May 04, 2024, 03:12:51 AM

Author Topic: Animal Kinship spellbook  (Read 4221 times)

Kazador

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Devil is a looser and he`s my bitch.
    • View Profile
Animal Kinship spellbook
« on: July 24, 2015, 01:34:57 PM »
Hey guys, I was going through all of my cards and one got my interest. It was the Animal Kinship card, so I was thinking about building a book around this card. This is what I came up with:

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]King of Animals[/spellbookname]
[mage]Beastmaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J01]1 x  Rajan's Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j02]2 x  Animal Kinship[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1w04]2 x  Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j13]2 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j10]1 x  Lair[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c38]2 x  Timber Wolf[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c34]1 x  Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC16]2 x  Spitting Raptor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c07]1 x  Cervere, The Forest Shadow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC03]1 x  Galador, Protector of Straywood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c04]4 x  Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c12]2 x  Emerald Tegu[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]2 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]3 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]2 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]3 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e16]1 x  Force Hold[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]1 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]2 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e07]1 x  Cobra Reflexes[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e13]1 x  Eagle Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]1 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q25]1 x  Ring of Beasts[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q30]1 x  Staff of Beasts[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]1 x  Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ10]1 x  Storm Drake Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i04]1 x  Charge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i03]2 x  Call of the Wild[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I know, that the cards from academy will be very helpfull here, but until then, this is what I have. Any suggestions to change something? :)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
You see a solemn place of reverence. I see a playground.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Animal Kinship spellbook
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 03:44:16 PM »
I tried something like this before. Straywood beastmaster wants to be punching enemy along with his animals. I encountered issues regarding how much mana I was spending vs how many actions and trait bonuses I had and for how long. Frankly it was too high cost to play like that, both in actions and mana, for what you get out of it. I.e. Why use an ape plus animal kinship when you've got eagleclaw boots?

I figured out that Straywood Animal kinship strategy only works with level 1 animals via quick summoning, as a way to bank actions. Instead of taking separate quick actions for a card that gives you a trait and a lv1 animal, kinship allows you to get both for only 1 quick action. But if you're relying on mana-expensive full action creatures to give you the bonuses, you're actually spending more mana and actions than you otherwise would be.

Example
This is what you want to do:
with animal kinship out, you summon a lv1 ape, which gives you climbing. Every lv1 ape after that will also give you free climbing.

This is what you don't want to do:

With Animal kinship out, use a full action to summon a mountain gorilla. You'll have a hard time summoning another one, and you won't be able to move or punch before casting him.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:52:45 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Animal Kinship spellbook
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »
I tried something like this before. Straywood beastmaster wants to be punching enemy along with his animals. I encountered issues regarding how much mana I was spending vs how many actions and trait bonuses I had and for how long. Frankly it was too high cost to play like that, both in actions and mana, for what you get out of it. I.e. Why use an ape plus animal kinship when you've got eagleclaw boots?

I figured out that Straywood Animal kinship strategy only works with level 1 animals via quick summoning, as a way to bank actions. Instead of taking separate quick actions for a card that gives you a trait and a lv1 animal, kinship allows you to get both for only 1 quick action. But if you're relying on mana-expensive full action creatures to give you the bonuses, you're actually spending more mana and actions than you otherwise would be.

Example
with animal kinship out, you summon a lv1 ape, which gives you climbing. Every lv1 ape after that will also give you free climbing.

With Animal kinship out, use a full action to summon a mountain gorilla. You'll have a hard time summoning another one, and you won't be able to move or punch before casting him.

I don't think Climbing is the best example.  I've never seen Gorilla + Kinship in order to get Climbing and doubt I ever will.  Kinship pushes up the cap for your +X Melee and +X Armor on top of equipment/enchantment bonuses, and if you're considering a buddy BM build, then it's not too difficult to make your buddy a pet reptile (or maybe a pet wolf) and throw down some Kinships. 

A local player runs a Kinship book.  What seems to work (sometimes) for him is getting 2+ Kinships in play along with an Emerald Tegu (or Spitting Raptor) "pet/buddy" and a Bitterwood Fox in the first few turns.  The Fox runs away - e.g. it's really just there for +X Melee; maybe it can hunt down enemy Zone Exclusive conjurations or something, but it just needs to stay alive.  Then you send in your mostly naked Beastmaster (maybe add Bear Strength + Rhino Hide + weapon of choice and whatever other tools you need as you go along) and he does most of the work while your reptile pet guards and/or attacks and/or stays alive somehow. 

Looking at your spell list, you can probably drop most of the creatures.  Keep 1 Timber Wolf, 1 cat, 1 Fox, maybe keep the Grizzly - but honestly you should go with a Timber Wolf or reptile as your initial buddy since you want those bonuses more than Tough.  Grizzly is solid but expensive and doesn't help your Kinship strategy directly (unless you really need Tough for some reason).  Not sure if I'd bother with Galador - just bring Divine Might or Mage Staff for dealing with Incorporeal (and Mage Staff is probably better than Staff of Beasts for your purposes anyway).  Add a Hand of Bim-Shallah to get another +1 attack die (or armor/healing when necessary).

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 04:48:57 PM »

Example

I don't think Climbing is the best example.  I've never seen Gorilla + Kinship in order to get Climbing and doubt I ever will.  Kinship pushes up the cap for your +X Melee and +X Armor on top of equipment/enchantment bonuses, and if you're considering a buddy BM build, then it's not too difficult to make your buddy a pet reptile (or maybe a pet wolf) and throw down some Kinships. 

A local player runs a Kinship book.  What seems to work (sometimes) for him is getting 2+ Kinships in play along with an Emerald Tegu (or Spitting Raptor) "pet/buddy" and a Bitterwood Fox in the first few turns.  The Fox runs away - e.g. it's really just there for +X Melee; maybe it can hunt down enemy Zone Exclusive conjurations or something, but it just needs to stay alive.  Then you send in your mostly naked Beastmaster (maybe add Bear Strength + Rhino Hide + weapon of choice and whatever other tools you need as you go along) and he does most of the work while your reptile pet guards and/or attacks and/or stays alive somehow. 

Looking at your spell list, you can probably drop most of the creatures.  Keep 1 Timber Wolf, 1 cat, 1 Fox, maybe keep the Grizzly - but honestly you should go with a Timber Wolf or reptile as your initial buddy since you want those bonuses more than Tough.  Grizzly is solid but expensive and doesn't help your Kinship strategy directly (unless you really need Tough for some reason).  Not sure if I'd bother with Galador - just bring Divine Might or Mage Staff for dealing with Incorporeal (and Mage Staff is probably better than Staff of Beasts for your purposes anyway).  Add a Hand of Bim-Shallah to get another +1 attack die (or armor/healing when necessary).

Okay then, I suppose it can work in some metas. I stand corrected. Listen to this guy, this was some pretty good advice. However, on the global meta, what I said still applies, I think.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kazador

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 10:30:04 PM »

Example

I was not planing to use gorilla anyway. The boots are enough.

Thank you :) I will add the hand and mage staff, drop galador and beast stuff, maybe add a couple of nullifies. I am running 4 foxes just to have them around and multiple copies of different animals, to make sure, they will be around long enough until I punch oposing mage to death :D But great points gyus, thank you.

Kazador

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:43:33 PM »
Slightly modified book:

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Beastmaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j02]2 x  Animal Kinship[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j13]2 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j10]1 x  Lair[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1w04]2 x  Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c34]1 x  Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c07]1 x  Cervere, The Forest Shadow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c04]4 x  Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c12]2 x  Emerald Tegu[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c38]2 x  Timber Wolf[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC16]2 x  Spitting Raptor[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]2 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]3 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]2 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e16]2 x  Force Hold[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]2 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e07]1 x  Cobra Reflexes[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e13]1 x  Eagle Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]1 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q25]1 x  Ring of Beasts[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]1 x  Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ10]1 x  Storm Drake Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q18]1 x  Mage Staff[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i04]1 x  Charge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i03]1 x  Call of the Wild[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Does the effect from kinship stack? If I have 2 out, does that give me +2 melee and +2 armor?

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 04:10:05 AM »
yes

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 05:11:16 AM »
Also, at MW Mondays podcast, Laddifance stated that Academy will have some really neat lvl 1 creatures you will really like and be cool in synergy with Animal Kinkship. This is what i am really looking for! :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 06:38:32 AM »
Also, at MW Mondays podcast, Laddifance stated that Academy will have some really neat lvl 1 creatures you will really like and be cool in synergy with Animal Kinkship. This is what i am really looking for! :)

I think Animal Kinkship is a different spell.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 06:58:18 AM »
Does the effect from kinship stack? If I have 2 out, does that give me +2 melee and +2 armor?

Yes, but having multiple creatures of the same type don't stack. E.g. 3x Kinship with 1x Canine = +3 melee; 1x Kinship with 4x Canines = +1 melee.

Kazador

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 09:26:31 AM »

Yes, but having multiple creatures of the same type don't stack. E.g. 3x Kinship with 1x Canine = +3 melee; 1x Kinship with 4x Canines = +1 melee.

I understand that, thanks :)

Kazador

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 09:31:49 AM »
I think, that the tough - 2 will be significant with the new "bear family" from academy. Especially, when the effect stacks. :)