May 08, 2024, 10:31:04 PM

Author Topic: Uses for turn to stone  (Read 3063 times)

tubex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Uses for turn to stone
« on: May 09, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »
Hi there!

I'm buildning an earth wiz and considering to put in Turn to stone in my book. It seems like a strange card, what uses does it have? Offensive, defensive?

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Uses for turn to stone
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
It's primarily used to shut down powerful enemy creatures like Steelclaw Grizzly or Adramelech, Lord of Fire. There was an Earth Wizard spellbook posted a while ago by Charmyna (http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12936.msg21482#msg21482) used Turn to Stone to keep the way clear for a Steelclaw Grizzly, and there is some discussion of Turn to Stone there.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »
Turn to Stone is acually one of the worst spells you can use to shut down an enemy.
Even if you can block one action from one of your dangerous enemies, next turn it will be dispelled ... in the end you have payed the upkeep (and initial cast and reveal), thats 4 more mana than the dispel of your enemy.
Turn to Stone is nothing you want to use, if your goal is to win the game.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 04:00:16 PM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 04:31:07 PM »
How much mana would you be willing to spend to cost Adramelech, Lord of Fire with Bear Strength and Vampirism an action?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »
You do need to back up a Turn to Stone somehow. That can be as simple as playing other enchantments first, to run them out of Dispels, or something more tailored like Enchanter's Wardstone, Jinx, mana denial, walls, etc. Incapacitate is maybe the strongest effect in the game, and it doesn't come easy.

That said, you need to make the time you're buying count, because you'll be paying a ruinous amount for it. It works best if you can do substantial spike damage while their critter is stoned.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »
People generally prefer banish to turn to stone

Turn to stone was really fun when an enemy sent a solo creature into my next of mana drain worms. IT can also be used to bait for a dispel.

[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard] (and maybe shift enchantment) on a turn to stone is great, because they will try to dispel it, and ET will keep the enchantment in play.

or load up on a bunch of enchanters wardstones.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »

Other than with an Earth Wizard, I personnally don't see which mage can benefit from turn to stone. The only other mages proficient with Earth are the Warlords and this spell will cost 7 SPB! Not worth it if you ask me!

So, Earth Wizard it is: Moreover, if I am an Earth Wizard and I want to incapacitate an enemy creature, I would still go for Banish, because it can't be dispelled and thus gives you 3 solid turns without interruption.
Yes, Banish is a bigger investment at the beginning, but Turn to Stone will cost the same after three turns, if it stays three turns. By then, I'm pretty sure it's either dispelled or destroyed willingly by its owner who decided not to pay its upkeep cost. And if, by any chance, it's still there after three turns, than its controller is just not playing well because he just played to the equivalent of two Mana Siphon on himself!

Not to say that it's a bad spell. It will still put pressure on the opponent, and it will definitely neutralize some big threats temporarily, but other spells just do the same for less.