May 03, 2024, 10:29:53 PM

Author Topic: Which one is a better spellbook?  (Read 2582 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Which one is a better spellbook?
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »
Which one do you think is more likely to win in the hands of a skilled player and spellbook builder? A spellbook that uses a very limited card pool that they've tested and updated about one or two times per week every few weeks over the course of a year? Or a spellbook that takes advantage of a larger card pool that they've tested and updated about one or two times per week for less than three weeks? Or netdecking another player's spellbook that's already established as competitive and practice with it about one or two times per week for less than three weeks?

Please tell me what you think.

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Phoenix

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Which one is a better spellbook?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:22:10 AM »
That is a very general question, and I will give my opinion in a general format.  I would like to address your last situation first, the 'net deck'.  I believe that copying someones successful spell book is not as detrimental to Mage Wars as some other constructed card games, like MTG, hearthstone, or Netrunner.  The reason I hold this to be true is that Mage Wars, like most good games, is a game of decisions.  Each turn the player needs to choose the best spell from the spell available.
     The 'net deck' gives them the tools, however the proper use of those tools are dependent on the player not the spell book. So a well stocked tool box will not help the player if he uses an wrench as a hammer.
     Now on to you first question, limited, but well known book or a broader book.  I am making an assumption that the familiarity with the spells are similar and the difference between the two is one of the pool of available spells.  The limited book has very specific spells and tactics for winning the game, a well versed opening, a solid plan for the mid-game and a method for winning.   Where the broader book is more flexible in its opening with several choices available, more tools for responding to the opponents opening and open-ended on finishing the game.
    With in the parameters listed above, I believe both will be good in different situations.  Verses the unknown opponent, for example a tournament situation, the limited book may be better.  It forces the opponent to respond to your plan.  However, in a situation where you are playing against a smaller pool of opponents or a wide variety of mages, where you spell book and associated tactics are known to the group a broader more flexible spell book would be of more use and allow you to adapt better to an unanticipated situation. 
     But in any case the most important thing is to have an enjoyable game, one that you and your opponent will find memorable. Winning at the cost of enjoyment is not worthwhile, in my humble opinion.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:27:11 AM »
I think it all depends on the person. Some people are better at figuring spells out than others and need less tuning to get a good spellbook. Obviously more card options is better than fewer for building a book, so the key there is how quickly the person is able to fine tune the book. If they can get it in the first pass or two then they'll dominate with the larger spell pool, but if they need multiple passes then the narrower option would be better for them.

Same with copying a spellbook. It depends on if they are able to figure out how to best use the tools provided in it, or will they mismanage it. And then of course the meta you're playing in comes into consideration. It is possible that a copied book that was good in one meta won't be in yours.

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »

The limited book has very specific spells and tactics for winning the game, a well versed opening, a solid plan for the mid-game and a method for winning.   Where the broader book is more flexible in its opening with several choices available, more tools for responding to the opponents opening and open-ended on finishing the game.

Not entirely sure that's always true. Take the Druid, for instance. I'm pretty sure most Druids carry the same spells (some tree and a bunch of plants) but hiw they play it can be VERY different one from another. Of course, the Druid is particularly flexible, but still, what I'm trying to say is: more limited spells is not equal to same strategy over and over again. It might be more easily countered against someone who knows the book, but can still be very efficient in the hands of an expert.

So, my short answer to the question : a spellbook with more limited spells that has been playtested for a long time.

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 04:12:59 AM »
My personal favorite approach is to first learn how the dominant spellbooks work - ideally by playing them or by playing against them. Then you can design a spellbok that is designed to be able to beat these decks.

It's easier to do for the local meta, since you tend to play agains the same players who tend to have their favorite mages and tend to build similar spellbooks, usually including the same basic set of standard spells.

Naturally, once you figured them out and have a spellbook that manages to beat them regularly, you opponents will adapt and change their spellbooks... and thus the cycle continues :)