May 02, 2024, 05:41:07 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Academy Expansion Spoilers  (Read 49300 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Academy Expansion Spoilers
« on: July 08, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »
Academy is being pre-released at GenCon. It's a new, simpler, faster way to play and trust me, it's amazing!

I'll cover the rules and differences here and post spoilers as they get revealed.

What comes in the box

2 Mage Cards
2 Mage Ability Cards
2 Four-pocket Spellbooks
2 Status Trackers
131 Spell Cards
62 Markers
6 Attack Dice
1 Twelve-sided Effect Die
Rules and Codex

How much is it?

$29.99

When is it available?

There will be a limited supply available for pickup at GenCon.

It will be available in stores soon after.

What are the differences between Academy and Arena?

• As we all know by now, Mage Wars Arena is the regular way to play the game that we all know and love. It will continue to be fully supported with expansions and all that so don't worry.
  • Academy is a new line of games within the same universe that uses the same mechanics. It is its own standalone game that simulates the Mages of Mage Wars when they are at the Academy learning their spells.
  • Thus it is simpler, faster to play, and easier to teach. It plays in about 20-30 minutes but still feels like Mage Wars.
  • You play without a board, with a single zone containing all of the cards.
  • You still play with a spellbook and have the option to cast any spell out of it during your turn.
  • It will have suggested spellbooks but will allow full customization of spellbooks, just like Arena.
  • There will be expansions for Academy as well, introducing new Mages and new cards for it.
  • All cards in Academy can also be used in Arena, but not all Arena cards can be used in Academy.

Mages

Equipment

Attacks

Two promos available if pre-ordered.

7/1/15
SHRINK

Dawnbreaker's Chosen + CONTEST

Steelclaws

Johktari Hunting Knife

Paralyzing Basilisk

7/22/15

7/22/15

Azurian Genie and Wynchwood Hound

Wynchwood Faerie

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:52:45 PM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Academy Expansion
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
If it's balanced I'm all for it. I would be worried about aggro having an unfair advantage with it being only three zones and all, but if you can only cast spells at range 0-0 then it's probably fine. The metagame would be VERY different though.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »
This is interesting. I'm all for some new spells if they're compatible with the core game. Could be real useful for ambassadors.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:51:33 AM »
3 zones? maybe this version it´s only  throwing attacks to opponents without move, maybe good to teach bad seems a bit boring or similar a normal card game.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:15:45 AM »
Common guys.

Its clear from the interview that this is for casual gamers who would like to learn mage wars.

Boardgamers doesnt need this introduction variant as they typically have experience in similar games, or atleast in alot of differnet games.

Big kudos for the approach with this 'game mode'. Adding in stuff i can use in regular MW while leaving more complex cards out in this variant, makes me wanna add this 'expansion' to my collection even though i consider myself a hardcore MW gamer.

My question is:
Will the 'teach mage wars' variant be obsolete for those with this expansion? (not that i will miss it.)

lettucemode

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:47:26 AM »
I would imagine that balance and comparability with the current card set are not included in the design goals for this set. It is something people will play once or twice and then move on.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:36:22 AM »
I think it'll be worth picking up. It'll be most useful for getting new players interested in the game or enticing casual/younger gamers. But also useful for pulling out to play when you have a limited amount of time available.

Obviously strategies, metagame, cards and the rules are all going to be different since there are only 3 zones. But I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting it just for the fact that it'll be an easy way to teach people how to play as a stepping stone into the real game. If it's actually good, that'll make it even more worth it.

It was mentioned that "All cards from the Academy work with the other sets, but not all cards from the original sets work with the Academy expansion." So I'm sure they took into consideration that some cards are going to be really OP if they could be used in this.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:35:05 AM »
They mentioned this somewhere (where? I can't recall - maybe GAMA?)  a few months ago. Sounds like a bit more info now though, I'll have to watch the video.

My theory after first hearing about it is they'll use this to balance some of the issues floating around - novice, limited versions of teleport, dispel, etc. That way all mages can have access to "required" spells at a low cost. Did they discuss anything like that in the cool stuff video?

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »
This initiative is great!
But what worries me is that it will be too far from the real game experience. It might be too simple and end up with a "roll-best-die-to-win-game".
New card are always nice though.

blackirishguilt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ka is a wheel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 11:07:09 AM »
They mentioned this somewhere (where? I can't recall - maybe GAMA?)  a few months ago. Sounds like a bit more info now though, I'll have to watch the video.

My theory after first hearing about it is they'll use this to balance some of the issues floating around - novice, limited versions of teleport, dispel, etc. That way all mages can have access to "required" spells at a low cost. Did they discuss anything like that in the cool stuff video?

Nope.  It was more like LoW said above, streamlined rules for beginners, lower price point to lower barrier to entry for casual gamers with the ability to play with just 2 spell books (no board) in about 20-30 minutes.  It honestly sounds a lot like a Mage Wars version of MtG with your Mage slinging spells and creatures duking it out in the red zone.  Supposed to be fully compatible with the full game (though maybe not the other way around), so I would probably pick it up for the kids if nothing else. 

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »

Nope.  It was more like LoW said above, streamlined rules for beginners, lower price point to lower barrier to entry for casual gamers with the ability to play with just 2 spell books (no board) in about 20-30 minutes.  It honestly sounds a lot like a Mage Wars version of MtG with your Mage slinging spells and creatures duking it out in the red zone.  Supposed to be fully compatible with the full game (though maybe not the other way around), so I would probably pick it up for the kids if nothing else.

Right, they had that some of that awhile back. My theory was more hope and conjecture based on the fact that they're introducing new spells. It'd be interesting if they did release a bunch of novice utility spells.

Translation: I want novice arcane spells for the warlord. :)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
As a true fan, i have only two questions.

a) Will this "cooperate" with standard mage wars (cards will be usable for both games etc.)

b) How much will it cost, so i can made some small changes in our family buget soon enough.

:)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

blackirishguilt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ka is a wheel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 02:34:38 PM »
As a true fan, i have only two questions.

a) Will this "cooperate" with standard mage wars (cards will be usable for both games etc.)

b) How much will it cost, so i can made some small changes in our family buget soon enough.

:)

If I remember correctly, Scott said that all MWA cards would be fully compatible with the full game, but there may be some already released cards that wouldn't work well with Academy.  I think he also put the MSRP around $30 and they are hoping for release around Xmas or early next year.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 03:04:37 PM »
Sold!
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Elessar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 08:42:22 PM »

A MW version of MTG?  I . . . could actually get behind that.  That was kind of my impression too after watching the video. 

Right, they had that some of that awhile back. My theory was more hope and conjecture based on the fact that they're introducing new spells. It'd be interesting if they did release a bunch of novice utility spells.

Translation: I want novice arcane spells for the warlord. :)

Yes please! FiF helps him immensely, but if he has to pay more than everyone else for stuff that's mandatory for all intents and purposes, he's still at a disadvantage.