May 02, 2024, 08:53:44 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Academy Expansion Spoilers  (Read 49302 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Academy Expansion
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 09:51:14 PM »
Nope.  It was more like LoW said above, streamlined rules for beginners, lower price point to lower barrier to entry for casual gamers with the ability to play with just 2 spell books (no board) in about 20-30 minutes.  It honestly sounds a lot like a Mage Wars version of MtG with your Mage slinging spells and creatures duking it out in the red zone.  Supposed to be fully compatible with the full game (though maybe not the other way around), so I would probably pick it up for the kids if nothing else.

A MW version of MTG?  I . . . could actually get behind that.  That was kind of my impression too after watching the video. 

Right, they had that some of that awhile back. My theory was more hope and conjecture based on the fact that they're introducing new spells. It'd be interesting if they did release a bunch of novice utility spells.

Translation: I want novice arcane spells for the warlord. :)

Yes please! FiF helps him immensely, but if he has to pay more than everyone else for stuff that's mandatory for all intents and purposes, he's still at a disadvantage.

I'm not so sure about dispel and teleport still being mandatory for him, Harshforge could be a sufficiently useful alternative. I think it's too early to tell.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:53:00 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Elessar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Academy Expansion
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:14 PM »
Nope.  It was more like LoW said above, streamlined rules for beginners, lower price point to lower barrier to entry for casual gamers with the ability to play with just 2 spell books (no board) in about 20-30 minutes.  It honestly sounds a lot like a Mage Wars version of MtG with your Mage slinging spells and creatures duking it out in the red zone.  Supposed to be fully compatible with the full game (though maybe not the other way around), so I would probably pick it up for the kids if nothing else.

A MW version of MTG?  I . . . could actually get behind that.  That was kind of my impression too after watching the video. 

Right, they had that some of that awhile back. My theory was more hope and conjecture based on the fact that they're introducing new spells. It'd be interesting if they did release a bunch of novice utility spells.

Translation: I want novice arcane spells for the warlord. :)

Yes please! FiF helps him immensely, but if he has to pay more than everyone else for stuff that's mandatory for all intents and purposes, he's still at a disadvantage.

I'm not so sure about dispel and teleport still being mandatory for him, Harshforge could be a sufficiently useful alternative. I think it's too early to tell.

Hmm, fair enough.  Just personally, I don't think I'd want to run him without at least 2 dispels.  Time will tell.   
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 07:43:08 AM »
Actually i am curious about this idea, sure, the biggest problem with MW is that it is "too deep" for new players to get caught straight up, but thats what the game is about, complex Mage dueling!

We will see what is inside the box so i wont judge before i have more clues
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »
I rather agree.  As the number of Mages increase and the variety of spells and combos increase, the learning curve for new players is increasing.  First in playing and understanding then with just the basic set being matched against suitable opponents.  Especially seeing experienced players wipe the floor with you using all sorts of cards and combos you have not seen in the basic set. 

Idea is to get people involved and excited.  Moving from the academy to the apprentice mode is still a good step introducing the board, more room and a wider variety of spells.  Once they hit the big league, hopefully they are hooked.

blackirishguilt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ka is a wheel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 07:24:41 AM »
I don't know, as a previous MtG and Heroclix player, Mage Wars isn't that complicated.  I mean sure there are combos and fun things you can exploit which makes the game awesome, but when you step back and realize there are only 357 unique cards in the game, many restricted to certain schools, the ceiling isn't nearly as daunting as in those other games with thousands of possible combinations.  That said, I will never turn up my nose at getting more.  I love this game!   ;D

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 10:21:04 PM »
The problem isn't the ceiling, it's the floor.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
I was on some magic tournaments in germany and i must say while the amount of cards you need to know to be "good at it" is way up and the ruling has some niches to be exploited , Mage Wars is just more to deal with (the mentioned floor, for example!)

Besides getting someone into magic with 2 easy starter decks is much easier and has less keywords than even the apprentice mode in MW
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Academy Expansion Spoilers
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
Going to post academy spoilers here instead of creating a new thread. See original post for list of cards revealed so far.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:37:17 PM by Lord0fWinter »
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »
@lordwinter i would have gone with a new thread, since this one is from 2014
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 11:34:22 AM »
So we get an update here? That would be great. It is wonderful to have all the great spoilers in one place.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »
Was able to get a picture of the suggested spellbooks off of one of those Academy videos. Not the best quality but somebody with good eyes might be able to discern the names of some cards in the set. That doesn't really help figure out what they do but its better than nothing  ;)

Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »
If people agree on which spell they'd like to see previewed next, I'll totally do it for next week's preview ;-).

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »
If people agree on which spell they'd like to see previewed next, I'll totally do it for next week's preview ;-).

How about "_____, King of the ____ _____" (6th creature on the Beasmaster's list)?

Or for a non-creature, how about "Wolf Fury" (? - last enchantment in the BM list)?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:06:50 PM by iNano78 »

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 01:11:01 PM »

How about "_____, King of the ____ _____" (6th creature on the Beasmaster's list)?

Or for a non-creature, how about "Wolf Fury" (? - last enchantment in the BM list)?

Slavorg, Fang of the First Moon was in one of the videos I believe. Regardless I saw him in another thread. He's pretty sweet.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »
Ah yes.  More spoilers here:
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15739.msg53466#msg53466

Was able to get a picture of the suggested spellbooks off of one of those Academy videos. Not the best quality but somebody with good eyes might be able to discern the names of some cards in the set. That doesn't really help figure out what they do but its better than nothing  ;)

The nature enchantments appear to be:

- Badger ____ (? - Bravery? Frenzy?  Hard to read; have no idea what this does)
- Gator Toughness (? - enchantment version of [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ03]Colossus Belt[/mwcard]? Or maybe weaker [mwcard=MW1E36]Rhino Hide[/mwcard]?)
- Iguana Regrowth (probably a weaker [mwcard=MW1E32]Regrowth[/mwcard])
- Joined Strength (see other thread)
- Panther Stealth (? - probably similar to [mwcard=MW1E28]Mongoose Agility[/mwcard] somehow without being identical)
- Tangle____ (Tanglesnare? - enchantment that causes Unmoveable? Would that do anything in Academy?)
- Wolf Fury (maybe an enchantment that gives Doublestrike? Or just weaker [mwcard=MW1E01]Bear Strength[/mwcard])
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:19:59 PM by iNano78 »