May 10, 2024, 01:29:42 AM

Author Topic: Necromancer Collectors Set  (Read 9034 times)

aridigas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer Collectors Set
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »
One major thing to remember is that most mage wars players here in Europe play the English version, so that is no problem release vise. It is only none-fan players in Germany, France and somewhat Spain who are lazy and can't (or don't have the skill, which I doubt) play with English cards. So if those versions have different release schedule than the English one I will just welcome it. I'm not a fan of having resources taken form new developments in favour of translation cost and time.

You'd have to import the english versions to play with them. I personally don't know about someone selling english Mage Wars sets in Germany. At least not in big stocks.

Personally I'd rather play with german cards though. They have the same language as my other german cards and (that's the main part) are allowed at german tournaments. Most major events I know about and most local groups I've been to only allow cards that have been released in a german set already. So if you want to attend tournaments or organized plays you're restricted to those cards. I could imagine this is a major point when you decide to buy an english set or not.

Don't think it's fair to say that people who don't buy english sets are lazy or not fans. There are a couple of reasons to wait for releases i your own language.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
*closing his wallet with a relief*

Dont do this ever again please :)

I'm with Boocheck on this. I was fully prepared to back your Kickstarter! ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 02:27:28 AM »
I don't know if it's true, but I heard from a German Mage wars player (think it was aridigas) that the German distributor is trying to keep a drastically slower release schedule
I don't believe that's true.
Imho, Pegasus Spiele is taking their time for two (or three) reasons:
1) to keep costs down, they wait to send cards to the printers until they can combine the order with others.
2) translating Mage Wars cards into German is tricky. You need someone who's very knowledgable in the game _and_ with good language skills. You must take care that any and all keywords are translated consistently. And I bet there's a lot of correspondence between them and Arcane Wonders to make sure they interpret cards and rules correctly.
3) partly as a consequence of 1) & 2), Pegasus Spiele makes good use of the delay by incorporating errata. This may paradoxically result in correct cards being released earlier than their English equivalent. Sometimes there are additional benefits, e.g. German expansions were already released using the improved packaging that Arcane Wonders came up with Forged in Fire, IIRC.

I'd further like to stress why I prefer the German version:
- It's half the price of the English version (most likely due to the costs to import it).
- I can play it with everyone here, not just with players who are fluent in English - and make no mistake, you need a pretty good grasp of English to understand the often long and rather complicated card texts correctly.