May 02, 2024, 01:56:13 PM

Author Topic: Several suggestions for change  (Read 5022 times)

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Several suggestions for change
« on: September 12, 2014, 03:18:24 PM »
Hi buddies, the other day i have a fight with my warlocck vs. priest, and we talked about several possibles mistakes in the game:

-Vampiric enchantment.
 -I think that all people knows what is a vampire, he bites , he steal live with his fangs etc.etc...etc..., i thing it´s very , ridiculous that a mage with a weapon gain benefits of vampiric trait, maybe it´s better put in the text "melee attack without weapons or equipment"

-About heal:
  In Many Rol Games, normally when a priests or a sorcerer, use they heal spells, they can wound demons and nonliving creatures, maybe a rule with " if a creature have the demon type he suffer damage indeed heals of spells", because i believe it´s very ridicoluis when i used in my last game a heal spell for my Adramalech , maybe dark creatures would be his own type of heal, as a dark pact or similar according with his thematic.

Thoughs?

Thanks-

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
Re: Several suggestions for change
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »
I like the way Vampirism works presently. I feel it's mechanical value would be negated by limiting the dice pools for thematic reasons. If it helps you try thinking of the vampiric mage as licking the blood up that is splattered on his weapon or clothes. When you wound someone with a melee weapon there is rarely a shortage of splatter.

As to the heal effects effecting demons and undead I feel that would be a poor design decision. It would make dark mages have a severe handicap with their minions. Think about the dice pool totals available on the heal spells compared to much more expensive combat spells. The value of mana per die of damage would be insane. Look into other heal effects such as renewing rain or group heal and it gets even worse. For gameplay stability they would have to re-work and nerf all heal spells and effects in order to make dark mages playable. I like this mechanic in Final Fantasy games but I prefer the current mechanic in mage wars for the above reasons.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
I know holy attack spells add dice damage to undead things.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 04:14:09 PM »
I like the way Vampirism works presently. I feel it's mechanical value would be negated by limiting the dice pools for thematic reasons. If it helps you try thinking of the vampiric mage as licking the blood up that is splattered on his weapon or clothes. When you wound someone with a melee weapon there is rarely a shortage of splatter.

As to the heal effects effecting demons and undead I feel that would be a poor design decision. It would make dark mages have a severe handicap with their minions. Think about the dice pool totals available on the heal spells compared to much more expensive combat spells. The value of mana per die of damage would be insane. Look into other heal effects such as renewing rain or group heal and it gets even worse. For gameplay stability they would have to re-work and nerf all heal spells and effects in order to make dark mages playable. I like this mechanic in Final Fantasy games but I prefer the current mechanic in mage wars for the above reasons.

Yes, i understand you, but maybe  only demons would be possible, i only imagine a demon drinking holy water and it´s very very ridicolous, normally undead, would be undamage for heal, but demons it´s another history. Maybe with terrains we´ll see a sacred ground that avoid demons and undeads , but the game it´s  young and many changes could be done to be a more spectacular game.

Sirscott13

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 12:42:44 AM »
Skellectons have reconstruction spells. Demons are alive though, they bleed just like the rest of the living creatures. I think they should be able to be healed, but as far as renewing rain, the healing springs, healing charm, and clerics, I think they should not receive any healing.

Vampirism is awesome, but I think it should be rounded down on the dice not rounded up half the damage. I also think that it should have a high magebind cost. see also below a comment on vampirism

I only have three issues with healing powers:

1) there should be more plant healing spells that the druid and beast masters could take advantage of. I mean regenerative is nice, but if you're facing a warlock as a druid you need a little more help.

2) Second, I think there should be a conjuration that can repair nonliving (but not undead) creatures. Like a mechanic, reconstruction circle, or factory repair station. That way you can walk Talos, Jellys, or incorporeal creatures there and spend an action to heal them.

3) I think that making a blood demon is over rated. I would be far more appealing to it if they gained the vampirism trait when they become blood reapers. (Also why doesn't the werewolf pet have regenerate or a vampiric trait??)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 07:03:05 AM »
Becaise in Mage Wars universe werewolves do no regenerate. Simple as that.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 04:08:38 PM »
Hi buddies, the other day i have a fight with my warlocck vs. priest, and we talked about several possibles mistakes in the game:

-Vampiric enchantment.
 -I think that all people knows what is a vampire, he bites , he steal live with his fangs etc.etc...etc..., i thing it´s very , ridiculous that a mage with a weapon gain benefits of vampiric trait, maybe it´s better put in the text "melee attack without weapons or equipment"

-About heal:
  In Many Rol Games, normally when a priests or a sorcerer, use they heal spells, they can wound demons and nonliving creatures, maybe a rule with " if a creature have the demon type he suffer damage indeed heals of spells", because i believe it´s very ridicoluis when i used in my last game a heal spell for my Adramalech , maybe dark creatures would be his own type of heal, as a dark pact or similar according with his thematic.

Thoughs?

Thanks-

While it is an item rather than an enchantment, in old school early d&d there was a ring of vampiric regeneration.  And it worked nearly identically to the enchantment. You gained healing from dealing melee damage with a weapon of any kind.

Jon.Ambriz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
-About heal:
Having heal spells inflict damage on dark creatures would severely limit the ways a dark mage could heal his creatures, and place an unneeded handicap on them. Those dark mages are already paying triple the spell value just to put those healing spells into their books, and that's a good enough price. Even with a "dark pact" kind of healing incantation, how would it be worded; how would it interact with non-dark and non-undead creatures, since Skeletons have Reconstruct/Undead Resurgence and Devouring Jelly has its "inflict damage, reconstruct 2 damage" effect.

But, if you're going for school only healing magic, then why not have school only healing magic for the other seven schools outside of holy and dark? I know I'm using a slippery slope kind of statement, but that's kind of where the conversation will go once you start talking about "healing" instead of "reconstruction" for living creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
That's a nice spell you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.