May 12, 2024, 04:13:23 PM

Author Topic: Slow gaining Fast  (Read 6341 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
Re: Slow gaining Fast
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 06:51:40 AM »
There are already creatures with bloodthirsty 0. Zombie crawler at least. So yes after calculations something could end up with bloodthirsty 0.
but bloodthirsty 0 has an effect (mandatory attack).

I think we have here two understandings of the situation (2slow+1fast = 1slow  OR  2slow+1fast = nothing) that both can be defended by the rules... I think we need to know from AW what is their intention.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 06:52:19 AM »
In a lot of ways, this set of rules reminds me of a recurent semi-philosophical rules question. "If you must pay X mana for an effect, and X is calculated to be 0, did you make a mana payment?"

I didn't have an opinion on that question until now, but in light of this, I'm now leaning towards "no."

I would say that you haven't made a mana payment, but you have paid the upkeep...

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 06:57:11 AM »
Also, this has been a frequent question on the rules board. E.g. http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=10439.0 in which Shad0w (who had the official power to make rulings) treats Darth's speedy affirmative  answer as completely non-controversial.

Well done on finding that ruling - I searched in thread titles, but obviously missed it under "A couple of questions..."

You are right it appears to have been definitively ruled the other way back then, with no-one crying foul. It's possible (probable actually) that I read this in the dim and distant past, which is what cemented my view on it (which I didn't believe was contentious until the last day or so...).

Now to be fair, the historical ruling *could* be wrong, especially as the mechanics under the hood of MW are much better thought out and understood now, than 3.5 years ago... but it is persuasive at least.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 07:35:05 AM »
I think the fast and slow traits are best understood in terms of the maximum number of quick actions that the creature can take during its action phase. A slow creature can take one, a fast creature can take three, and all other creatures can take two at most. However, each creature can only take one non-move quick action as part of its action phase. So the fast creature that can only use one non-move quick action therefore has up to two move actions in addition to its non-move quick action.

A regular creature can take at most one non-move quick action, so it has 1 move action in addition to its non-move, unless it decides to use two move actions instead in such case it gets 0 non-moves.

And a slow creature has 0 move actions in addition to its non-move. It can choose to use its action to move instead of doing a non-move though. It can either do one or the other, not both.

So aside from the rules governing how many of a creature's quick actions can be moved and how many non-moves, the fast and slow traits basically boil down to quick action +1 and quick action -1. You could imagine a hypothetical "super fast" creature that could take three move actions and then a quick action. (Quick action +2). However because of the limited size of the arena this might break the game. Then again, I think there is a way to balance such a trait. Simply say "if this creature takes three move actions, then it can only use its remaining quick action for X." X could be a number of different things, depending on the creature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.