May 13, 2024, 12:05:39 PM

Author Topic: Frank Lucas [an aggro Priestess attempt]  (Read 17997 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
Frank Lucas [an aggro Priestess attempt]
« on: June 01, 2013, 05:32:02 AM »
Okay, so I lied. It's pseudo aggro, but still! This is an entire deck based around the oh so naughty Intervention/Vampiress combo that has inspired hate into all of our hearts. But, I do feel it is the opening line that will win the priestess the most games, Especially if she helps in the destruction! Why do I call this Build Frank Lucas? Because this deck aims to be a ruthless attack. That's it. Kill the enemy. Or die trying.

So, here is the build!

1 Staff of Asyra- This is what the Priestess will be attacking with as soon as those hands drop. It's an incredibly broken card to add to our incredibly broken list of things for the Priestess to do.
1 Leather Gloves- These Handy dandy things are what we call "cheap protection", and that's all we could really ask for.
1 Elemental Cloak- because it's always good to preemptively build for the other menace, that devil welding warlock.
1 Dawnbreaker Ring- This combos with just about everything we want the Priestess to be doing, AND it's 3 mana.
1 Dancing Scimitar- because S will hit the F, and free attacks are the best. The best.
1 Leather Boots- Oh man, these will look so stylish with our gloves, and discounted at 2 mana? Count me in.
1 Regrowth belt- The greatest health recovery card in the game, as it's not as random as rolling attack dice. It's static, and it keeps the Fluffy priestess alive.

1 Necropian Vampiress- Yes, it's 12 points. Yes, it's worth it. I mean, she's got Frost -2!!! And she's basically immortal with a five dice vampiric attack. But that's nothing compared to Frost -2. And 2 armor and fifteen life? Yes. Just Yes.
3 Grey Angel- This is another opening the deck can have, it's not as fast, but these creatures are your support. Because you are the Vampiress's support, and you need to stay alive. For the Vampire.

1 Cobra Reflexes- This is fun to put on the Priestess to watch them frolic in happiness as they just miss you. Defense rings may come in at some point..
1 Bear Strength- For Vampire. Do I need to say anymore?
2 Block- for the rare cases that your opponent can attack you, you can always just scream nope as you windmill this. Or you could not do that. The latter is preferred.
1 Nullify- this is for the Vampiress before she makes her rather long journey to the opponent's side of the board, so that they don't try and act crazy and put her to sleep.
1 Divine Intervention- The other piece to our combo and how we get the Vampire to journey to exactly where the opponent waits. When you flip this face up, make sure you say "Intervene this!". The blank look in your opponent's face afterwards is almost guaranteed. Almost.
2 Divine protection- These go the Gray Angels in most cases, but if you want to throw them on yourself and feel all protected, by all means.
1 Regrowth- I love static healing effects. Can't you tell?
1 Rhino Hide- for the Priestess if there gets to be a mid game... i say "if" sarcastically.
1 Circle of Lightning- because why don't we stun them even more?!
1 Force Orb- We are building our defenses, aren't we now?

1 Heal- Okay, we can't go out there completely unprotected.
1 Charge- If they try to teleport away from the Vampiress, just play this silently, in respect for the piece of their soul that just died.
1 Minor Heal- This is my dirty little secret, okay? Healing the Vampiress (if she needs it), while getting us a little high on life is never a bad return investment!
2 Seeking dispel- Can I tell the number of times people have tried to cast Block in response to a ten dice attack? 2.
2 Teleport- I don't want to be caught outside the house with out at least one, and two assures me that the opponent will not be getting away from me anytime soon.
2 Dispel- I laughed at that Turn to Stone, because Dispel.
1 Resurrection- if they ever kill your Vampiress, first of all this should NEVER happen, but on the off chance it does, this will give you a second shot. Don't waste this one. Seriously, dude. Don't.
1 Purge Magic- I hate when people try to bog my vampire down with a bunch of curses. It's not only rude, but it's attempted murder. Purge magic fixes all that nonsense.
1 Explode- this is the greatest one-of in the history of the past five minutes. When they cast any sort of armor.... make them explode. Now they are on fire AND they are dying. Fun times. The reason I first thought of calling this deck Frank lucas was because I pictured in my head the Vampiress standing over a burning mage, and it was just like the beginning of American Gangster. I thought it fit nicely!
1 Battle Fury- You know those hands of Bim shalla? You know that Quick attack that the Vampiress has? Double that. Mind blown? I think so.
2 Dissolves- because they are going to try to get a Mage Wand with teleport or minor heal on it at some point. Not.
1 Sleep- The only controlling card in the deck, it is a counter to if the opponent tries to throw a big threat at use while they deal with ours. But no. Not today.

1 Temple of the Dawnbreaker- Because Quicksand is a card, and this is the best defense against it, sadly. Or a loaded d12..... Hmm.
4 Hand of Bimshalla- Yes, there are four. No, we probably don't need that many. But you never know.
2 Temple of light- This just seals the deal against the opponent. And on the off chance that they can some how destroy it? We have another stocked up in the back, just waiting.

2 Pillar of Light- Stunning is so much fun.
1 Blinding Flash- another counter to any kind of swarm strategy that may ensue. But it really just buys me time so that I can get out a harder counter to the swarm option.

So, that's it!What do you guys think?

• Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Lucas [an aggro Priestess attempt]
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »
The book makes me skeptical, but the writing's fun! 12 mana seems like such an expensive way to send in your solo vamp. Does solo vamp win a fight against Pet Steelclaw or Lord of Fire? I don't see a plan B.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »
First off the Vampiress costs 16 not 12. Second Did you really need to comment on every card you put in the deck? Howabout just the highlights and some key strategic points next time?

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »
I assume you are casting the Vampiress first round with the Divine Intervention face down, then revealing on the second turn and teleporting her across the board into your opponents face?  I want make sure that's how you're running your combo before I make any comments.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »

Hey padawan, just to balance wiz pig, I really enjoyed your full commentary, both in terms of content and style.

Nicely done.

I tried the teleporting vamp a couple of times but she got isolated and controlled by my wiz in solo play. I guess I was kinda expecting her though...

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »
I enjoy the dinvine intervention second turn creature warp trick a lot.  It generally buys you some coverage to close in yourself or build some stuff up.   I prefer to send Sir Corazin rather than the vampiress, less spell book cost, 2 defenses and sweep/double strike options.  Though you need to send him over with a nullify or at least a mind shield so he doesn't get shut down right away

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
Yeah, the combo is round one Vampiress with divine intervention for 18 mana. Round two cast nullify on Vampiress and reveal divine intervention. The beauty of the combo is that you don't always have to do it. The three Grey angels are another opening that is slightly less aggressive but just as effective, as it goes round one cast Angel with Divine protection  [6]. Round two cast Angel with divine protection [2]. Round three cast Angel. Having these three fliers can really screw the controlling player up. Then you save the Vampiress as a nice surprise mid game after you are done with your temple business.

I'm sorry if you didn't like the commentary Wiz man, I was just trying something different than your typical "Here's a list, look at it and comment".  I have posted that kind of thing before, and it kind of bores me. I wanted to at least try to entertain you all if you all were taking the time to read what I wrote.

As well, King Richard was talking about Divine Protection, not the creature herself, as Divine Protection costs 2+10 for the reveal. Yeah, it's an all in kind of strategy, but it's the kind of thing you do when your opponent does not expect it. That's why I like this book so much, it's based around this combo, but it can do other powerful things in the meantime while it leads up to the reveal.

Yeah, the other thing a lot of people don't realize is that you can't just expect her to just win for you. You have to back her up in every way you can. Support from the Priestess is the only way to win with her.

As well, if you are expecting a LoF (there are some very typical turn 1 LoF plays), get her out first, and then if he still tries to go with his big fattie strategy, use the vampire to isolate the Mage/LoF, and work your way from there. The beautiful thing about this combo is that sleep is completely countered by an unused quickcast, as her ability let's you remove any amount of condition markers from her, paying the cost of course.

But thank you all for the kind remarks!
Always carry a towel...

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 01:54:19 PM »
I enjoy the dinvine intervention second turn creature warp trick a lot.  It generally buys you some coverage to close in yourself or build some stuff up.   I prefer to send Sir Corazin rather than the vampiress, less spell book cost, 2 defenses and sweep/double strike options.  Though you need to send him over with a nullify or at least a mind shield so he doesn't get shut down right away

I see where you are coming from, as 12 points in a spellbook is a lot to invest, but I do feel that the Vampiress is ever so slightly more resilient than Sir. However, he is not a bad creature at all to use, and I would be scared shitless if he was in my zone turn 2.
Always carry a towel...

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
No, my apologies, Padwan. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Your book this is an interesting build and your commentary is potentially quite useful. I think maybe if you posted a simple list first followed by your explanations then it would be possible to get a quick feel for the book before following up on your rationales for inclusion. It's just a lot of blocked text to read to try and get a sense of what you are doing.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 07:32:36 PM »
Nice write up Palawan...  Good stuff!
Si vis pacem para bellum

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 11:53:28 PM »
What's the plan for the mirror play? You summon a vamp, he summons a vamp. You teleport it with divine intervention, he enchants his with Bear strength and gives it Battle Fury. There's no way to come back from that, is there?

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 12:10:41 AM »
Oh yes! One last thing I forgot! I always give initiative to the opponent. IT allows me to react and combo properly. If I were to see him cast Vamp turn 1, I would probably cast Vamp as well, and then cast divine intervention on myself. Turn 2, I would quickcast block on Vamp, with X as my other pick. If he divine intervines the vamp, I will let him, and depending on who he targets for the attack, I will react with divine intervining myself into the opponent's zone, or the block. It would be a difficult matchup, but I do think it's very winnable.
Always carry a towel...

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »
Good idea, but there is no rule that allows you to give initiative to your opponent.
Quote from: Rulebook, p. 6
On the first round of the game, each player rolls the effect die to see who gets the initiative marker. The high roll has the initiative for the first round.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 11:02:36 AM »
Ahh, I had always assumed you could choose.
Always carry a towel...

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 03:00:06 AM »
Ahh, I had always assumed you could choose.

I wish...  Hate going first.   :-\
Si vis pacem para bellum