May 18, 2024, 09:05:56 AM

Author Topic: Teleport and Reverse Magic  (Read 15447 times)

jdob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Teleport and Reverse Magic
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »
I looked around the forums but couldn't find this answered already. Apologies if it's a duplciate.

Let's say I cast Teleport on my opponent's wolf, who turns out to have Reverse Magic enchanted on it. I understand the rules on mana; my opponent can supplement the spell with extra mana based on the normal rules of Reverse Magic. What I'm not sure of is the affected creature and zone.

- Does the caster have to be the new target for the Teleport (my mage, the raven, etc.) or can my opponent select any creature?

- Can the destination zone be changed by my opponent?

- When figuring out what creature and zone can be selected, is the range and LOS measured from the wolf (who had Reverse Magic but can't actually cast spells), from my opponent's mage, or from the original caster?

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Teleport and Reverse Magic
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
Reverse magic is revealed in the counter spell step (step 2).  Step 1 involves declaring the target and paying the mana etc.  So the mana has already been paid etc before you reveal your reverse magic. 

Reverse magic is very clear that it is now the caster who is the target (so usually his mage, but could be hugin). 

You control the spell, to my mind, you get to decide the destination.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
both Bryan and I have talked about it before
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »

As they sang in Grease, tell me more, tell me more...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »
The mage revealing Reverse magic could be a long way from the action and behind a wall :)

jdob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
The mage revealing Reverse magic could be a long way from the action and behind a wall :)

Exactly. I'm guessing the new zone is selected relative to the original recipient, despite the fact that it never normally would have cast a spell.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
I don't see how those links answers all the questions to Reverse magic vs teleport...

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 01:36:59 PM »

As they sang in Grease, tell me more, tell me more...
Reverse Magic and Teleport
Can I add more mana to a reversed spell?
Reverse Magic and Nullify
Reverse Magic and timing with Enchantments
Reverse Magic more questions
Sleep and Reverse Magic
Nulify and Revers magic at the same time

If you have more questions just ask

Reading through those was both frustrating and enlightening but they did not answer the last question about targeting posed in the thread.

- When figuring out what creature and zone can be selected, is the range and LOS measured from the wolf (who had Reverse Magic but can't actually cast spells), from my opponent's mage, or from the original caster?

I'll rephrase this a bit because it was partially answered:

When applying the reversed teleport to the original caster  (the enemy mage for instance), does the original target (the one with reversed magic on it) need to have line of sight to both the enemy mage and the spot that you are teleporting them too, or is LoS determined from the original caster still, or your mage. Similarly are the range restrictions applied the same way for targeting the reversed teleport.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 01:45:14 PM »
I know what I think the answer is, but let me see if I can prove it.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »

If you chose to change the spell you are the new controller (not the caster).

So then each target would be set based off the casters location.

You may chose at that time to pay more than what was spent thus increasing the range.

after reading those this should all be easier to understand.

Remember teleport has 2 targets
1: the zone you are sending something to
2: the creature being sent

Thus a max of 4 zone is possible

so if something was going to be sent 2 zones and everything was perfect you could send it four zone instead but you would pay the extra 6 mana

Is that what you you needed?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:02:00 PM by Shad0w »

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »

If you chose to change the spell you are the new controller (not the caster).

So then each target would be set based off the casters location.

You may chose at that time to pay more than what was spent thus increasing the range.

after reading those this should all be easier to understand.

Remember teleport has 2 targets
1: the zone you are sending something to
2: the creature being sent

Thus a max of 4 zone is possible

so if something was going to be sent 2 zones and everything was perfect you could send it four zone instead but you would pay the extra 6 mana

Is that what you you needed?

So the Mage would be the controller and if they were out of range or LoS to the original caster then the spell would merely be canceled and not reversed.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
I looked around the forums but couldn't find this answered already. Apologies if it's a duplciate.

Let's say I cast Teleport on my opponent's wolf, who turns out to have Reverse Magic enchanted on it. I understand the rules on mana; my opponent can supplement the spell with extra mana based on the normal rules of Reverse Magic. What I'm not sure of is the affected creature and zone.

- Does the caster have to be the new target for the Teleport (my mage, the raven, etc.) or can my opponent select any creature?

Now let take what I said and review your questions

jdob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 02:26:21 PM »
So the Mage would be the controller and if they were out of range or LoS to the original caster then the spell would merely be canceled and not reversed.

That's the only part I'm still fuzzy on too. I understand that you're now the controller, but for the purposes of range and LoS, who is "you' on the board?

BTW, thanks everyone for the replies. This is my first venture to these boards and I'm glad to see them active and not full of trolls :)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »

That's the only part I'm still fuzzy on too. I understand that you're now the controller, but for the purposes of range and LoS, who is "you' on the board?

BTW, thanks everyone for the replies. This is my first venture to these boards and I'm glad to see them active and not full of trolls :)

The caster of the spell does not change. So the choices are made as if you are the other caster.

Trolls fear my
BAN HAMMER 0 CC Quick Cast 0-6 Range LVL 2 - Archmage Cast - Cantrip