May 13, 2024, 07:42:05 AM

Author Topic: this is a Force of Nature.  (Read 7338 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
this is a Force of Nature.
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:09:51 PM »
I'm thinking you guys like the Forcemaster. I mean, she is pretty sweet. I wanted to have her be kind of like the piousfleas LoF build, but I didn't want to pay for LoF. So, I had another idea... Steelclaw grizzly. This guy works wonders in this deck, but without further ado, here it is:

3 thoughtspore
1Invisible Stalker (fuzzy on this, may swap for tangle vines/something else)
1 steelclaw Grizzly

1 Wall of Thorns
1 Wall of fire
1 Wall of Pikes
1 Tangle vine
1 Battle Forge

2 Dancing Scimitar
2 Defense Ring
1 Gauntlets of Strength
1 dragonscale Hauberk
1 Regrowth Belt
1 Galvitar, Force Blade
1 Elemental Cloak
1 Leather Boots
1 Moonglow amulet

1 Jet Sream
1 Pillar of Light
1Invisible Fist
1 Force Hammer

1 Vampirism
3 Block
2 Reverse Attack
1 Hellfire Trap
1 ForceField
1 Cheetah Speed
1 Decoy
1 Teleport Trap
1 Mongoose Agility
2 Bear Strength

2 Dissolve
1 Dispel
1 Seeking Dispel
1 Mass sleep
1 Power Strike
1 Battle Fury
3 Force Push
1 Force Wave
1 Sleep
1 Perfect Strike

So, what is the strategy? Well, the is mostly a solo build. Thoughtspores can help keep cards at bay, which the reason for the plethora of level 1 attack spells. Grizzly for when you start to stall the opponent. He is what will win you the game, as they will have to deal with him to get to you. You work with the grizzly, and he works for you. Why the number of different walls? Well, I'm testing out the different walls to see which ones are best w/force push. Wall of Thorns if they get too cocky and put on no armor, Wall of Fire near the mid game to stall them a bit, and Wall of pikes to help stop a creature rush with force wave. This is deck is undefeated so far, so I would like to hear your thoughts on what I can do to better this build.

I am thinking about taking out the Mass Sleep and the Invisible Stalker and one block for a more direct approach of +1 Battle fury, +1 Dispel, +1 Tanglevine, +1 Eagle Wings (Bear). Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:12:26 PM by padawanofthegames »
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: this is a Force of Nature.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:10:53 AM »
I don't think you need Invisible Stalker if you have Steelclaw Grizzly.

If your goal of using walls is to trap your opponent, I think Wall of Stone works the best. It may not have a passive attack trait but you can still bash people against it. But if you are using walls because of the passive attack trait I think Wall of Fire is the best for this. I recommend including Mordok's Obelisk and Suppression Orb against aggro/swarm match ups. Also, Hand of Bim-Shalla is currently one of the most broken (in a good way) conjurations in the game. I can't think of a single spellbook that wouldn't benefit from having it.

Equipment looks fine. Leather Boots don't really seem necessary. It is just 1 more armor.

Pillar of Light doesn't feel necessary; there are far better attack spells, like Electrify, that can accomplish daze/stun. Jet Stream doesn't feel necessary; as the Forcemaster, I am willing to bet you already have enough ways to push things around.

Since Forcefield is so critical to the FM, maybe have 2 just in case? Running some Charm or Force Crush might be fun too.

Ditch Power Strike. Battle Fury is better in every single way, so just run two of those instead. Equipping a Mage Wand with Battle Fury can be devastating. Ditch Perfect Strike and replace it with Falcon Precision. Falcon Precision is better because it lasts longer than one turn (hopefully :P) and doesn't use up an action. Force Bash might also be a fine addition to your incantation list.

Lastly, the prospect of a flying bear sounds both hilarious and effective.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:14:00 AM by MrSaucy »
"See you space cowboy..."

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:23:36 AM »
Hmm... these are good ideas. The reason I have the passive attack walls in there is kind of to block them in, but also to punish them for inattentive positioning.

Leather boots can never be completely taken for granted as +1 armor from battle forge is never a dull prospect especially against solo matchups.

The attack spells are again one ofs for the thoughtspore. It's kind of a toolbox, it gets me what I neet at the moment, dig?

Hands are not bad here, but they are a little too passive for this build. The only time I want to not be attacking or casting proactively is turn one. It's a broken conjuration, I've used it a lot, but I think the book works wonders with out it. Adding it in seems like a winmore, but I will test it. I don't have many problems with swarm decks, as I usually am far too aggressive for them really to effectively swarm me.

Ehh, Forcefield isn't that critical, vampirism is more critical imo. Plus it's just too damn expensive!

Ahh, and the power strike. Some times, I don't have five mana to proactively cast power strike... As well, it works great with galvitar... And I will try out the Precision, I hadn't thought about that card!

And yes, a fellow MW player suggested it, and since Grizzly is by far my favorite creature in the game (and then it's Cervere), the prospect of giving him flying is just AWESOME.
Always carry a towel...

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:49:15 AM »

Hands are not bad here, but they are a little too passive for this build.

You do realize Hands grant +1 melee, right? Not very passive at all. Run more than 1 and go to town.

I still recommend having Mordok's Obelisk and Suppression Orb for swarm matchups. I am surprised swarms haven't given you any trouble so far. Your opponents must not be very challenging; swarms are the FMs biggest weakness. Or you are just a brilliant strategist. Regardless, Obelisk and Orb would make your job easier whenever you are fighting against a Beastmaster or a swarm Warlord.

Battle Fury > Power Strike. All the time. The choice between getting +2 for one attack and being able to attack twice is a no brainer.

Be sure to have ways to deal with fliers. I am partial to Maim Wings and Knockdown myself. Knockdown on your Thoughtspores is an option.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 01:02:20 AM »
I do realize that, what I was saying was that in the early game, I want to go mana crystal battle forge, next turn mana crystal, face down cheetah speed. From then on it's speed attacking. Using a quick cast to cast bim just isn't what I want to do. It's versatile, yes, but it is a little slow for what I want to do. Even rousing the beast might be a good option for grizzly.

It may be that as soon as an attack mounts, moving and casting wall of X slows swarms down to the point of being able to deal with them quickly. Again, vampirism here really is awesome. Would consider Bims for this match up though, as they are less slow than the Obelisk line.

It is a better card, I'm not contesting that. I'm just saying Power strike saves me two mana with galvitar, as I already have double strike when I have pinned them down. Different cards for different uses.

Good thinking on the fliers though. Falcons can really get to be a problem, will consider a solution.

Cheers for the comments!
Always carry a towel...

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 01:24:18 AM »

Good thinking on the fliers though. Falcons can really get to be a problem, will consider a solution.

Cheers for the comments!

There is a strategy guide on this site called "How to Beat Flyers" or something like that. It is short and should give you some ideas.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 02:32:55 AM »
I've read it ^.^ Thankee though
Always carry a towel...