May 12, 2024, 10:25:57 AM

Author Topic: Rosa Parks  (Read 11746 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
Rosa Parks
« on: November 18, 2013, 01:34:26 AM »
Ring of Beasts   equipment   1   1
 Battle Forge   conjuration   1   5
 Harmonize   enchantment   1   2
 Dancing Scimitar   equipment   1   4
 Hunting Bow   equipment   2   3
 Dragonscale Hauberk   equipment   1   3
 Elemental Cloak   equipment   1   2
 Leather Boots   equipment   1   1
 Leather Gloves   equipment   1   1
 Moonglow Amulet   equipment   1   2
 Regrowth Belt   equipment   1   1
 Hawkeye   enchantment   2   1
 Tanglevine   conjuration   2   1
 Mana Flower   conjuration   2   1
 Dire Wolf   creature   2   3
 Steelclaw Grizzly   creature   2   4
 Timber Wolf   creature   2   2
 Rouse the Beast   incantation   2   1
 Cheetah Speed   enchantment   1   1
 Bear Strength   enchantment   1   1
 Eagle Wings   enchantment   1   2
 Falcon Precision   enchantment   2   1
 Rhino Hide   enchantment   2   1
 Jinx   enchantment   2   2
 Nullify   enchantment   2   2
 Chain Lightning   attack   1   6
 Hurl Boulder   attack   2   4
 Teleport   incantation   1   4
 Spiked Pit   enchantment   2   4
 Force Push   incantation   2   2
 Wall of Thorns   conjuration   1   1
 Knockdown   incantation   1   2
 Dispel   incantation   3   2
 Dissolve   incantation   2   2
 Defense Ring   equipment   1   2
 Cobra Reflexes   enchantment   2   2
 Enchanter's Ring   equipment   1   1

Alright, so I'm testing a new book out, what do you all think? It's mainly a ranged creature beater that relies on a buffed Forge for equip advantage, focusing on mana generation followed by larger creature strikes. The main opening goes like:

Run to near center, cast battle forge and harmonize behind you, bringing you to 7 mana. The next round you are casting amulet off of forge followed by double mana flower to bring you all the way down to 2 mana. Next turn, cast ring of beasts off of forge, and then start an onslaught of roused creatures. I would start with a timber wolf for 8. Next round you are at 16 casting enchanter's ring on yourself. Rousing a second timber here isn't bad for 10 mana total. Now I would use few rounds to cast small things on yourself, making sure you at least cast a hawkeye FD on yourself. Depending on how the game goes, you may want to buff your wolves, which you can do at your discretion.

A small note on the construction in this book. It was built with a defensive mindset. Instead of going balls out, I'm not afraid aggro which has worked for me in the past, I wanted to try something a little more gutsy. This is what happened. Cards like the Dancing Sword and Defense Ring are in their because the best way an opponent likes to deal with the hunting bow is getting out of range and then sending creatures in to harm me. Defenses prevent that. A great oh shit button to hit is Chain lightning. It does eat a lot of points and mana, but it really is worth buying a round or two, as the way this book handles, it really can add up the damage. The main damage pieces though are Grizzly and Bow, so use them to your advantage, and try not to use the bow until after you have attacked.

On a side note, I may try this book out with a fellela engine...

• Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Rosa Parks
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »

Run to near center, cast battle forge and harmonize behind you, bringing you to 7 mana. The next round you are casting amulet off of forge followed by double mana flower to bring you all the way down to 2 mana. Next turn, cast ring of beasts off of forge, and then start an onslaught of roused creatures.

Nice book, but I worry that with all that set up, you might be getting smashed in the face before you can react??

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »
You didn't list the mage. Based on the spellbook I'm assuming this is the Johktari Beastmaster.

Also, Rosa Parks sounds more like a Westlockern name to me than a Johktarian one. You probably should pick something more African-tribal sounding. Although I know nothing about Nigerian culture, how advanced they are or whether they're tribal or not, I found a cool female Nigerian name that you could use for this spellbook instead: "Achi". It means "strength".

The spellbook looks pretty cool and fun to play against!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:50:09 PM »
I am assuming you a playing a Johktari Beastmaster, as you mention doing a double move and double cast on turn 1 indicating you have the Fast trait.

I agree with Fentum on the setup. How do you intend to deal with an Aggressive Opponent? Your double move at the beginning makes it easier for them to get to you quickly and start pounding on you sooner, so you're actually reducing the time you have to setup your engine rather than maximizing it. An Adramalech + Warlock tag team can be in your zone attacking after round 2.

I would stick with Enchanter's Ring and Ring of Beast and forget about Defense Ring. It only affects the roll 8% of the time and is not very impressive to me.

Assuming you are getting Druid vs Necromancer:
If your plan is to usually spend your full action summoning a creature and then throwing them at the opponent, might I suggest Lair + Meditation Amulet instead of your current build up. In a single round for the cost of 19 Mana you have increased your mana generation by +5. Compare this to your current strategy which takes 2 rounds to build up, costs 28 mana (for Battle Forge, Harmonize, 2 Mana Crystals, and Moonglow Amulet) to get the same +5 mana generation.

You could actually use this strategy very aggressively if you chose to. Round 1: Sprint to near center, cast Lair in far center, cast Meditation Amulet. Round 2: if your opponent moved any, you could deploy a Timber Wolf, quick cast Rouse the Beast, and attack your opponent immediately. If your opponent had not moved, you could deploy a Fast creature instead and still attack immediately. Then just keep up the pressure with a constant stream of animals.

Meanwhile, if you decide to go with a more Defensive Mindset as originally intended, you just keep the Lair closer to home where it is less vulnerable. Then on round 2 you do a little extra development instead of Rousing the Beast right away. You could deploy a Timber Wolf, then meditate, then cast a Mana Flower. Alternatively, you could deploy a level 1 animal (any of your choice), then meditate, and cast that Battle Forge you wanted.

Hopefully I haven't overstepped my bounds with tweaking your build. It just occurred to me that with the Meditation Amulet and Lair you could do essentially the same strategy with less action/mana investment.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
ok.....really? Is noone going to say anything?!?

We all know what I am talking about!

This build is deserves to go to the back of the box.

IDK what Im talking about anymore......nice build Dude, and nice of ya to put it out there.

(Also- moves fast, and quick....and you call it Rosa Parks. Im going to start calling my Iron Golem Rosa parks...

Im not going to post the very first second I wake up again....)
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
Yeah I've been rocking the Amulet Lair combo for a while now, it's actually one of my competitive books. What I wanted to do with this book was more of an attrition thing. I love lair, and I love it a lot, but I wanted to see what my Johktari looked without it.

*shoves cards back in box and stomps away*

The Rosa Parks is more because she is a black woman that don't take nothin from no white man more than anything. And conisdering every other mage in the game is white (The Warlord loves mayo and Full House), I thought I'd give her an edgy title.
Always carry a towel...

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 01:15:59 AM »
The Rosa Parks is more because she is a black woman that don't take nothin from no white man more than anything. And conisdering every other mage in the game is white (The Warlord loves mayo and Full House), I thought I'd give her an edgy title.

I think we just need some more racially diverse mages. I always find it really silly when almost everyone in a fantasy setting is either white or obviously non-human.  :(

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 01:58:16 AM »
We currently have 5 Humans, 2 High Elves, 2 Wood Elves, and 1 Orc. The first race is obviously predominant, but I believe having 4 races to choose from provides a nice bit of diversity.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 02:59:42 AM »
We currently have 5 Humans, 2 High Elves, 2 Wood Elves, and 1 Orc. The first race is obviously predominant, but I believe having 4 races to choose from provides a nice bit of diversity.

*Facepalm.* Did you really miss the context there?

We'll have 10 mages after DvN is released. 8 are white (Priestess, Priest, Straywood Beastmaster, Wizard, Forcemaster, Druid, Necromancer, Warlock), 1 is obviously non-human (Warlord), and 1 is black (Johktari Beastmaster).

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 04:10:00 AM »
You seem to be stuck up on skin color, which seems to me to be a very narrow definition of race. Even in the real world, race is determined by a lot more than the color of one's skin. I don't believe you should lump together 8 of the mages just because their skin color matches. They are obviously different races within the world of Etheria. I will concede that the Johktari Beastmaster may be a distinct race of humans, or at least a subrace, but that then gives us more races to choose from! Hurray for diversity!

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 12:15:05 PM »

Oh dear. Can we discuss the build?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
Stay on topic please.

:-X
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »
The only topic here is that Rosa Parks is a civil rights hero. Are you denying this?

No wonder you love the Wizard. That's all I'm sayin.

c;
Always carry a towel...

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 02:34:53 AM »
What do you mean when you say "attrition" is your strategy?  To me, this means you want to trade your stuff for their stuff, and come out ahead.  You can do this either by having more efficient stuff, more synergistic stuff, or a better stuff economy.  To me Meditation Amulet and Lair are two of the best ways of generating stuff economy.  If you can protect them from an early attack and trade off critters, you seem like you'll get ahead in the long game?
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 05:29:59 AM »
I'd harmonize a mana flower instead of the battle forge. Once you run out of equipment to cast the harmonized forge won't produce anything for you, but the mana flower will give you usable mana every turn. Also, if you cast one mana flower and a creature on turn 2 you'll get just as many attacks as if you start summoning on turn 3 and cast a rouse every turn, but you'll come out ahead on mana.