May 02, 2024, 04:19:51 PM

Author Topic: beating the druid with the forcemaster  (Read 8661 times)

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
beating the druid with the forcemaster
« on: February 14, 2014, 07:00:44 AM »
So my local meta is really small.  I usually play a Forcemaster and my usual opponent plays a druid.  I lose to that druid a lot. I'd like to change that. For reasons of personal satisfaction, I'd like do it with the forcemaster.  I usually run a solo forcemaster + battleforge + obelisk, though I'm open to changing this strategy. However I'd like to avoid obvious tailoring (20 points of fire spells). Typically geysers eliminate the Forge pretty fast,  vines hinder me, and thornlasher conga lines drag me all over the board (I run eagleclaw boots, but they're dissolve magnets to a druid). Any suggestions?

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: beating the druid with the forcemaster
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 07:42:53 AM »
1. It is unusual for a Druid to run nonliving/psychic immune creatures, so you can get a lot of use out of your psychic spells. Mind Control is probably not worth it, but Charm and Pacify can work wonders.

2. Thoughtspores and Psyloks are flying, so they aren't hindered. Psyloks have critical attacks, which can be useful for getting through the Druid's armor.

3. Use armor ward to protect your boots. If the Druid is dissolving at vine range, it is unlikely that she will have enough mana to overcome the extra 4 needed to bypass it, so you can waste at least 1 corrode that way.

4. Forcefield. If the Druid turtles in the corner, she can't dispel it, and if she comes after you, the hindering vines don't really matter.

5. Use force pull to bring the Druid to you.

That's all I can think of for now.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:53:57 AM »
If you don't have any in your spell book I would throw in some reverse attacks, for some reason no one ever seems to expect them. Deathlock to cancel out the regeneration on all of the Druid's creatures. Use eagle wings to make yourself flying, then the Druid cannot use you as a volleyball because you will be pulled over the walls and not through them.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:59:37 AM »
If you don't have any in your spell book I would throw in some reverse attacks, for some reason no one ever seems to expect them. Deathlock to cancel out the regeneration on all of the Druid's creatures. Use eagle wings to make yourself flying, then the Druid cannot use you as a volleyball because you will be pulled over the walls and not through them.

Can't believe I forgot about Deathlock! That is the single card that I hate most when playing as a druid; cast it and protect it.

You can't cast eagle wings on yourself, though.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:10:21 AM »
Charms will definitely go in. I took all of my psychic effects out because the druid player used to run a necromancer and I didn't think to put them back in. Deathlock is also a good call. I use forcefields but thornlashers and tataree usually wear it down pretty fast (I may have to add a psylock to kill  the butterfly).

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »
You are right about eagle wings, had someone I played against cast it on his mage and did not catch that he could not do that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:37:12 AM by barriecritzer »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:32:10 PM »
I would recommend a slight change in strategy from running a solo mage to running a few big. The most powerful and effective forcemasters I have encountered have had a buddy with them. Using grizzly bear seems to be the most common, but I would actually try using Adromelech. His attacks are flame to really hurt those plants and he flies so no worries about vines.

You might be concerned about building just to counter the druid and the general spell point cost of including him, but these fears are unfounded. Take a look at other forcemasters. They tend to include around 30 points of creatures (non-forcemasters tend to include at least 20 points worth). And Adromelech is one of the most powerful critters out of all of them no matter who you are against. Thus he is worth the investment and he is helping you against any type of opponent.

You will then want to protect him off course. Nullify, dispel, mind shield, and healing wand are all viable aid in this regard to keep your opponent from just controlling him. Another trick that I've seen is using something like ghoul rot to wake him from sleep and then shifting or transfusing it to your opponent.

You might also try to reclaim your dominance over position control. You can afford a couple teleports, several copies of force push, and you have your force pull ability (which is free with use of the ring) to move things around regardless of vines. Make sure not to let the druid have elusive to keep her from kiting you too easily. Your goal should be to get in melee as fast as possible and stay there.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 03:35:37 PM »
I'm currently working on a Forcemaster spellbook and the Druid does require some special attention because of the tough matchup she presents.

The traits that define the Druid and her troops are Regeneration, Fire Weakness and Rooted.
Those are the things I'd like to take away and focus on.

Deathlock in your corner zone seems like a given. ( Regeneration removed )

Protect with a Thoughtspore with Flameblast ( Fire weakness ) who can also effectively backup the Forcemaster

Another Thoughtspore with Teleport can help you close the gap with the Druid and can further assist by simply teleporting annoying Rooted creatures like Thornlasher and Vine Snapper to a zone where they can't hurt anyone.

Protect your Thoughtspores from damage with Block

Thoughtspore with Force Push can also be quite effective in general, not only for moving your mage or moving guards out of the way but also for pushing the enemy mage into a wall for a 3-dice bash attack.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 05:29:53 PM »
You know since the Druid has to pay for Rooted a Suppression Orb could make it even more costly.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
You know since the Druid has to pay for Rooted a Suppression Orb could make it even more costly.
Orb and MO can do so much work against any build that wants 3+ creatures out
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

tsavonglah

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 06:54:34 PM »
Druids don't care about Suppression Orb—very few, if any, of their creatures ever take a move action. Mordok's Obelisk is definitely annoying, though.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »
Druids don't care about Suppression Orb—very few, if any, of their creatures ever take a move action. Mordok's Obelisk is definitely annoying, though.

Put both out at the same time and the druid will care. Lets just say Druid has 2 raptors out, you use SO and MO. The Druid channels 11 - 2 upkeep - 2 uproot - 4 to move each vine two zones. That is only 3 mana left for rest for the round.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:40:55 AM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 12:07:56 AM »
Most plants don't have armour and are have fairly low HP. Instead of Flameblast on your Thoughtspore you'd probably want Battlefury; you can have it one zone further away from combat. If you do take a couple Flameblasts, you'd probably want to cast them from your Mage anyway since Kralathor and the Thornlashers would make short work of the spore.

I'd probably double move on turn 1 to cast Battleforge in FC. Then I'd focus on the tree. You'll want to have a few blocks in your book; against an aggressive first play like that I'd be inclined to summon Galador for defense and you don't want to get stunned.

You could also consider casting a couple of Wardstones early and then using two Circle of Fire enchantments. 12 points to do this, but it'll be quite painful for the Druid. Also it'll use up those coveted dispels early so your 2x Forcefield will last at the end if it goes that long. If you use a lot of enchantments in your book I'd probably go in that direction.

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 04:22:15 AM »
Fire spells are not tailoring. They burn EVERYTHING. There is not a more versatile attack in my opinion. Zombies, non-living, plants, animals, humans, angels...ok not so much demons. Burn her and all she creates!