May 04, 2024, 03:11:18 AM

Author Topic: Angelic Preistess Build  (Read 5509 times)

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
Angelic Preistess Build
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:40:06 PM »
So last week, I finally received my CoK and FvW expansions in the mail and I decided to make a Priest spellbook. Orginaly, this was going to be a Priest spellbook, but I made a last minute change before a match to put in the Priestess because I felt she would do much better than the Priest would using the spells I had chosen. Here is the deck breakdown:

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Angelic Judgement[/spellbookname]
[mage]Priestess[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1a11]2 x  Pillar of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a01]1 x  Blinding Flash[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ01]1 x  Enchanter's Wardstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j12]1 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ08]1 x  Renewing Spring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j23]1 x  Temple of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKW01]2 x  Wall of Steel[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c02]1 x  Asyran Cleric[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c19]2 x  Gray Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]1 x  Guardian Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC13]1 x  Selesius, the East Wind[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c39]1 x  Valshalla, Lightning Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c31]1 x  Samandriel, Angel of Light[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e12]2 x  Divine Protection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e20]1 x  Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE02]1 x  Divine Might[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE02]1 x  Circle of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x  Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e11]1 x  Divine Intervention[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q03]1 x  Crown of Protection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q24]1 x  Ring of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q27]1 x  Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ10]1 x  Storm Drake Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]1 x  Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q22]1 x  Moonglow Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q29]1 x  Staff of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]2 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i13]1 x  Group Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i14]1 x  Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i22]1 x  Resurrection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i20]1 x  Purify[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

The plan with this deck was to stall until I had the bulk of my Angel army out and then Divine Intervention the opposing mage right into the middle and start poking him with holy sticks. I won the match I played this with, but it was a close game. The opposing mage was using the warlord and was effectively blocking most of my offensive attacks with well executed guards. I managed to win by snatching him out of his zone of angry dwarves with Divine intervention and stunning him while my Angels all started pounding on him.

I believe it could use some tweaking so if anyone would like to give me their thoughts and comments on what should be changed or taken out, it would be most appreciated.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Angelic Preistess Build
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 11:16:49 PM »
I love Angel builds just make sure to have Guardian one with you. The main problem I had (this was before CoK) was the fact that Angels don't hinder and made it easy to get to the mage while ignoring the Angels.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:01:25 AM »
I love Angel builds just make sure to have Guardian one with you. The main problem I had (this was before CoK) was the fact that Angels don't hinder and made it easy to get to the mage while ignoring the Angels.....

Yeah I will say that is somewhat of a downside. I had to use my mage for the most part whenever I wanted to hinder. I am considering putting in a knight of westlock just for that purpose. Or possibly putting an enfeeble in my spellbook but it would be less expensive if I just put the knight in. I also may take something else out to put in more walls to control the movement
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"

dark_dar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »
So you have the following mana boosters:
- Cleric and Temple of Asura
- Battleforge and Mana Crystal
- Harmonize either Temple or Forge, probably Temple.
- Moonglow Amulet

I think this may be too much points spent on this, as you won't be able to have to cast all of them, unless you are against a similar build that tries to take it's time to build up as much as possible. It'll take about 4-5 turns to cast all these things, while your opponent can rush you with couple of biggies.

I would also switch Renewing Spring to 2-3 more Minor Heals/healing enchantements. They are cheap, heal for more dice and don't require creature to lose action that could be used for attack/guard.

And do you think you will have enough mana to Ressurect slain angels? Or is it for Gray Angels?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 09:11:42 AM »

Yeah I will say that is somewhat of a downside. I had to use my mage for the most part whenever I wanted to hinder. I am considering putting in a knight of westlock just for that purpose. Or possibly putting an enfeeble in my spellbook but it would be less expensive if I just put the knight in. I also may take something else out to put in more walls to control the movement
If you keep a Guardian Angel with you and on Guard she will hinder. FiF will help with Defend.....

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »
So you have the following mana boosters:
- Cleric and Temple of Asura
- Battleforge and Mana Crystal
- Harmonize either Temple or Forge, probably Temple.
- Moonglow Amulet

The temple I got out in the first turn with a harmonize. Then the next turn I got out a cleric through the temple and battleforge. I never ended up using the Moonglow amulet. I stuck with the Sunfire Amulet throughout the game which helped immensely compared with the special ability of the Priestess. I didnt have too hard of a time with mana, but against more aggressive builds, I can forsee that being a problem trying to get all of that out quickly and saving up for angels.

I may adjust to a more mana efficient way if I can think of something different.

I would also switch Renewing Spring to 2-3 more Minor Heals/healing enchantements. They are cheap, heal for more dice and don't require creature to lose action that could be used for attack/guard.

Yeah, I managed to get out renewing springs at one point but I nevered ended up using it because it was a waste of an action. I will probably take that out.

And do you think you will have enough mana to Ressurect slain angels? Or is it for Gray Angels?

I had the resurrection in their in case one of my bigger Angels was taken down. It would have been used on the Angel with the most potency. If electricity was a big damage boost, I would have saved for valahalla. If I need to take down groups of flying, I would have saved for Selesius. Depends on which could be used more effectively. If I can tell one of the Angels is about to go down, I would start saving up mana. I never lost an Angel so I don't know how difficult that could have been
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Thanks man"

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 09:25:31 AM »
I had the resurrection in their in case one of my bigger Angels was taken down. It would have been used on the Angel with the most potency. If electricity was a big damage boost, I would have saved for valahalla. If I need to take down groups of flying, I would have saved for Selesius. Depends on which could be used more effectively. If I can tell one of the Angels is about to go down, I would start saving up mana. I never lost an Angel so I don't know how difficult that could have been

Ehh at that point it's really not worth it. It would be 26 mana to bring one of them back, and you would need to waste a few turns not doing anything in order to save up that much mana. Better to just try to heal them with Lay Hands or something. 9 mana for 12 dice of healing, that'll fix up those Angels real quick.

If you keep a Guardian Angel with you and on Guard she will hinder. FiF will help with Defend.....

This is something I would definitely put in there. Along with maybe a Knight of Westlock or Highland Unicorn. If you buff up a Unicorn with enchantments, it becomes pretty awesome. Well, so do the Knights. Your choice, I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:32:22 AM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »
I suppose you are right about the Resurrection. I will probably replace with Lay Hands. At least I will have a better shot at actually casting.

I didn't consider the unicorn. The Regen bonus would be nice to have for the zone of Angels
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Thanks man"

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 11:36:35 AM »
I suppose you are right about the Resurrection. I will probably replace with Lay Hands. At least I will have a better shot at actually casting.

I didn't consider the unicorn. The Regen bonus would be nice to have for the zone of Angels
I have never used [mwcard=MW1I22]Resurrection[/mwcard] but I have with [mwcard=MW1I16]Lay Hands[/mwcard]. With Lay Hands you have to be in the same zone as the target creature, which might prove difficult to use if your angels are on the front lines battling it out while your mage is across the board hanging out. Resurrection takes the card out of your discard pile so none the zone limitations like with Lay Hands. Just something to think about.

My problem with Resurrection is it is a level 4 spell so it is cheaper to carry a second Brogan who is also a level 4 creature. With most of the big angels being level 5 and cost 21 mana to bring out,  so I would rather carry a second copy for the 1 extra book cost vs. having to pay the 26 mana. Now if I had an Epic living creature that I built my book around, then this spell would rock, as it would mean that I could carry 2 (or more) of the same Epic creature....I would love to see someone's look as I resurrected Kralathor (currently the only Epic Living creature)....

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »
I think what I may do it take out Resurrection and something else to put in Brogan and Lay hands. Even though I am aiming for a more Angel themed spellbook, Brogan is always a welcome addition. I mean, who doesn't want a creature that has Piercing +3 and 4 armor?

I plan on purchasing DvN pretty soon so I may have to try and see if Kralathor and a resurrection could fit in the same spellbook nicely. I know my eyes would bug out if, right after I killed that vine monstrosity, it appeared again.
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Thanks man"

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 12:03:58 PM »
Just remember that like sIKE said, with Lay Hands you HAVE to be in the same zone. That might not always be a good idea. Another Heal might be a better option, since you can cast from 2 zones away.

Or you could put some Healing Charms in there and sit back while your Angels go to battle on the front lines. It only heals 4 dice but you can reveal it whenever you want to, nomatter how far away you are.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »
I think what I may do it take out Resurrection and something else to put in Brogan and Lay hands. Even though I am aiming for a more Angel themed spellbook, Brogan is always a welcome addition. I mean, who doesn't want a creature that has Piercing +3 and 4 armor?

I plan on purchasing DvN pretty soon so I may have to try and see if Kralathor and a resurrection could fit in the same spellbook nicely. I know my eyes would bug out if, right after I killed that vine monstrosity, it appeared again.
I was not making recommendations on any of these spells, just my thoughts on there use. I think that the best suggestion I have seen so for is to add in a Unicorn for it Regenerative properties on other friendly creatures. My point with Resurrection is for both its book cost and mana cost it is just cheaper to carry a second of whatever I was planning to use it on. The only case that I could no do this is with an Epic creature. With Epic spells you can only carry one in your spellbook. With Resurrection you could use it to get around that limitation, Kralathor was the example as currently he is the only living Epic creature.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »
At the risk of derailing this thread, Resurrection is another one of my "could have been good" crap cards.  It's way too expensive in terms of spellbook points and casting cost for what it brings to a book.  A better choice would have been to add "Epic" and remove "...plus its creature level" to the casting cost.  As it is, it is a junk card that should never be used.

*stomps off grumbling curmudgeonly*

Edit:  Modified my post to make it more clear. ; )

--On topic, I would agree that there are too many mana generation cards in there.  I would also recommend adding in a Healing Charm or two; they have the advantage of being usable *in response* to your creature taking enough damage to kill it, with the way enchantments work.  I would also add a second Guardian Angel.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:49:34 PM by IndyPendant »

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 01:48:03 PM »
At the risk of derailing this thread, Resurrection is another one of my "could have been good" crap cards.  They could have made it Epic as well as Holy Mage Only; did they *really* have to add the additional penalty of "...plus its level" for casting cost?  Card would have been just find at "X equals creature's casting cost".  As it is, it's completely ruined, a never-use card.

*stomps off grumbling curmudgeonly*

Agreed. It seems unfair that the Necro can reanimate a creature for half its casting cost and Holy Mages have to pay the full casting cost plus some more. Even with it becoming a zombie, this is still a much better deal imo.

I understand that both all of the Necro's cards that do this are limited to non-epic living creatures, but like sIKE said, Kralathor is the only epic living creature currently so this isn't really a big deal. I would have much preferred if instead of having to pay their level as extra mana, it read "When the creature comes into play, place a Stun marker on it.", much like Mind Control.

However, I am sure there are reasons for it being what it is, presumably because more Epic living creatures will be released. So, while mostly useless now, perhaps it'll see more use in the future? I suppose only time will tell.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:50:31 PM by Lord0fWinter »