May 05, 2024, 11:37:33 AM

Author Topic: joined strength  (Read 18336 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: joined strength
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Well INano is correct, but I don't believe in Exids example that the joined strength would carry over, as mage only cards cannot carry over to another mage of a different type. Similar to how a Goran pet werewolf could not transfer control to a non warlock, neither via mind control or teammate mage death.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 10:03:56 PM »
Okay, I was wrong. The scenario is currently possible when you take multiple mages into account, one a dark mage raising animals as zombies, and the other a beastmaster casting Joined Strength on said zombies. This would only occur in a team game though, since you wouldn't have reason to cast Joined Strength on an opponent's creature. So I suppose we do need an answer to the rare scenario. Again, my guess is that you just wouldn't count the damage dealt to the non-living creature and only heal for the part dealt to the living one. So, attacking the zombie animal with a vampiric attack would heal you 1, due to the 1 damage transferred to the living mage.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 11:57:05 PM »
but I don't believe in Exids example that the joined strength would carry over, as mage only cards cannot carry over to another mage of a different type.

oups!
you're rhight.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 11:57:39 PM »
So, attacking the zombie animal with a vampiric attack would heal you 1, due to the 1 damage transferred to the living mage.

sounds right to me.
(did i mention that i LOVE these discussions?)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 06:19:53 AM »
Okay, I was wrong. The scenario is currently possible when you take multiple mages into account, one a dark mage raising animals as zombies, and the other a beastmaster casting Joined Strength on said zombies. This would only occur in a team game though, since you wouldn't have reason to cast Joined Strength on an opponent's creature. So I suppose we do need an answer to the rare scenario. Again, my guess is that you just wouldn't count the damage dealt to the non-living creature and only heal for the part dealt to the living one. So, attacking the zombie animal with a vampiric attack would heal you 1, due to the 1 damage transferred to the living mage.

I can think of another scenario.

Beastmaster vs Dark Mage. Dark Mage has been using Battleforge to fully outfit himself with lots of Armor plus a Veteran's Belt, and/or has several facedown Enchantments that likely include Reverse Attack, Block, etc. The Dark Mage used Animate Dead on an animal earlier. And the Dark Mage is near death.

Here, you might be better off casting Joined Strength on your opponent's zombie animal and transferring 1 damage per attack directly to the Mage. If you or any of your creatures have Vampirism, you might like a ruling.

Just reread Joined Strength and it sounds like it always transfers the damage to the controller of Joined Strength (aka "you") and not the controller of the creature it's attached to. Too bad. Can't even Steal Enchantment it over to the Dark Mage because it's Beastmaster only. Oh well. Worth a try.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 06:48:46 AM »
It's really unlikely, in any case.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2016, 08:35:15 AM »
what about the satyr rolling 4 dmg against a creature with joined strength. That would mean similar to rod of arcanum, it never receives the 4th damage, so the satyr wouldnt deal the stagger either

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2016, 08:56:42 AM »
what about the satyr rolling 4 dmg against a creature with joined strength. That would mean similar to rod of arcanum, it never receives the 4th damage, so the satyr wouldnt deal the stagger either

The Satyr deals 3 damage to creature and 1 to the BM. The Stagger effect would not trigger

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »
as i expected

So finally the dmg on joined strength never touches the creature

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2016, 01:59:12 PM »
Im just bringing this up cause it happened today and i didn't know of this discussion.

My BM had a Pet Thunderift Falcon with a Joined Strenght on it. My opponent put it to sleep.

To wake it up i have to deal 2 damage?

The wording on Sleep in my old core set rulebook say "If the creature receives any damage.." and the wording on Joined Strenght "..whenever it is attacked and receives damage you must transfer that damage to your Mage instead.

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
Yes, the first point of damage goes to the mage without impacting the creature at all... so the second would wake it.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2016, 07:48:50 AM »
New problem :)

Joined Strength have - Whenever it is attacked and recieves damage you must transfer 1 of that damage to your mage instead.

Disciple of Radiance - Whenever your mage casts a healing incantation, Disciple of Radiance may deal 1 direct damage to a target creature in her zone.

Question - If i have 3 Disciples in a zone with an enemy creature, that has Joined Strength, and Priestes activate theirs ability by Mend. If i target that creature with Joined Strength, will be damage transfered to mage instead? We had this situation in Arena, where mage was in different zone. Our ruling was that creature with Joined strenght Was not attacked, thus condition for transfer effect was not met.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 08:16:28 AM »
Correct.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 09:15:28 AM »
To expand on ringkichard's comment, you are correct that Joined Strength only transfers damage when the creature is attacked. The direct damage from Disciple of Radiance is not an attack and thus does not get transferred. Similarly, the damage from a Ghoul Rot or a Burn Condition does not get transferred.