May 13, 2024, 03:45:15 PM

Author Topic: Using Attack Spells as the Warlord  (Read 14985 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Using Attack Spells as the Warlord
« on: March 23, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
I have played 4-5 games as the Warlord, and every single time, regardless of who I am playing, I rarely find a use for any of the earth attack spells (Hurl Boulder, Hail of Stones). I am always focusing so much attention on my creatures that I don't really have time to worry about attack spells I guess. My fellow Warlords (wow... that sounds nerdy), do you find yourself playing the same way? No attack spells and just creatures?
"See you space cowboy..."

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Using Attack Spells as the Warlord
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »
I would use hurl bolder in the end game if I could one shot the enemy mage....but thats about it. Hail of stones if Im playing a beastmaster maybe, I dont play Hail of stones often, having it be a full round action.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

shapeshifter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »
I feel the opposite, and that is quite brilliant to the game. 4 Boulders is a must for me.

After attacking naturally with a Ivarium Bow or sledge a few consequtive rounds it builds up a decent mana supply over time. Then when your opponnent has initiative, hurl a boulder at the opposing Mage in the ending quickcast step and then throw a second in the first quick cast step when you have initiative the next round. This is a total of 14 dice attack (16 with hawkeye) that your opponnent cant reply with outside of enchantment revealing and most likely a slam on them too.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 01:13:27 AM »
I think 4 is a bit much for the Warlord, but I agree that it's always good to have some in your spellbook. Your opponent will be so distracted with dealing with your veterans and physical attacks that they may forget that casting that medium creature with 8 health is still subject to a one shot. Also as an end game spell it's almost the best out there.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:34:32 AM »
@shapeshifter   

Interesting, but I have to ask, why on earth (pun intended) do you use the longbow? First of all, the Warlord already has some great ranged creatures. Second of all, the bow takes up 2 hands, thus preventing you from using the Warlord's Horn of Gothos. And Horn of Gothos is absolutely essential!

When I play as the Warlord, everything focuses on my creatures. I make a goal of summoning a creature every turn after setup is complete (either from my barracks or directly from my Warlord). Between that, using the Horn of Gothos, using Helm of Command, and healing/buffing my creatures, I feel like I never have the time to use attack spells. My Warlord is rarely close to the enemy mage anyways during a game because I hate being in range of dissolve/explode. Also, that is my playstyle anyhow...harassing the enemy, forcing him to respond to my creatures, while I hide safely away. You can call it a cowardly tactic, but it seems to work out fine for me :p

Nitz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:22:25 PM »
How do  you deal with Flying Nasty's (big angels and Demons) without the boulder?  I played the Warlock the other day, and the Boulder's where my only chance once he got that big dawg demon on the table.

I would think boulders would be crucial just for that.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »
Yeah, My last game (that was after my first post) I had to spellbind boulder on a wand to get rid of a BMs pet darkfeene bats....I got so much rot in that game(Well four).......the game ended with me taking 20 damage from rot. (We never use the 90min time cut off.)
Within Shad0w.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 02:27:08 AM »
Oh, they have flyers?
Easy.
Goblin Slingers + Grimson Deadeye.
Problem solved.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:48:36 AM »
I like a Warlord that leads from the front:

+1 innate battle skill, Gauntlets of Strength are 1 spell point and 3 mana, put a 2 mana Power Strike in your helmet and your War Sledge is dropping 8 dice, or sweeping at 8+4 while laying out multiple Daze chances.  

Send in the troops, march in and start hammering.  If they decide to focus on disarming you instead of supressing your forces, you can replace, or start throwing rocks via earth spells.

Im actually the opposite, because I never really use Battle Orders and think the Horn is a waste when i play.  Requires too much to be on the table to be worth the mana, action, and equip slot.
I can give 3 archers +1 die (+3) who must all be in position to take a shot... or I can cast a Battle Fury and do a second attack on myself or a big creature for 4-8 dice.   The +1 melee on battle orders only applies while guarding, and the Charge really doesnt help past the first push (once most creatures are on the target, youre only getting a few +1s)... Id rather just use that action to attack or use that mana on a more effective support spell while keeping my double dazing monster hammer (its amazing how much longer your creatures last when the opponents are unable to hit them due to failed daze rolls).  I just always feel like i have more potent actions in my book and usually skip out on orders, and have stopped really considering the horn outside of ranged attack-focused builds.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 07:41:40 AM »
Hurl Boulder is an awesome spell.  How is 7 dice to the face ever something that you wouldn't want to do?  :)

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:37 AM »
Quote from: "Sausageman" post=9785
Hurl Boulder is an awesome spell.  How is 7 dice to the face ever something that you wouldn't want to do?  :)

When 8 + the chance of daze cost no mana! :P  I agree, hurl boulder is a great spell.
Within Shad0w.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 08:45:53 AM »
Quote from: "shapeshifter" post=9663
This is a total of 14 dice attack (16 with hawkeye) that your opponnent cant reply with outside of enchantment revealing and most likely a slam on them too.

I don't believe that Hawkeye works this way. It gives a Creature +1 Ranged ability. I believe that it doesn't stack with spells.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

shapeshifter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »
why not be cowardly while shooting with a Longbow, the mana you will build up while shooting can be used on traps and creature buffs.

I also see horn as a waste of time, so am not bothered to lose a hand slot. I have a helmet of awesome.

shapeshifter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 08:52:42 AM »
@Pixelgeek

oh really, because i thought it would work similar to an elemental ring??
but we not have an earth ring yet

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »
Quote from: "shapeshifter" post=9798
oh really, because i thought it would work similar to an elemental ring??
but we not have an earth ring yet

The phrasing is much different though

Hawkeye:
This creature gains the Ranged +1 trait.

Lightning Ring:
Mage gains the Melee +1 and Ranged +1 traits for all attacks he makes that deal lightning damage.

The Lightning Ring, for example, specifically applies to all Attacks that a Mage makes. Hawkeye just gives the effected Creature the Ranged +1 trait.

So putting Hawkeye on your Warlord would not add damage from any Attack spells he cast.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.