mages. You can learn from their experience and from their make your own way. If you need assistance, ask a librarian, and please keep things quiet.

In this thread we're going to link many of the important iconic spellbooks to help new players to find interesting strategies for their mage. Please feel free to nominate threads for addition to this index.

Beastmaster - Straywood
What Does Beastmaster Swarm Look Like?
The Straywood Aviary (GenCon 2014 Champion Spellbook)
Nominate a Spellbook to Link

Priestess - Westlock
Westlock Angels (5-0 Swiss Gen Con 2015)

Warlock - Arraxian Crown
Lord of Terror (Bashcon Beatdown Build)
CURSES!

Wizard
The Blasting Banker*
The Fabled Watergate Wizard*
Weighted Training Clothes (Gen Con 2015 Champion Spellbook)*

Forcemaster

Warlord - Bloodwave
Knightmare (Bloodwave Warlord Spellbook)

Beastmaster - Johktari

Priest - Malakai

Druid

Necromancer
Meditation Graveyard (Gencon 2016 Champion)

Warlock - Adramalech
Trogdor the Burninator

Warlord - Anvil Throne
Big Boys, an aggressive Anvil Throne Warlord Spellbook

*Spellbooks are currently out of date and no longer legal.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:24:18 PM by Laddinfance »

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Library of the White Spires (Spellbook Reference)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »
Watergate Wizard for pretty obvious reasons.

Lord of Terror (BasCon Beatdown) because it won on of the earliest tournaments in the game and is an early implementation of buddy aggro build.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:15:17 AM »
Watergate Wizard for pretty obvious reasons.

Oddly enough, I had not included this one because It wasn't in the "Spellbook Design and Construction" forum. So I hadn't found it. Granted I figured someone would find it for me ;-).

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »
Oddly enough, I had not included this one because It wasn't in the "Spellbook Design and Construction" forum. So I hadn't found it. Granted I figured someone would find it for me ;-).

Glad I could be of some help :D
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 11:10:44 AM »
when you say "iconic" are you talking about only the most successful spellbooks or all tournament-viable ones?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 11:21:51 AM »
when you say "iconic" are you talking about only the most successful spellbooks or all tournament-viable ones?

When I thought about what spellbooks to nominate, I was thinking along the terms of ones that have had the most impact on the meta, whether that be by winning tournaments or implementing new strategies that had not been used before that ended up being successful on a regular basis. Just my two cents.

I suppose the most successful books will always be the most "iconic" books if we go by that reasoning. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's already a thread of every (more like almost every) spellbook that has been posted -->HERE<-- so we don't need another one doing the same kind of thing. Granted, that list hasn't been updated since April but still.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
Also I kind of already started this: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14624
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
Is this is a guide for new players to get a feel for currently competitive books?  Basically is this aiming to be a catalog of the "pillars" of the competitive scene as described by Alexander West in the recent podcast?  Because that is what I wanted to see in an easy to find format when I joined the game.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 01:19:10 PM »
Is this is a guide for new players to get a feel for currently competitive books?  Basically is this aiming to be a catalog of the "pillars" of the competitive scene as described by Alexander West in the recent podcast?  Because that is what I wanted to see in an easy to find format when I joined the game.

Not directly, but in a round about way yes. This came about because I found a post asking to "unsticky" something in this forum, but I thought the information was very useful. However, they were right, so in an effort to maintain the information we had out and add to it, I made this thread for housing those sort of useful spellbooks that are very mechanically solid.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14640.0

Here is a link to my "Knightmare" Bloodwave Warlord book. It is nothing so famous as the Watergate Wizard but it does demonstrate good fundamentals and I included a detailed turn by turn instructions for new players. I have not tested the book on a national level by any means but it is currently devastating my local meta with nearly a dozen victories and still undefeated.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »
I nominate my Big Boys Warlord spellbook. Very solid. It is agressive and can deal with most of the situations that should arise.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 08:28:39 AM »
I nominate my Big Boys Warlord spellbook. Very solid. It is agressive and can deal with most of the situations that should arise.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14640.0

Here is a link to my "Knightmare" Bloodwave Warlord book. It is nothing so famous as the Watergate Wizard but it does demonstrate good fundamentals and I included a detailed turn by turn instructions for new players. I have not tested the book on a national level by any means but it is currently devastating my local meta with nearly a dozen victories and still undefeated.

I think both books are good examples of workable strategies with the Warlords. I'm adding them up top.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 10:54:11 AM »
I think we should be cautious about people self nominating.  Of course everyone thinks their own book is awesome.

On an unrelated note I nominate my book Druid - Predetor because it's awesome.   :D   (It beat my brother's Beastmaster - Aviary in testing).  You could replace the main creature with a guardian angle or a bear and tweak the enchantments but the fundamental strategy for the druid is probably close to her ideal and iconic strategy.  One big enchanted main creature supported by efficient plant creatures from a vine tree.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 11:01:12 AM »
I think we should be cautious about people self nominating.  Of course everyone thinks their own book is awesome.

On an unrelated note I nominate my book Druid - Predetor because it's awesome.   :D   (It beat my brother's Beastmaster - Aviary in testing).  You could replace the main creature with a guardian angle or a bear and tweak the enchantments but the fundamental strategy for the druid is probably close to her ideal and iconic strategy.  One big enchanted main creature supported by efficient plant creatures from a vine tree.

I do read the nominees and try to ensure they're solid books that showcase what you can do in Mage Wars.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »
Your curse warlock Laddin you posted a while ago. It seemed solid.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:11:42 AM by Wildhorn »