May 13, 2024, 04:10:37 AM

Author Topic: Eric Draven the Undead Fire Wizard.  (Read 8624 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
Eric Draven the Undead Fire Wizard.
« on: June 09, 2013, 05:01:09 AM »
So, The Crow has to be one of my favorite watches of this year. I know, I'm two decades later, but at least I got to see it now c: Watching the movie, I kept thinking about one card... Huginn. And the thought of building a deck around her seemed like an amazing prospect.

If any of you have seen the movie, you will know that the Crow kind of acts like Draven's eyes and ears, which is what this build is, well, built to do. This is a fresh idea with cards just thrown together, but I want to keep this as thematic as possible, so any help is greatly appreciated!

1 Nercopian Vampiress: this card will not see play until later on in the game, but she stands for Eric's fiance, who comes back from the dead the very end of the movie to "reunite" with him. Well, in Mage Wars, we are reuniting a little earlier. For VENGANCE. And better spelling lessons. But mostly VENGANCE.

1 Gorgon Archer: This was the closest I could get to the black cop in the movie, as she supports with shots. It was either that, or Stonegaze basilisk, which cripples, or freezes the opponents, which is what Albrecht is supposed to say to Draven halfway when they first meet.

1 Huginn: This is the crow. Keep her around two zones away from you at all times. Enough to support her, but far enough to see just what the opponent is up to!

1 Wall of Fire: Draven seems to enjoy fire in The Crow, as well as being support, this is the "flames" of his VENGANCE.

1 Battle Forge: This is the Pawn shop he blew up near the beginning. He stole basically his "equipment" for the rest of the movie, including a ring, so I figured this would be a perfect fit. Note that loving BF has NOTHING to do with this addition or it's abstract explanation into theme. NONE.

2 Mana Crystal: Hey, the undead need power, too.

1 Mage Staff: As there are no guitars in the game, this was a good replacement, allowing me to deal with flyers AND rock out (kind of).

1 Mage Wand: For spamming vampiric strike. Why? Because as we can't just press "auto heal" like Draven does, we want to kick ass WHILE taking names AND healing. That's why.

1 Elemental Wand: This is the "lighter" ignition that he takes from T-bird to blow him to hell and high water.

1 Elemental Cloak: Leather Jackets are needed. This will do.

1 Moonglow amulet: Man, you don't even understand how much power it takes to make the undead live. Don't even.

1 Leather Boots: You notice those LEATHER goth boots he wears? These are those, and those are these.

1 Gauntlets of Strength: Draven is a pretty strong guy. Our wizard is not:/ This helps fix that.

1 Enchanter's Ring & 1 Fireshaper Ring: These represent the engagement ring Draven gave to Shelly. In the beginning of the movie, it's meant to kind build the character while fueling the fire. Enchant ring does that nicely. Near the end of the movie, he gives this ring to a little girl, and said girl promptly gets kidnapped. The Fireshaper's Ring represents that love he has for the girl, and gives him just enough power to kick a lot more ass and take a few more names. Of course they are at the same time.

1 Purify: Draven has the power to "heal" people of poisons, as seen in the little girl's complete turn around from an addiction to morphine. Purify takes the poisons away.

1 Sniper shot: When he kills Tin-Tin, the first victim, he wins when he throws a knife at Tin-tin that pins him to a wall, a perfect shot. I wanted to mimic this moment.

2 Drain Power: These will let you get on the upper hand. Thematically, they are when he "Throws" thirty hours of pain at once onto Top Dollar.

3 Force Push: Position control, so that you may "sneak up" on the opponents. Draven did this a LOT.

1 Steal Enchantment: Nothing is better than using the opponent against himself, and Draven does this throughout the movie.

1 Purge Magic: Draven effectively turns off everyone's offense because of his "I'm dead wait no i'm not i'll kill you dude" approach. Incredibly sophisticated, I know.

2 Dispel: See above.

2 Explode: He blows up the shop by shooting rings out of a shot gun. Exploding them out, one could even say.

2 Vampiric Strike: A thematic way to heal c:

2 Seeking Dispel: huginn does have a second ability!

1 Dissolve: Cheaper than explode, and you see dispel above ^.^

2 Hellfire Trap: The pawnshop owner has to jump out of his store in order to stop it from killing him. Welcome to Hellfire trap. Or don't come in, on second thought. Unless you dig the whole "dying" thing.

1 Circle of fire: Swarm control, and is what gives the wizard the Aura of VENGANCE that Draven creates for himself.

1 Jinx: Don't attack me, it won't do anything!

1 Regrowth: A slightly more thematic approach to healing Draven style, but slower.

2 Block: these are here to show just how invincible Draven is. Also, getting slammed for damage is never fun.

1 Vampirism: See thematic Healing.

1 Agony: 30 hours of pain in a single second. 30 hours. That's Agony, if I may.

1 Hawkeye: Draven doesn't really miss, like, ever.

2 Nullify: Stop what you are doing, now.

1 Reverse: Did I stutter? I don't think so. SMACK.

1 Mongoose Agility: Draven is so sneaky. Too sneaky...

1 Ghoul Rot: Here, go be dead over there, and tell me how fun it is. -Eric (on being undead).

1 Decoy: LOOK OVER THERE A DISTRACTION! This card should be called "Neck". Draven does this so much during the movie it's not funny. No really, it's a very serious movie.

3 Flameblast, 3 Fireball, 1 Firestorm, 1 Ring of Fire: This is that spectacular explosion of car Near the end of the movie that results in the ultimate VENGANCE for Draven, and had to be included in spades in here. Also, kill the mage. But that's so 5 threads ago guys, which, on this forum, is about 3 months. Jk c:

So, what do you guys think? Thematic or not? And, less importantly, winning or not?

• Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Draven the Undead Fire Wizard.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 06:43:36 AM »
Is this build more about being thematic or winning? Or is it about both?

On a related note, I am crossing my fingers for a future mage that is trained in both Arcane/Mind and Dark. I'm the type of guy who played Blue Black control in MTG, so I feel like that mage would suit me perfectly.
"See you space cowboy..."

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »
not Draven, DRAAAAAAAAAAAVEN
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
It's about both, but more about having fun as THE CROW.
Always carry a towel...

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »
I love theme builds but as I haven't seen the movie I cant comment on the suitableness of anything really.

also I think a mage trained in arcane, dark and mind might be a bit much.....  they would have to have some serious restrictions.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:59:10 AM »
Even in so much as having a significantly reduced life total, or cutting the point count down to 100 could make it work. Agreed, dark and mind would give him access to some of the hardest swinging spells, which is why I would also not only triple holy, but nature as well (as he is kind of undead).
Always carry a towel...

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 01:30:50 AM »
he would have no use for nature spells anyway because most of his creatures would be non living and such eliminating 90% of the nature pool. if he can't use the schools spells then the x3 is useless.

my idea for a restriction would be 3x for living creatures (including dark and mind) so he could still add iron golem and all incouporeal creatures for only x2. since all nature and holy spells effect living creatures this is a more effective way to restrict the book.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 01:44:16 AM »
Tripling living could be an idea, or even the mage itself being nonliving, so as to include a *small* suite of speciallized non-living enchants. What about being trained in dark and mind, but being a specifically *dark* mage? That way the more powerful mind mage only spells aren't useful, but he does have access to a varied positional suite.
Always carry a towel...

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 02:51:20 AM »
I imagine undead mage should have an enchantment that is force to reveal when the creature dies you now control an non living version of that creature. with upkeep of 2. if this enchantment is dispelled after it is resolved the creature is discarded as it normally would have died

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 02:29:27 AM »
Upkeep would have to be raised to four or else it would be incredibly broken, as well as having a 4-5 spell point cost.
Always carry a towel...

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 03:19:43 AM »
I think upkeep At 2 ans spell book lvl 2. the mana to activate the enchantment is the mana to summon the creature -2. remember having 4 of these (the max of a lvl2 card) would drain 8 mana from your supply. and anybody who vs the undead mage would dispel any hidden enchantment on one of there creatures.