May 03, 2024, 02:19:58 PM

Author Topic: Flying creature losing flying upon entering zone with effects to non-flyers  (Read 10692 times)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
A Falcon that gets pushed into a zone with a shalow sea, bed of urchins and an leviatan, doesn't get hit by the bed of urchins. Correct?

All is answered in post 2 made by Zuberi.

Miroque

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Flying creature losing flying upon entering zone with effects to non-flyers
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 04:09:23 PM »
I think this is a question that belongs here thematically: Are Flying creatures like falcons affected by the negative effect of "Shallow Sea"?

"Non-Flying, non-aquatic creatures in this zone are hindered and roll one less die when making a non-spell attack."

It is clear that they don't get hindered, but if a Flying creature makes a melee attack against a non-Flying creature, it must lose the Flying trait until the end of that attack action (Rulebook page 15) - so they also would roll one less die...?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
If they are attacking a nonflying creature, then yes. They roll one less die for exactly the reason you mentioned. Shallow sea is a really good terrain and a big reason why the Siren has such low health. People see her as very fragile, and she is without her terrain. But she basically gains aegis 1 and regenerate 1 just by standing in the water.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
A sticker for Zuberi on a clear answer! Good sleuthing everyone else, you were definitely on the right way of thinking.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Yes, teleporting to the same zone does count as entering the zone. Thematically, would there really be much difference from teleporting into the zone from a different area? In both cases, you kind of just disappear and reappear.

Thematically is a treacherous footing IMO, because of the Entering Play <> Entering the Zone ruling. Thematically what's the difference in Teleporting into a zone vs stepping through a Gate to Voltari?

The ruling is absolutely right for play balance, but is precarious when you try and use theme to explain things.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Yes, teleporting to the same zone does count as entering the zone. Thematically, would there really be much difference from teleporting into the zone from a different area? In both cases, you kind of just disappear and reappear.

Thematically is a treacherous footing IMO, because of the Entering Play <> Entering the Zone ruling. Thematically what's the difference in Teleporting into a zone vs stepping through a Gate to Voltari?

The ruling is absolutely right for play balance, but is precarious when you try and use theme to explain things.
The answer to your question is in the world and lore section.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16022.0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
The answer to your question is in the world and lore section.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=16022.0

There was no question, because I don't care about the answer. Theme is a pointless non-entity to me.

But you can handwave some fluff to explain anything at all.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
I agree that theme is just handwaving fluff to make people feel more comfortable with the rules. I do like to use it though to get rulings to stick in people's heads when possible, but you are right that sometimes it causes more problems than it does benefit.

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Slam would cause the Falcon to lose Flying, won't it?

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Slam would cause the Falcon to lose Flying, won't it?
Yes!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Slam is a really misunderstood and underrated condition I feel.

New players always miss that it's removed at the start of an action, and think they have found a cheap stun, and then get disappointed when they realise it doesn't work that way, and discard it. Slam is such a useful condition in the right circumstance though (especially nullifying Defences and Flying for a round). The Slam condition is the whole reason I have Surging Wave in almost every book!