May 14, 2024, 01:07:07 PM

Author Topic: Wizard Control (First Spellbook)  (Read 15100 times)

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Wizard Control (First Spellbook)
« on: September 30, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
Hey folks,

So i was bored and made a Control Wizard Spellbook focused around Wizard's Tower, Mana Siphon, Suppression Orb and Mordok's Obelisk.

For the Tower i ioncluded a toolbox of Flameblast, Fireball, Jetsteam and Lightning Bolt

Now i added more mana draining things like Suppresion Cloak, Staff of the Arcanum, Drain Power (2x), Mana Leech (2x), Enchanters Wardstone (2x) and Essence Drain

As removal i got Steal Enchantment, Seeking Dispel (3x), Dissovle (2X) and Dispel (2x). Bansih (2x) should work out against real bad issues and marker-creatures like Pet/Blood Reaper/Holy Avenger...

Regarding battle and mindtricks i added Decoy (2x), Jinx (2x), Nullify (3x), Teleport (2x), Teleport trap , Block (2x) and Enchantment Transfusion (2x) as well as Dispel Wand (2x)

To gain more mana advantage i grabbed for Mana Crystal (2x) and Arcane Ring and for protection i choose Elemental Cloak

To finish my opponent who might be starving for mana i use Darkfenne Hydra and Gorgon Archer, as well as Screech Harpy (2x) to deal with flyers

My question is: Are Elemetal Wands still useful in Wizard Tower decks? Is Huginn better than Dispel Wand?

I just designed this Spellbook and never played it, i know it has a lack of healing and mana drain deals no visible damage on the board but i imagine playing the named cards right will just frustrate the opponent and reduce each effecient move he did by paying lots and lots of mana to actually DO stuff. Moreover i plan on ruining calculated mana plans per turn. However I never played against the Forcemaster so i guess he might be a problem by being more "solo" than i am

It has to focus on the enemy mage whilst maintaining the enchantments and conjurations.

Now finally due to my lack of experiance - How viable is such kind of Deck (lack of aggro and healing)? What would you add/sort out?
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Control (First Spellbook)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »
I've lost to this sort of book, but to play it you need to be on the lookout for any opportunity to gain tempo, any chance to spend one action that will cost your opponent two.

That usually means playing a wall or a Poison Gas Cloud to slow your opponent, then using a Teleport Trap to slow your opponent again, and happily now they need to deal with the wall again, so they lost 3 actions to your two. Then you spend that action casting Mana Siphon or something.

You're also going to discover that getting outnumbered is bad news unless you can kill at least one creature a turn. Wizard's Tower will help with that, but victory usually goes to whichever Mage "Gets there firstest with the mostest."

Your opponent will likely try to score some cheap breathing room by killing any leaches you cast, so have a plan to protect them, and don't wait for your opponent to concede: you're go into have to plink the other Mage repeatedly whenever the opportunity presents itself, before going for the kill with something big after doing 15 damage or so.

Try it and see!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:34:51 PM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »
As to your specific questions, Elemental Wand is weaker than Wizard's Tower right now because it's a lot easier to destroy, and eats up an extra action the turn you cast it.

Same problem with Hugin: he's fragile.
A lack of healing is probably fine, (though others might disagree), and the most popular books in the competitive scene right now are turtlicious Wizard builds so a lack of agro intent doesn't seem to be holding them back.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:47:56 PM by ringkichard »

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
Wow that was fast! I was already wondering why other players included poison gas cloud because i only looked at the straight forward 2 points of damage, which is not so impressiv....

what about spiked pits? They seem pretty overpriced but stuck is neat!

Okay i will remove elemental wand.... Any way to protect the wizard's tower?

DTHGRPSBWR

my blog.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »
You shouldn't take my word for it! You should try it and see if I'm wrong! I might change my mind tomorrow anyway :-)

Guarding Hydra seems like a fine way to defend a Wizard's Tower, as long as you can keep it free of the Agony curse.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:51:44 PM by ringkichard »

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »
This is a very ambitious concept and you have made a very good first stab at it. Your first spellbook too - you have dived in at the deep end!

I noted somewhere else you have 1 Core + CoK (no FvW) so I will stick to that pool. I don't want to build your first book for you, just to inject ideas and guide you through some book-building logic. So I will bombard you with options that total more than 120 spell points and leave you to distill it down to fit your vision.

You play Mordok's Obelisk [2] and Suppression Orb [4] that deter having too many creatures or moving them. Therefore it is best to stick to a few quality Slow creatures that you don't move: 2x Hydra [8] + 1x Gorgon [4]. Drop the Leeches and Harpies. They are not worth the mana that you will have to pay to keep them and move them. Go stationary quality, not quantity.

Your 2 Hydra will guard you and your Wizard's Tower [2] plus 2 of your best conjurations. Also your toolbox of 4 attack spells is perfect [9].

You'll want to drain opponent's mana pool with as much mana drain cards as possible: 1x Mana Siphon [3], 2x Enchanter's Wardstone [2], 2x Pacify [4], 3x Essence Drain [6], 1x Armour Ward [4], 1x Suppression Cloak [2], 1x Staff of Arcanum [2], 2x Drain Power [6] is all the rest. The more mana drain effects you have in play, the more each one hurts because you are leaving the opponent with less net Channelling.

You've already included quite a few "mana" spells so 1x Arcane Ring [1], 2x Mana Crystal [2], 2x Harmonize [2], 1x Moonglow Medallion [1], 1x Purge Magic [3], Dispels, Seeking Dispels, Nullifies and Enchantment Transfusions all get ring's discount (once per round). How many utility spells? (Dispel. Dissolve, Seeking Dispel, Teleport) As many as you can afford and have (max. 4), Leave that decision towards the end of your book-building. Your conjurations already hurt creatures. It makes sense to stock up on spells that destroy other types of cards.

Your games will need to go long to win so 1x Regrowth Belt [2] has greater value. This means you and all your creatures have Regenerate 2, so you might as well add Idol of Pestilence [4]. 2x Poisonous Gas Cloud [2] are great to deter attacks on conjurations. I'd also consider Renewing Spring [4] to remove conditions on you and your creatures.

What you do with spell points left is your own variant. Why not more Enchanter's Wardstones and stack face down negative enchantments (Ghoul Rot, Magebane, Poisonous Blood, Force Hold) on yourself (Enchanter's Ring) then move them as a free action with Enchantment Transfusion onto enemy mage to reveal them all at once, ideally moving him into a Poisonous Gas Cloud. It ain't original (Shad0w's build uses this trick) but is definitely a good mana drain win condition. If within 2 and your Channelling high (2 Crystals, Medallion, Harmonize), you can always bind a Drain Power to your Mage Wand [2] and hit him every First QC so that he can only cast 1 quick spell every other turn. That is the closest to a "lock" that exists in this game.

You also have Armour Ward (expensive to Dispel with Wardstones) protecting your equipment so it would be a shame to not have more equipment, perhaps gained via a Battle Forge. Especially as your Voltaric Shield works far better with armour. You can only wear 1 Cloak (Suppression) and carry 1 Staff (Arcanum) + 1 versatile Mage Wand, so some items you listed don't cut it (Armour Ward will protect items from needing back-ups). You could add Dragonscale Armour, novice spells Leather Gloves and Boots (latter 2 easily added via a Forge).

But your budget should be bursting by now and you need to keep some points spare for those utility spells. This is where the real skill of book-building happens - the culling of all these spellbook ideas down to 120 points.

I hope this has helped and you have fun playing this challenging strategy. Just make sure you allow plenty of time for you to win the game!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:09:58 PM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 12:36:34 PM »
This is / was my Earth Wizard control project book

What I would says is look for the core concepts with in my build not at the cards you do not have.

My book has about 3-4 lines of play but the majority involve movement control and mana draining. What you want is to be able to change the tempo of the game as needed. If the other player turtles you need to force them out of the corner. If they are hyper aggressive you need to slow them down. When playing any control build your goal is to force the other player into playing the way you want them to not how their book was designed. So with slower books you need to make them rush into a bad position.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 01:23:11 PM »
"So I will bombard you with options that total more than 120 spell points and leave you to distill it down to fit your vision."

Mission accompolished! I am amazed, never thought of stacking wardstones (Cursing Wardlock just popped in my mind but i guess it lacks serious curses :D) - and i guess playing one hydra is really naiv...

@Shad0w: right now i do not own the FvW Exp. so i am not really able to get into the earth-split wizard (although you seem to have a name on the forum and i expect the earth-split to be a reasonable extend to my list...which is simply based on fewer options)

But as both of you are reading this, what are your thoughts on Whirling spirit(s?) to protect conjurations with gasclouds  around (push is considered a move action and will also trigger surpression Orb... but guesses are that the upkeep trait brings too much cost withit)

DTHGRPSBWR

my blog.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
@Cnoedel

Don't worry about the earth attacks what you are look for is options. My biggest issue is that the WS has an upkeep and it seem kind of fragile. Test it out and let us know what you think
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »
I actually think Whirling Spirit is a great idea. You've certainly got the hang of this game quickly!

I like Whirling Spirit in Air Wizard Mana Drain Control because of Poisonous Gas Cloud (to push into) and Mana Siphon (also incorporeal). Almost like they were designed to be played together...

Players pack very few ethereal threats (e.g. my staple Beastmaster book listed below only has Mage Staff and Galador). So if you target and remove/distract ethereal threats, these cards become really strong, so timing is everything. 13 rolls of 1 (requires average 39 dice) easily repays your 12 +1 per round cost. The push is also really good board control (and, as you note, it also synergises with your Orb).

If you place Poisonous Gas Clouds in centre 2 zones (hinders enemy but not your Spirit), it can emerge from the Cloud (no area ethereal attacks) to Wall Bash for 4+3 dice. The only zones safe from Wall Bash are poisonous. Then add Idol of Pestilence, often in a Gas Cloud. Leverage Spirit's Poison Immunity (not Psychic Immune unlike other Nonliving). Synergise your creatures with your global conjurations.

Timing is everything with Mana Denial. If you suspect a swarm (will become popular with the new set), let him over-commit before playing Obelisk then Teleport away and play Orb. It's all about blindsiding. If opponent just sees a Hydra and some other Wizard staples like Ring into Crystals, he has no idea what element you are, let alone your strategy, Let him over-commit then you play your control pieces. In fact, I would not even play Hydra as this deters swarm, play Gorgon (good against quality not quantity) to lure an opponent with swarm capability to build up a swarm. Although that is a pretty risky high-cost play. Perhaps just better to just play 1 of 2 copies of Tower to lure the swarm.

Don't forget to poison Spawnpoints with a Gas Cloud (they arrive inactive so always take 2). Place your Tower range 2 with an intervening Gas Cloud, then Jet Stream his creatures back to Spawnpoint. Gas Cloud also has great synergy with Tanglevine (though I suspect rules may soon be amended so poison also harms living conjurations),

Another option if playing Elemental Wand (with Mage Wand, forget Staff of Arcanum, not a good card, even with other mana drain support, you have Zap) is to leverage your element: add 1 Chain Lightning and 1 Thunderbolt (in the core set, often hidden, stuck to another card). In this case, you add Lightning Ring. In the current Iron Golems meta, this back-to-basics approach would beat anyone playing Golem Pit (see thread below). With Elemental Wand, I'd play 2x Jet Stream for Wand and Tower (with Spirit, you have 3 possible pushes each turn).

Anyway, I hope these random musings help inspire you with your Air Wizard Control build.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:15:07 PM by DeckBuilder »

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
I updated my Spellbook without even playtesting it - here's the result:

Equipment:

Arcane Ring
Dispel Wand
Moonglow Amulet
Suppresion Cloak
Staff of the Arcanum

Conjurations:

Enchanter's Wardstone (3)
Mana Crystal (3)
Wizard's Tower
Poison Gas Cloud (2)
Suppresion Orb
Battle Forge
Mordork's Obelisk
Mana Siphon

Attackspells:

Jet Steam
Surging Wave
Flameblast
Lightning Bolt
Fireball

Incantations:

Seeking Dispel (2)
Force Push
Banish
Drain Power (2)
Dissolve (2)
Dispel (2)
Teleport (2)
Steal Enchantment

Enchantments:

Decoy (2)
Jinx (2)
Block (2)
Teleport Trap (2)
Nullify (2)
Force Hold (2)
Essence Drain (3)
Armor Ward
Enchantment Transfusion

Creatures:

Huginn
Whirling Spirit
Darkfenne Hydra (2)
Gorgon Archer

All Attacks are a toolbox for the Wizards Tower, as well as all Equipments should be played via Battleforge and Huginn may halp out with enchantments leaving enough room for the Wizard to put up all the support Conjurations he needs to suck out his enemies Mana with Essence drain/Armor Ward/Enchanters Wardstone Suppression Cloak/Staff of the Arcanum or maybe Drain Power.

I reduced the amount of creatures and most of them just defend the most precious Conjurations, whirling spirit, force hold, teleport trap and force push synergiese with poison gas cloud to get an advantage.

Last but not least Teleport and Banish should get the mage out of trouble - Dispel, Dissolve, Jinx, Block, Nullify and Decoy may all be found more than once in this deck for miscellaneous situations

What i think i will do: Holding the enemy mage under force in a poison gas cloud while decreasing his manachanneling to 1 and dying infront of the impressiv Wizard's tower (guarded by Hydras! :D)

What reallity might teach me: Help. Heal. Dead Raven, Wizard's Ruins and a rusty battle forge....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:54:29 PM by Cnoedel »

DTHGRPSBWR

my blog.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »
I actually think Whirling Spirit is a great idea. You've certainly got the hang of this game quickly!

I like Whirling Spirit in Air Wizard Mana Drain Control because of Poisonous Gas Cloud (to push into) and Mana Siphon (also incorporeal). Almost like they were designed to be played together...
QFT  :P 8)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 08:04:05 PM »
Curious about having multiple Enchanted Wardstones.

Is there some general rule that states these abilities stack? They are not labeled as +2 Mana per Wardstone. I can see a player making a case that once 2 mana is paid that this simultaneously satisfies the requirement on ALL Wardstones in play.

Are these intended to stack?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »
I posted this question in the rules forum so that everyone might see and answer it/is able to see the answer

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=13118.0

So current state is that the Wardstones do stack, so i better keep 3 of them in my book (not to put them out all at once but to throw out at least two and replace one in case one of the others goes down, same as for the mana crystals)

I made a huge mistake in reading Huginn, he does not cast enchantments (kinda crushed my dreams a bit :D) but nevertheless he overtakes nearly the whole Incantation section (out of Drain Power, Banish and steal enchantment)

The first 2 steps i would focus on increasing my options AND mana (manacrystal being the worst choice!). I really think this is what puts this book ahead of the others because those familiars/spawnpoints will ensure more cards (battleforge+ring/, Huginn/seeking dispel, Wizard's Tower/all Attackspells) each round Pump out:

- Battleforge -> Equipment, always near center - the mage needs to be targeted
- Wizard's Tower -> Attacks, alway near center - to shoot whatever comes up
- Huginn -> Incantations, wherever he is needed - mobile seeking dispel or force push (even dispel and dissolve should be cast by him so that no mana stacks on him. He is a very squishy yet helpful fellow :D)

So your mage can put up the more core elements of this book like Mana syphon or the Obelisk, dividing the opponents attention to the mage and the bait (mostly syphon or Tower, maybe battleforge or huginn).
He has to get offensive because otherwise your conjurations swarm the board and mana advantage will be on your side!
Whatever he picks on, build up defenses with hydra or poison clouds minimazing his chance of success and try to force him into a timewaste of a battle.

With the enchantments i aim for two things: battletricks with block, nullify, jinx and decoy (all of them are pretty generic and will come up in every game) - the main part are the 3 Essence drain, which deep out the manadenial strategy and teleport trap to recycle poison gas cloud ;D If the opponent gets mad at the essence drain, put out a wardstone so he denies his mana whatever he does, protect your equipment with armor ward, drive him nuts!

Time will come for final attacks, Drain Power, Force hold in a poison gas cloud (this should be used only if you are in a real mana advantage) and blast the opponents head off with fireballs out of your tower :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:02:11 AM by Cnoedel »

DTHGRPSBWR

my blog.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »
Cnoedel - so how did your build work in practice?

It's a very good stab as your first spell book for a very challenging archetype. But there were areas where it could be improved, specifically

(a) too few equipment to make use of your Battle Forge
(b) too many zone exclusive conjurations to feasibly protect
(c) too few persistent enchantments (too many mandatory)
(d) too few incantations as your game will go long

Your build concept seems to be: stack Enchanter's Wardstones, Armour Ward, other mana drain effects. Your game plan is a long game. You slowly starve the opponent by turning the screw on his mana generation. Over time, you quickly overlap opponent to "take control". But this all takes time. You need to build a book that plays the long game. This means being able to cast more of those same key spells than your opponent. And being able to lull opponent into retaining his Big Threat with Essence Drain and Pacify attacking you with Suppression Cloak and Obelisk, costing him 7 mana a turn. You will trade early life loss for control, waiting for his threat generation to slow down to an easily managed trickle. But this initial defensiveness also means you need to regenerate some of that lost life later else you risk dying to his burst damage spells. So stacking many simultaneous mana drain effects as well as slow passive healing is good for this strategy.

Equipment:
Voltaric Shield works better with armour and you will find yourself 2 mana spare for boots or gloves
Staff of Arcanum is just not worth it for its cost and benefit and you are better off with a Mage Wand
Mage Wand (protected by Armour Ward and other mana drain) can re-use your precious incantations
2 Mage Wands is insurance, also you swap spell in it as a free action with Battle Forge for 2 extra mana
Dispel Wand is only range 1 and level 1 enchants and only gets the metamagic discount when first cast
As an Air Wizard, you would be better off with an Elemental Wand with Jet Stream (great board control)
Regeneration best in long games and your games go long (Belt better with Armour Ward to Regrowth)

Conjurations:
Conjurations will probably be Battle Forge (Arcane Ring) > Crystals > Siphon > Orb > Obelisk > Wardstones
Even though you have 9 zone exclusives, you are expecting some of them being destroyed to fit Wardstones
Only once your Wardstones are out do you execute the Transfusion trick of negative enchantments on mage

Creatures
Huginn can be amazing but is always very risky. If you do play him, he needs Bull Endurance and Regrowth
The problem with Huginn is he uses up precious Incantations unlike a Mage Wand so is not for a long game
Huginn is for when you need more spell actions to pull off a combo or escape a combo (see Golem Pit thread)
You do not need him (Transfusion is your action burst); Huginn is also anti-synergetic with Obelisk and Orb

Win Condition
If you are basing your build on Wardstones, then your win condition is Transfusion of Curses and Force Hold.
You stack these (Enchanter's Ring) on the very resilient Hydra, leaving Nullify and Transfusion itself until last.
Then Teleport the enemy mage to your Gas Cloud (maybe 2 of them in 1 zone) and Transfuse them all to him.
This will be after you have set up the Wardstones, so that even Seeking Dispel whilst hidden costs too much.
Force Hold + Ghoul Rot + Magebind + Poisonous Blood + Jinx + Nullify are Transfused, 2-3 Wardstones in play.

Threat Mana Drain
Most books don't have more than 2 premium resilient creatures to cast Essence Drain + Pacify on them.
Add your Suppression Cloak and an Obelisk and you are daring the opponent to maintain the creature.
These mana drain spells are not great unless you go "all in" with this strategy; even then it is very risky.
You will try to trade early life loss (Shield + armour is your friend) for control by forcing opponent's hand.
You need Pacify + Essence Drain against main Big Few strategy; Obelisk + Cloak + Orb hits swarm more.

Utility Spells
You have a daringly low number of utility spells but rely on your 2 Wands and Armour Ward for long games.
Take all 3 Teleports in Core! Your Jet Stream in your Wand and Tower plus Whirling Spirit can give 3 pushes,
Depending on your meta, I would feel naked without a Purge Magic but I appreciate this is not rated by all.

Toolbox Incantations
Wand can bind these to "lock" opponent (Drain Power), Sleep threats, Heal yourself and/or Purify conditions
As you are not playing idol of Pestilence, playing Sleep Wand against a Few Big strategy is cliche but strong.
Playing 2 Mage Wands, the versatility an incantations toolbox gives you is great (Banish is for aggro tempo).

Toolbox Attacks
I stuck to range 2 attacks only, Surging Wave for its unavoidable + Slam Intercept guard/defences removal.
Elemental Wand hosts your 2nd Jet Stream as this is great board control, especially with Hydra, Gas Clouds.
If your Tower gets destroyed, the remaining spells are still not wasted as you can always switch Wand bind.

So, I'm going to give a VERY ROUGH draft of how I would slightly amend your build. As you can see, there are only about 10-15 cards different from the list that you gave. It is essentially your build but with a few tweaks. This is untested (I don't know your meta) and I am sure you have your own better ideas. I encourage you to always experiment and individualise it to suit your play style and local meta.

This build demonstrates being consistent to your core mana drain concept: lots of equipment (Armour Ward), lots of enchantments (Wardstones), fewer large creatures (Orb, Obelisk), toolbox incantations (Wand), toolbox attacks (Tower).

Air Wizard Mana Drain (1 Core + CoK only)
Build assumes opponent has same pool (no Fog for Hammer, no unmovable psychic immune Golems etc).

Target Self
1 Arcane Ring (1)
1 Enchanter's Ring (1)
1 Harmonize (1)
1 Armour Ward (4)
1 Suppression Cloak (2)
1 Dragonscale Hauberk (2)
1 Leather Gloves (1)
1 Leather Boots (1)
2 Mage Wand (4)
1 Elemental Wand (2)
1 Regrowth Belt (2)

Zone Exclusives
1 Battle Forge (4)
2 Mana Crystal (2)
1 Mana Siphon (3)
1 Suppression Orb (4)
1 Mordok's Obelisk (2)
3 Enchanter's Wardstone (3)

Guards & Board Control
2 Poison Gas Cloud (4)
2 Darkfenne Hydra [8]
1 Wizard's Tower (2)
1 Gorgon Archer (4)
1 Whirling Spirit (4)

Hydra Transfusion
1 Force Hold (4)
1 Ghoul Rot (4)
1 Magebane (2)
1 Poisoned Blood (2)
1 Jinx (1)
1 Nullify (1)
2 Enchantment Transfusion (2)

Threat Mana Drain
2 Essence Drain (4)
2 Pacify (4)

Utility Incantations
2 Dispel (2)
2 Dissolve (4)
2 Seeking Dispel (2)
3 Teleport (6)

Toolbox Incantations
1 Drain Power (3)
1 Minor Heal (2)
1 Purify (2)
1 Sleep (4)

Toolbox Attacks
2 Jet Stream (2)
1 Surging Wave (2)
1 Lightning Bolt (2)
1 Fireball (4)

If you need further advice, you could refer to an earlier Strategy thread "Mana Denial: Viable Strategy?" which discusses this (to an earlier card pool meta) or an excellent Strategy article by The Dude: "Starving your Opponent",

This strategy needs the missing promo card Epic conjuration yet to be released (Altar of Peace: each creature attack costs 1). Then this and lots of other more cerebral builds (like Solo Forcemaster) will suddenly become more viable. I suspect the designers are hesitating releasing it as this strategy could become overpowered with too many Conjuration Threats. Also, this strategy of slowly "turning the screw" like Land Destruction in Magic (a denial strategy that is dull for opponents), playing the game more like Chess (main random element is d12 push effects), it's not for a large segment of the fan base. The game is currently doing a very good job satisfying two different gaming segments (broadly Aggro and Control) and Altar of Peace may well destroy that balance.

Good luck with your experiences. It is a deceptively deep and sophisticated game, wrapped in the clothes of an American flavour game. Yes, there is luck in it (mainly the d12) but the choosing mechanic and alternating turns makes it more like Chess than any other game. I'm sort of jealous that you get to experience that early steep learning curve, the joys of discovery that can never be re-experienced.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:35:19 AM by DeckBuilder »