May 13, 2024, 04:59:06 PM

Author Topic: Where angels dare....  (Read 7149 times)

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Where angels dare....
« on: July 29, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »
Hey Forum  ;D

So Samadriel, Vashalla and Selenius are three bad-ass angels (ok, selenius has the best artwork) and we have guardian angel and grey angel - where are the angel-spellbooks? Is it just a dream because they cost too much?

My vague idea would be a Priest with Selenius and maybe Vashalla, using his holy avenger for guardian angel and lots of asyran defenders and 1-2 clerics to pump Vashalla. Besides this one can use ignite, combustion and his ability for some fun moments (just as mentioned in the Mage Wars Monday Podcast)

So why is no one using angels? They fly, which gives most mages problems, they can be healed pretty easy, they aren't bad at attacking - seems fine to me but i think i missed a point somewhere, forum, go on, upset me  :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:14:06 PM by Cnoedel »
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Where angels dare....
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »
Sure someone will come along to rain on the angel parade soon, but one more positive first: the cheap armour given by crown of protection is particularly good  value with angels, given they already have aegis and flying making it a pain to attack them.

blackirishguilt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ka is a wheel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:15:50 PM »
My buddy plays the Priestess with a lot of angels coming from [mwcard=MW1J23]Temple of Asyra[/mwcard].  I jokingly call it the Air Force deck because he spams Grey Angels like they are going out of style.  Usually can get two of those out, then maybe take a round off and follow up with a fatty like [mwcard=MW1C39]Valshalla, Lightning Angel[/mwcard].  I've been beating him with my Necro shutting down his ability to heal but it is certainly a  viable plan. 

The problem, I think, is that for the cost they don't hit as hard or last as long as other options.  Adding armor helps, but if you can't heal them to keep them around longer they lose a lot of their potency.  [mwcard=MW1J08]Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard] is probably an auto-include in this deck for a spike in offense/armor as needed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:18:37 PM by blackirishguilt »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
Hand of Bim-Shalla always is auto include as Priest*ess!

Aww the time before it was unique - just drop 3-4 of them and kill the enemy mage with temple of light :D

DTHGRPSBWR

my blog.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »
sounds like a great idea to me.  Won my last game with a sort of air force featuring a covering pair of guardian angels.  Liked the idea.  May try it again.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 02:40:59 PM »
So here is my first Priest Spellbook (I have little time right now, will modifiy it later)

Equipment:

1xCrown of Protection
1xRing of Asyra
1xLeather Gloves
1xLeather Boots
1xDawnbreaker Ring
1xElemental Cloak
1xStaff of Asyra

Creatures:

2xAsyran Cleric
3xAsyran Defender
2xGuardian Angel
1xGrey Angel
1xValshalla
1xSelenius
1xSamandriel

Conjurations:

1xEnchanters Wardstone
1xHand of Bim-Shalla
1xTemple of Asyra
1xBattle Forge

Enchantments

2xBlock
2xNullify
2xBrace Yourself
3xPacify
2xHealing Charm
1xArmor Ward
1xDivine Intervention

Incantations:

2xDissolve
2xDispel
1xSeeking Dispel
2xTeleport
2xMinor Heal
2xCombustion
2xPower Strike
1xPerfect strike
1xGroup Heal
1xHeal
1xPurify
1xForce Push
1xDefend
1xDisarm
1xIgnite

Attacks:

2xPillar of Light
1xBlinding Flahs
1xFireball

I tried to have a lot of Air Force mixed up with healing and synergies between the Priests ability to cause burn. Many spells are very situational but needed because opponents may vary.

It should be played with your pumped up mage and one of the main angels to beat down the enemy mage, the combat tricks may help to survive the battles and you should be better in healing yourself than the opponent. Walls aren't a problem because of flying, necroswarm shouldn't be a problem because there are a lot of +X against undead/nonliving, wizard control will be hard as always but since we do not swarm one has a better starting position than the swarm builds  :D

I like the list because it has a controlish vibe (wardstone, armor ward, pacify) same as a beatdown-grizzly-BM part just with an amazing angel. You could even try to distract by putting up the temple with some Clerics and start spamming the Defenders - one book with many possibilities!

All the mandatory spells fit in well (Dispel, Dissolve, Teleport, Force Push, Seeking Dispel) and will get you out of hairy situations
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:01:42 PM by Cnoedel »

DTHGRPSBWR

my blog.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:47:06 PM »
Main problem with this kind of book for me was that unless you have an Angel guarding there is no hindering and as a result swarm decks will focus kill you mage.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »
Guardian Angel with Bear's Strength and Hand of Bim-Shalla is a surprisingly good attacker.

I've been thinking about a Gray Angel agro book, and if swarms are the only problem, I'll just run Obelisk and Orb.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
Guardian Angel with Bear's Strength and Hand of Bim-Shalla is a surprisingly good attacker.

I've been thinking about a Gray Angel agro book, and if swarms are the only problem, I'll just run Obelisk and Orb.
How many Gray Angels? Not many I am guessing as the Orb and Obelisk would hurt you just as much with a swarm of them.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »
With Priestess I'm thinking 2? 10 channeling can endure the tax alright, and with Battle Forge and cheap equip to go with the armor tokens, Priestess can do a lot pretty cheaply.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:47:52 PM »
I did not play the book yet but it seems pretty versatile:

Against Swarm I can have a Guardian Angel and a holy avenger to profit and play pacifies to gain control and empty the enemy manapool. One of the legendary Angels can kill bobcats/zombies/skeletons/goblins with no effort and my mage may have a lot of armor and heal to survive the first waves. Spam Asyran Defenders is also a good defensiv way to protect the mage until he casts the real good guys.

Against Control I focus on my buffed mage and maybe another strong finisher to put pressure. With Teleport/Divine Intervention I am able to get wherever I want to punch in the Mages face!

Druid and Necro seem to be an easy matchup but the wizard will be a nut to break. The Forcemaster will probably win the 1vs1 against the Priest and he can mindcontrol the angel :/

DTHGRPSBWR

my blog.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 11:51:31 PM »
I did not play the book yet but it seems pretty versatile:

Against Swarm I can have a Guardian Angel and a holy avenger to profit and play pacifies to gain control and empty the enemy manapool. One of the legendary Angels can kill bobcats/zombies/skeletons/goblins with no effort and my mage may have a lot of armor and heal to survive the first waves. Spam Asyran Defenders is also a good defensiv way to protect the mage until he casts the real good guys.

Against Control I focus on my buffed mage and maybe another strong finisher to put pressure. With Teleport/Divine Intervention I am able to get wherever I want to punch in the Mages face!

Druid and Necro seem to be an easy matchup but the wizard will be a nut to break. The Forcemaster will probably win the 1vs1 against the Priest and he can mindcontrol the angel :/

Against a Forcemaster, I would have some Enchantment Transfusion with Nullify ready to stop the mind control.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 11:52:44 PM »
Samandriel and Valshalla are expensive enough that you can only play one of them early. I've played with both, and generally Samandriel is better for the Priestess. I've occasionally played the other one later on in the game. Crown of Protection is a great way to up their survivability. I'm looking forward to trying Akiro's Favor and/or Lion's Savagery with them.

They aren't as efficient at dealing damage as Steelclaw Grizzly or Lord of Fire, but they offer the chance to Daze/Stun, which is fantastic for the Priestess. Extending the game tends to work in the Priestess' favor.

I've thought about playing multiple Gray Angels, but I would generally rather play Knights of Westlock for the extra Armor, attack die, and Defense. I would pretty much always rather play Knights of Westlock if it wasn't for that pesky Lightning +2.

Overall a mass angel based build could work, but I tend to think you're better off using a few angels and some other creatures for a creature heavy plan.

I'm not as fond of Selenius because it takes more effort to get her going (you kind of need walls to push things through for her attack to be exciting, and your opponent will tend to move away from them).
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 02:44:36 PM »
One Angel should fit just fine, I picked all because they have different benefits. Samandriel will crush the nonliving/dark creatures where Valshalla may be a better choice against a swarm (guard with Asyran Defender til he dies and Profit)

Selesius...well she just looks awesome and is useful against swarm too (sweeping, push)

Why is everyone talking about Gray Angel? I do not see him as that good, yes he has +1 Attack and Armor but no defense nor aegis, fewer hitpoints and his ability heal ANY living creature (and kills himself within)

Maybe I should add a Bear Strength to make the Guardian stronger! The Enchantment transfusion idea is also great. What would you remove from my list above?

Also with the Dawnbreaker Ring and the Staff of Asyra my mage swings with 5 Dice, Dazing and Burning his godless enemies and I can stack up to 3 armor (Boots, Gloves and Cloak) so he too is not bad

Right now i only fear that he has not enough mana to sustain my plan, Opening will be:

1. (19) -> QC Battleforge (5); Move to NC; QC Ring of Asyra (2) -> 9
2. (18) -> Deployment: Crown of Protection (1); Move to Center; QC Hand of Bim-Shalla (5) -> 13
3. (22) -> Deployment: Leather Gloves (2); FC Legendary Angel (21) -> 0

Well now i am out of Mana but a lot of opportunities open up:

-> Support the Angel with Bim Shalla, Crown of Protection, Healing Charm, Bear Strength

-> Equip the Mage with Staff of Asyra, Dawnbreaker Ring and more armor

-> Prepare for a holy avenger defender :D

Please help me to get this holy crusader with his angelic minions to work :3
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:29:50 PM by Cnoedel »

DTHGRPSBWR

my blog.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 08:26:45 AM »
I would not use a battleforge. The priest don't need a tons of equipment to be effective so you do not get much of the actions saving benefit and you wont get the mana invested back.

Priest only need 2-3 equipments to be offensive and the defensive equipment are only useful to cast if your guardian angels fail at their job. So you should be equiped fully for offensive by the time you have main angel + a guardian out.

1st: Move to NC and cast crown
2nd: Cast Main Angel + Ring
3rd: Cast guardian + use crown
4th: cast staff and bash stuff with it (or hand of bimshalla and bash stuff with fist).